Everton January transfer window 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trouble is there is no point signing someone for the sake of it, done that for years and been stuck with the duds. We need proper quality and may need to wait for that till the summer.
Nope, no excuse mate.

The player was needed last summer and we've since sent four attackers out (or soon to be gone if Bernard's deal goes through).

We have two attacking options - and we have 19 games of the season left. We are involved in what is turning out to be a 7/8-team push for 3/4 European places (assuming top 2 is Liverpool and City in some order, perhaps Utd third).

The target is Europe, yet squad wise we are weaker in depth than any of our competitors and I include Villa in that. We're marginally better off than West Ham in terms of depth, but Moyeseh has got them into a habit of beating most of the teams they should beat.

It's alright us being able to play at home against top six sides and go on the road and sit back. That's fine. But the games you really need to be winning are your West Hams and Newcastles at home, because there's more poor teams in this league than ones that dominate matches.

There simply has to be a player brought in. A smart club would do it on loan, and it wouldn't need to be a cast off. It could be a player we want to take a look at, or a player we think could offer us some form of what we're missing (which is pace and directness in the forward line).

No excuse.

That's all anyone is saying though a forward on loan.
I’m more talking about the people that think a forward on loan is going to turn us into Bayern Munich.

We need to take some of the workload off DCL so he doesn’t burn out. Barring a Kevin Campbell-esque showing from whoever we may bring in, it’s not going to materially affect our position come the end of the season.

This is not something I would have remotely considered before, but with the clock ticking and no backup forwards, recall Kean? Seriously. He’s not going to have magically more suited to the Prem playing in France, but I would feel a lot happier with him back on the bench to at least have a legit goal scorer. Still could sell him in the summer if it doesn’t work out again.

I’m more talking about the people that think a forward on loan is going to turn us into Bayern Munich.

We need to take some of the workload off DCL so he doesn’t burn out. Barring a Kevin Campbell-esque showing from whoever we may bring in, it’s not going to materially affect our position come the end of the season.

I don't think anybody thinks that

Thing with Costa he can play the long game (10+ hours) as he is a free agent and can sign after Deadline Day and command a silly wage to anybody desperate enough...hopefully not us.

Agree mate. Well it will if we can rest and rotate and have options. One injury to DCL our season is over as it is.

This is not something I would have remotely considered before, but with the clock ticking and no backup forwards, recall Kean? Seriously. He’s not going to have magically more suited to the Prem playing in France, but I would feel a lot happier with him back on the bench to at least have a legit goal scorer. Still could sell him in the summer if it doesn’t work out again.
Not certain but thought there was no recall clause in the deal? It was a straight forward season long deal.

Nope, no excuse mate.

The player was needed last summer and we've since sent four attackers out (or soon to be gone if Bernard's deal goes through).

We have two attacking options - and we have 19 games of the season left. We are involved in what is turning out to be a 7/8-team push for 3/4 European places (assuming top 2 is Liverpool and City in some order, perhaps Utd third).

The target is Europe, yet squad wise we are weaker in depth than any of our competitors and I include Villa in that.

There simply has to be a player brought in. A smart club would do it on loan, and it wouldn't need to be a cast off. It could be a player we want to take a look at, or a player we think could offer us some form of what we're missing (which is pace and directness in the forward line).

No excuse.
“It wouldn’t need to be a cast off” - How many clubs will want to be sending out important squad players on loan in January?!

Good players come at a huge premium in Jan to compensate the selling club for what they’re losing midway through a season, ergo players that ARE available tend to be of lower quality. A forward on loan, that’s of better quality than Tosun - not the hardest boots to fill - is the best we can hope for.

Of the players we’ve let, or are letting go, Bernard probably has the most minutes, so there’s not much to actually replace apart from warm bodies for the sake of it.

I don't think anybody thinks that

Exactly. It’s not about having x player or y player to get us into the CL/Europa really, it’s about having a squad with some depth and quality, capable of stepping in when our other players get injured. It’s all well and good saying the other lads were crap and didn’t get minutes anyways but look at our bench now, there’s nothing there, so we go into the second half of the season praying for no injuries otherwise it’s a case of more squared pegs in round holes. It’s not ideal at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.