Everton January transfer window 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havent you heard? The only thing stopping us winning the league is buying Aarons, Zaha and Verratti.
Surely you have to speculate to accumulate though ? And I'm not saying buy them three players either, Carlo and Brands will deal with that. But we all have a pretty good idea what positions need strengthening and you must admit there has probably never been a better chance of top four in say the last 10 years, so much dross, so many teams in transition and so much uncertainty near the top of the league. This could be our best chance in years to break that glass ceiling.

Would’ve been good if we could just be proactive and get Lamptey from Chelsea last year before he was valued at £40m+ like.

This for me. Some on here wanted Callum Wilson when he was valued at 60 million and Zaha at 70. Now this summer a lot of the shouts were for Grealish, Aarons, Lamptey. We can’t keep imploring the club to buy players when they are at the peak of their value, it’s a ridiculous approach, but yet the same names get flogged to death on here. In 6 months if Lamptey hasn’t done much then no one will be suggesting we buy him but they’re happy to fork out record fees now based on a couple of decent premier league outings.

We need to be finding these players before they join premier league teams which in fairness we’ve been good at with Stones Holgate DCL maybe Branthwaite, perhaps even Godfrey was a bit under the radar considering we got him for half the price of a Tarkowski.

That said though Leicester paid decent money for Maddison, everyone knew about him but only they backed it up with cash. Sometimes you have to take a chance and it doesn’t always pay off.

Throwing absurd fees at players who might not be very good in a few week’s time isn’t the answer though.

This for me. Some on here wanted Callum Wilson when he was valued at 60 million and Zaha at 70. Now this summer a lot of the shouts were for Grealish, Aarons, Lamptey. We can’t keep imploring the club to buy players when they are at the peak of their value, it’s a ridiculous approach, but yet the same names get flogged to death on here. In 6 months if Lamptey hasn’t done much then no one will be suggesting we buy him but they’re happy to fork out record fees now based on a couple of decent premier league outings.

We need to be finding these players before they join premier league teams which in fairness we’ve been good at with Stones Holgate DCL maybe Branthwaite, perhaps even Godfrey was a bit under the radar considering we got him for half the price of a Tarkowski.

That said though Leicester paid decent money for Maddison, everyone knew about him but only they backed it up with cash. Sometimes you have to take a chance and it doesn’t always pay off.

Throwing absurd fees at players who might not be very good in a few week’s time isn’t the answer though.
I'd probably take Grealish off this list as he's actually worth every single penny Villa want but your overall point is right in that we should be the team looking to find these guys and make teams with more money pay absurd fees to us. That doesn't even mean paying nothing, the Richarlison deal is an example of how that can go, but we do need to be a bit more ahead of the curve.

Surely you have to speculate to accumulate though ? And I'm not saying buy them three players either, Carlo and Brands will deal with that. But we all have a pretty good idea what positions need strengthening and you must admit there has probably never been a better chance of top four in say the last 10 years, so much dross, so many teams in transition and so much uncertainty near the top of the league. This could be our best chance in years to break that glass ceiling.
As long as Carlo is here we have a chance.

Sure things are good atm and we are in a good place.

If we can get somebody in I'm all for it, but I don't believe this is our best or last chance, so I personally would rather we kept our powder dry, try and offload some rubbish and hopefully make some more astute signings in the summer.

I realise this view wont be popular, but we don't have a bottomless pit of money and the wrong player now could do more damage than the right player in the summer.

But I would love nothing more than to add a few warm bodies, just think a little realism is needed. I don't think we are in a position to be throwing 40m at a Right back.

Weirdly I dont think Maddison would have thrived here, I think he suits Leicesters squad, the ladbibble little meff.

As long as Carlo is here we have a chance.

Sure things are good atm and we are in a good place.

If we can get somebody in I'm all for it, but I don't believe this is our best or last chance, so I personally would rather we kept our powder dry, try and offload some rubbish and hopefully make some more astute signings in the summer.

I realise this view wont be popular, but we don't have a bottomless pit of money and the wrong player now could do more damage than the right player in the summer.

But I would love nothing more than to add a few warm bodies, just think a little realism is needed. I don't think we are in a position to be throwing 40m at a Right back.
Agree over the shout about the 40m right back, brave p post though, think it's a bit frustrating that we are so close and these bloody injuries keep popping up.

Agree over the shout about the 40m right back, brave p post though, think it's a bit frustrating that we are so close and these bloody injuries keep popping up.
The injuries are exposing the glaring holes in the squad sadly.

I keep saying it, but there's not many teams who have had so many key players missing this season, plus the boy Rico playing like a prime Niasse.

I'd probably take Grealish off this list as he's actually worth every single penny Villa want but your overall point is right in that we should be the team looking to find these guys and make teams with more money pay absurd fees to us. That doesn't even mean paying nothing, the Richarlison deal is an example of how that can go, but we do need to be a bit more ahead of the curve.

Grealish hasn’t been an unknown commodity though has he? I remember him starring in 2015 as Villa beat Liverpool in the cup semi final. Villa were battling relegation and then got relegated, then were a newly promoted team. We could have bid for Grealish at any point in those 5 years and we would have been considered a massive step up. Instead though we wait until Villa are back up, Grealish is their captain, on a new contract, he’s in decent form, gets an England cap or two, and just when his value is at its absolute highest (and possibly the highest it ever will be) we get some on here saying we should break the bank for Grealish. May as well buy Mbappe to go with him whilst we’re at it. Even United couldn’t afford him. It’s a ridiculous notion, just like paying 70 mill for Zaha was. Too many just pick whichever player is in form then demand that the club buys them regardless of price. Crazy approach. The sort of ridiculous approach that landed us with Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Grealish hasn’t been an unknown commodity though has he? I remember him starring in 2015 as Villa beat Liverpool in the cup semi final. Villa were battling relegation and then got relegated, then were a newly promoted team. We could have bid for Grealish at any point in those 5 years and we would have been considered a massive step up. Instead though we wait until Villa are back up, Grealish is their captain, on a new contract, he’s in decent form, gets an England cap or two, and just when his value is at its absolute highest (and possibly the highest it ever will be) we get some on here saying we should break the bank for Grealish. May as well buy Mbappe to go with him whilst we’re at it. Even United couldn’t afford him. It’s a ridiculous notion, just like paying 70 mill for Zaha was. Too many just pick whichever player is in form then demand that the club buys them regardless of price. Crazy approach. The sort of ridiculous approach that landed us with Gylfi Sigurdsson.
I think Grealish would have turned us down to be perfectly honest. And Villa would have asked silly money to. That deal was never in range.

Status
Not open for further replies.