Everton January 2022 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being linked with Dele Ali on loan. Imagine if, given the choice of; Newcastle, Brighton, Burnley, Southampton and picking us, with no manager and in free fall.

It’s certainly a position we need options in, I wouldn’t be opposed to it on loan. Even if it just takes him away from one of our relegation rivals.

https://www.[Publication is blackli...swoop-to-sign-tottenham-midfielder-dele-alli/
Dele Ali is a very talented boy, but you get the impression that football isnt his focus these days, sadly.

Being linked with Dele Ali on loan. Imagine if, given the choice of; Newcastle, Brighton, Burnley, Southampton and picking us, with no manager and in free fall.

It’s certainly a position we need options in, I wouldn’t be opposed to it on loan. Even if it just takes him away from one of our relegation rivals.

https://www.[Publication is blackli...swoop-to-sign-tottenham-midfielder-dele-alli/
Hopefully if motivated he could do well here.

Dele Ali is a very talented boy, but you get the impression that football isnt his focus these days, sadly.
The issue with Ali was always that he wasn't really that good at anything apart from finding space. Now, that in itself is a talent, but it means the system a team plays has to be pretty exact for it to be any good.

I always think he was a bit like Cahil in that sense. Lampard is another one but Lampard had genuinely brilliant ability too.

I think Ali is gifted, like Cahill was, but when you look at him as a player he doesn't really excel at anything. He's not a great passer, he hasn't got amazing vision, he's not going to regularly pop one in from 30 yards or from a free-kick like Lampard could.

He's average to decent at most things but he hasn't really got a position. He isn't a number 10 , he's not a midfielder and he isn't a striker. If he's anything, it's a second striker and not many teams play with those now. Ironically enough, Everton under Benitez very much did, even if fans seemed to think it was 4231, it was much more like a 4411.

Another player I think is similar is Kai Havertz. He's got a bit more technical ability but in terms of where he fits in on the pitch, he's basically a player in between three positions.

Now Cahill was always extremely hard working and had such a long, brilliant career. But those types of players definitely need a manager to play to their strengths, to play them right and find the right way to get that talent to the fore. I will say I think Ali has more natural talent than Cahill and then since he was bombed by Mourinho his confidence is completely shot.

That being said, he is a player who feels like he needs that shot in the arm and if we did get a Lampard or Rooney in, I think he's exactly the type of player who would thrive under a manager like that - Lampard especially just because I think Ali would learn so much from him. Not saying that any of them are the definite answer, but just that I could see it happening.

@Nymzee basically says that he's now content with being the one to put the 'seal of approval' on things and that he's realised that's where the value is. But does also explain that his first break came about because he happened to help the agent who would go on to manage Icardi and Deulofeu.

Status
Not open for further replies.