Everton January transfer window 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me Everton having Tosun and Bernard in the squad is the equivalent of me having a spare tyre in the boot of my car. To say that it's not worth having because I haven't had a puncture for the last 18 months is to completely misunderstand the point. The fact that I don't need it most days will be very quickly negated by the fact that it'll be there on the one occasion that I do need it. Same applies with these two. 'They haven't done much though' isn't justification for losing them as options, otherwise we might as well get rid of about a dozen others while we're at it.

I think having a buckled wheel with a bald tyre in your boot would be a better analogy my son.
God bless.

No clue Phil.

I thought first week of January we'd see a Isco or Khedria come in but Brands doesn't do January, and it's become apparent the focus - possibly rightly so, is to continue to trim the fat and create capacity for the summer. If we have another summer of improvement like last then we'll go to another level.

I don't think at this stage any player coming in gets us 4th - whether they go some way to help us get us 6th is another question...

I feel now like I did when we signed Tosun and Walcott when we signed them in January. What's the point?

If King is available for buttons and willing to come in to compete, then sound.

If not, then I won't cry. We've gone all season with just DCL - Cenk Tosun doesn't count/offered no difference to this team anyway so I don't subscribe to the view we need to replace him.
I said something similar in terms of Tosun not really being in Carlo's favour when you consider he's hardly chosen him, so it's not replacing him as such.

For me, it's more contingency planning in case DCL or Richarlison without having to sacrifice a player from another position and weakening that area.

Alongside that, I've long advocated bringing someone in who will offer flexibility across the front line, allowing rotation and challenging others to perform.

Let's be honest, January is never a sensible time to buy in terms of available options and value for money, however the positions we are in is pretty ridiculous.

Like yourself, King for the right price and on a sensible deal might be a prudent purchase, but my bigger concern is how we've got ourselves into this position.

900k a week in wages saved so far.

Would still rather the can was being kicked down the road.

Won’t help us on the field this season though will it where it ultimately counts.

Can’t wait to put more defenders and keepers on the bench for the next 6 months. Genuinely praying we don’t pick any more injuries up.

For all of these outgoings we have received the stellar sum of 2 million.

Fantastic work from the Don.

Yeah not convinced myself but if we got a list of all players he's got out the door since he's come in, you start to appreciate the scale of the challenge.

The list there is just the last year, the year before was Ashley Williams, James McCarthy, Kevin Mirallas etc.

I said something similar in terms of Tosun not really being in Carlo's favour when you consider he's hardly chosen him, so it's not replacing him as such.

For me, it's more contingency planning in case DCL or Richarlison without having to sacrifice a player from another position and weakening that area.

Alongside that, I've long advocated bringing someone in who will offer flexibility across the front line, allowing rotation and challenging others to perform.

Let's be honest, January is never a sensible time to buy in terms of available options and value for money, however the positions we are in is pretty ridiculous.

Like yourself, King for the right price and on a sensible deal might be a prudent purchase, but my bigger concern is how we've got ourself into this position.

The bit I've bold there - I think the position was dictated to Brands/Ancelotti though so I have sympathy.

I agree with the sentiment, although if I had paid a fortune for the spare tyre and it was costing me loads in interest every week just by keeping it in my car unused, and when I did put it on it was the wrong size and caused me to crash anyway, then the relevance of having it as back up is negated as well.

Especially if someone is willing to buy it from me and I can borrow 1 that is more reliable in the event I need it.
That's the relevant bit. If they're replaced then i've still got the spare tyre, its just a different one. So that's fine. The cost is a different thing though, each place in the league is worth more than we're saving in Tosun's wages, so literally one goal coming off the bench could be worth more than loaning him out.

I think the club ( not the manager or supporters ) is quite content to finish in the top ten, for years we budgeted to finish 12th, if we had 10pts less than we have now, we probably would of signed a striker,
This is nothing new, no value for money in January and not far off 40pts with 20 games left.
They’re all quite content I’d imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.