"Everton have the potential and talent to win titles"- Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.
HK had only just begun to turn it at this stage of his Everton career first time around. It was a lot easier then for a team to come from out of the pack to the top of the pile, as you know.

We put a couple of great cup runs together that season for the platform to be set. Maybe we can do the same this season?

That GK has to go, for sure. HK was more ruthless than RM. He needs to toughen up in terms of saying ta-ra to the 'over the hill mob' and 'the never going to be a player' lot.

@davek yes exactly ... starting with the league cup run that led into the 1984 fa cup run and then finally the following season a team capable of doing it consistently over the whole season. Today i thought we were dismal in the first half but then when Bobby finally saw what the rest of us were seeing i.e. get Kone off and gives Baines some protection and in doing so balance the team up while giving us some bite in midfield with Besic then suddenly we were transformed.

Now hopefully Bobby has seen what happened as well when he did that and if he leaves the team like it is was at the end of the match (substituting jags for Mori & interchanging Besic / McCarthy) and ditches 'flappy' in the goals for the rest of the season then maybe just maybe we can go on a similar run?

@davek yes exactly ... starting with the league cup run that led into the 1984 fa cup run and then finally the following season a team capable of doing it consistently over the whole season. Today i thought we were dismal in the first half but then when Bobby finally saw what the rest of us were seeing i.e. get Kone off and gives Baines some protection and in doing so balance the team up while giving us some bite in midfield with Besic then suddenly we were transformed.

Now hopefully Bobby has seen what happened as well when he did that and if he leaves the team like it is was at the end of the match (substituting jags for Mori & interchanging Besic / McCarthy) and ditches 'flappy' in the goals for the rest of the season then maybe just maybe we can go on a similar run?
Agree with the thoughts/solution in your final paragraph but just can't see him ditching this keeper this season.

So to summarise the past few months on GOT

• Minority of fans voice discontent at lack of positive results
  • Majority of fans tell the minority to pipe down and that the good results will come after tough start
  • Minority of displeased fans grows after results still don't pick up
  • Slightly smaller majority now starts goading slightly bigger minority and tells them they're expecting too much of this squad
  • After results prove themselves to be not up to standard the new emphasis for the slightly Smaller majority is on the calibre of football and not points gained
  • The growing, but still minority of fans displeased say this squad should have more points and victories on the board
  • The majorities focus is now fully on the calibre of football whilst still saying we don't have the squad to finish top 4 so what's the point in finishing 5th-11th
  • Martinez says we can win titles and trophies now.......the majority climb further up his poop hole, despite him having even higher expectations for this squad than the roundly criticised minority did in the first place
What. A. Place
There was a few hundred votes in the match day poll and less than 10% wanted the manager changed as the solution to us improving.

It's the noisy minority which are the problem. The same types that today were goading the best young centre back at Everton I've seen into fuming and reacting to them, and our keeper when he needs to be focused on the game rather than the grumbling behind him from an acne covered beaut who listens to James Richardson podcasts.

My biggest concern is that we have a massive soft underbelly and naivety about us. Even today towards the close it was end to end and I was expecting Everton to throw it away.

Spurs just looked a lot more cohesive and hungry than us until they tired and to be fair Martinez made some positive changes.

I alway want to see an Everton manager talking about winning stuff but I fear before we do there's some fundamental things which need addressing quickly. I hope we do as there's a potentially very good team striving to burst out there and all they need is a sustained run of results to help realise it.

My biggest concern is that we have a massive soft underbelly and naivety about us. Even today towards the close it was end to end and I was expecting Everton to throw it away.

Spurs just looked a lot more cohesive and hungry than us until they tired and to be fair Martinez made some positive changes.

I alway want to see an Everton manager talking about winning stuff but I fear before we do there's some fundamental things which need addressing quickly. I hope we do as there's a potentially very good team striving to burst out there and all they need is a sustained run of results to help realise it.
And a manager to lead us.

And a manager to lead us.
We have one who ticks a lot of the pre requisites we need in a manager. Can be deliver success over a period of time? We will find out.

Chopping and changing managers seldom brings rewards in the Premier League.

Unless we're in serious danger of losing our Premier League status then we should stick for a while unless an outstanding candidate falls into our lap.

Previous "outstanding candidates" considered on here have been Owen Coyle and Michael Laudrup. Excuse me if I'll wait a little longer.

A lot of the personnel chopping and change has to be seen with the midweek game in mind. He's got finite resources and has to juggle. I think he's mostly trying to work the squad fully and that means slightly different shapes because of it....with the good and bad that flows from that.

Its funny how year after year, the same old teams wind up shooting themselves in the foot and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Talent ? yes...Everton has talent. But talent only gets you so far. Potential ? Yes, Everton has potential. Potential only gets you so far. Every year at the Kentucky Derby you see 19 talented colts with potential puke all over themselves as they try to conquer one extra furlong.

To win titles, you need a coach who will never be satisfied with less than a players' best, make wise and different personnel decisions, yet doesn't go so over the top as to lose his team (e.g. Mourinho). And all of this despite their own personal shortcomings. cf Lombardi, Wooden, Belichick.

Funny how the same NFL teams such as the Rams, Browns, Raiders, Jets, Bills, Texans, Jaguars, Dolphins, Giants, Colts and Chargers struggle year after year despite their TV money. The upshot is that he's just another manager and he'll provide thrills, but until he wants to go out on a plank (personally and professionally) to become great and make those around him great, he'll never see titles with Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.