Transfer Rumour Everton poised to make £25m bid for Celtic full-back Kieran Tierney

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's one thing saying some leagues are stronger than others, but its a completely different thing calling other leagues a joke, and comparing them with made up Kuwaiti leagues.

What a lot of football fans down here, of a certain age, dont get, is where are the the not good, but great Scottish players these days? I get that things move in cycles, but I remember world class Scottish players in England, plus some very very good ones. Seems a very long time since the likes of Gray, Sharpe, Nevin, Dalgish, Souness, Wark, christ, you get the point, were in England. Or Scotland come to that.

Or, you'd just be paying more for the same bang average players..."Hmmm, 120 per week for Man U or Partick Thistle...tough choice"

Are you seriously suggesting Scottish teams, or indeed any team, wouldn't improve if they were handed hundreds of millions of pounds?

Try this question. "Hmmm, KT 85 grand a week to play for Celtic, or 85 grand a week to play for Everton. KT "Aye, that's a tough choice!" ;)

Can't yousejust agree on this

The Scottish league is pretty terrible yo be fair.

But if Celtic rangers where in the prem they'd deffo be up there with the right investment. Massive clubs with massive fan bases

Do you seriously think if Hibs, Hearts, or Aberdeen were handed hundreds of millions they still couldn't compete with teams like Huddersfield, Brighton, and WBA etc? Sky has completely distorted football. I remember Danny Blind saying Ajax couldn't compete with clubs in the English Championship when it came to wages etc. it's insane when Ajax, one of the most famous clubs in the world, can't compete with Championship team when it comes to money.

What a lot of football fans down here, of a certain age, dont get, is where are the the not good, but great Scottish players these days? I get that things move in cycles, but I remember world class Scottish players in England, plus some very very good ones. Seems a very long time since the likes of Gray, Sharpe, Nevin, Dalgish, Souness, Wark, christ, you get the point, were in England. Or Scotland come to that.

Scotland definitely doesn't produce players of the quality of the past. The Scotland international side has two really good young players, and they're both left backs. :(

Scotland definitely doesn't produce players of the quality of the past. The Scotland international side has two really good young players, and they're both left backs. :(

..all the great English sides had a spine of Scots but I suppose back in the 60s the Scottish League was competitive and there was no influx of foreigners to the English game.

Jimmy Gabriel, Alex Young, Alex Scott, Graeme Sharp, Andy Gray. If Everton won something we’d have some Scots.

..all the great English sides had a spine of Scots but I suppose back in the 60s the Scottish League was competitive and there was no influx of foreigners to the English game.

Jimmy Gabriel, Alex Young, Alex Scott, Graeme Sharp, Andy Gray. If Everton won something we’d have some Scots.

Dunc in 95 as well.

One of my best mates is a lad from Glasgow, who`s settled in LIverpool - mad Celtic fan and an Everton fan c/o me !

He reckons a lot it is down to the lack of decent Scots lads coming through, is down to a lack of anywhere n the big cities for kids to play footy on ?.

All the red ash pitches have been built on, hardly any parks in the built up areas etc and kids generally not being arsed anymore.

Tierney plays against the best players in the world when he plays for Celtic in the Champions League mate. I can understand why any player would want to leave Scottish football to play in the Premier League, but Tierney is a real Celtic supporter, not a badge kisser, and the main reason he would go to Everton would be money, and the possibility of eventually moving on to Man Utd, Man City, Spurs, or even your close neighbour. From the info l've heard, he has already turned down a move to an EPL club.

If Virgil van Dijk had signed for Everton from Celtic, the Everton fans would have been making the same points then, as they're making about Tierney on this thread. The fact is, Tierney is a cracking young player, and Everton will be doing well to get him. I know for a fact that Spurs were looking at Tierney, and Ajer.

Some of the opinions on this thread are, to say the least, ill informed, and in some cases, like the one that Celtic wouldn't sign a Muslim player, absolutely bizarre. The arrogance of some of the Everton fans here is absolutely breath taking, especially considering the lack of success the club has had over the last 20 years. Tommy Graveson didn't exactly set the heather on fire when he was up against these "farmers" you speak of.

If Tierney does sign for Everton, and in my opinion it looks like Celtic want to sell one of our top players, you should be really happy about it, as you'll be getting an absolutely fantastic young player, who can only improve.

Of course he is coming for more money. As much as he's a lifelong Celtic fan blah blah blah, we have seen it with Rooney/Rodwell/Barkley/Jeffers etc. Mr Liverpool himself nearly left them for Chelsea. Lifelong young Barca fans leave the biggest club in the world for Arsenal who haven't won the league in years either. It happens all the time, its just that this appears to be the first time its happened to you. Also, like I have said previously, the big clubs wouldnt pay that much for an untested player.

Yes he gets the odd CL games against top players, but is that enough to make him better? Do you honestly think that he will carry on developing? Any player will tell you that they only improve when they play with and against better players. Im not knocking Celtic as they are a fantastic club but its easy talking about trophies when your in a one team league. Its not Celtic's fault that the Scottish league is poor just as its not Everton's fault that Sky plough obscene amounts into the PL but that's the way it is. Tierney may be thinking that if he turn this opportunity down, will he get another?

Utd are back in for Sandro and have Shaw/Young as backup.
City have Mendy with Danilo as backup.
Spurs have Rose with Davies as backup
Chelsea have Alonso and only just spent £20 mill on LB Emerson
Liverpool have Robertson and wont spend £25mill on a backup
Arsenal - maybe but not certain that Emery will be interested.

So looking at the above, who will come in for him? Who will he displace out of those players at the moment? None. He may be looking, thinking if he comes here and proves his quality, its a fact that these teams in 2-3 years will be willing to pay £££ for him and he will get his 'big' move. If he doesn't move now then he may never move. If he's happy to play in and clean up in a 1 team league every year with his boyhood club then good on him but if he wants to develop, he has to move.

Are you seriously suggesting Scottish teams, or indeed any team, wouldn't improve if they were handed hundreds of millions of pounds?

Try this question. "Hmmm, KT 85 grand a week to play for Celtic, or 85 grand a week to play for Everton. KT "Aye, that's a tough choice!" ;)
You could pay him a 150k and he wouldn’t stay fir long. When was the last time a great Scottish young talent stayed is whole career in Scotland.

Status
Not open for further replies.