Everton and VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Var is perfect for refs on the pitch. If there not sure they just go to var. They don't have to make a decision now. If they make a decision and var overturns it there is no comeback on them. Great time to be a premier referee

Var is perfect for refs on the pitch. If there not sure they just go to var. They don't have to make a decision now. If they make a decision and var overturns it there is no comeback on them. Great time to be a premier referee

100%

Anthiny Taylor has been the worst for this. Happy to give corners and the odd free mick, blows for kick off, half time, full time, but the amount of times he's been no more than 5 yards away from decisions and not made them is ridiculous. Almost like "doesn't matter if I miss it or don't want to rule on that decision, VAR will let me know"

None of them ever held accountable for their decisions (or lack of)

Although I’m still fuming over Sunday, I was astonished that our goal at OT wasn’t chalked off because of DCL’s arm across de Gea
Thought De Gea was weak on that myself and went up not looking,but that was another one that could have gone both ways really i think,he got away with another one a week or so later at Anfield think it was-everything no matter if VAR or not is almost always subjective-you can have full time refs in VAR but that wont mean they are right,in the same way that making Refs full time as they did was suppose to make them better,also in the same way that they say ex players should become refs etc because they played the game-which for me again it would still be subjective from an ex player

What I find really effing stupid is the lack of contextual judgement in these situations. Listening to all these former refs and pundits defend the decision is painful because when shown literal video evidence they all know that it should be a goal but "by letter of the law" a+b=c so disallow it. If they want to keep VAR they need to have a look at the lawbook because these stubborn rash decisions are gonna keep happening without any logical thinking.
The thing is I don't believe they even got it right by the letter of the law. If they're going by the blocking the keepers sight part of the law then they are saying that Sigurdsson was clearly in the keepers direct line of sight. That's just blatantly untrue. And the law uses the words clearly and direct. That's not me making it up.

There's also a part about preventing the player from making a play. But this part of the law says it has to be obvious. Is it obvious that the reason De Gea didn't get to it was Sigurdsson being there? To me that's a firm no as well.

What I find really effing stupid is the lack of contextual judgement in these situations. Listening to all these former refs and pundits defend the decision is painful because when shown literal video evidence they all know that it should be a goal but "by letter of the law" a+b=c so disallow it. If they want to keep VAR they need to have a look at the lawbook because these stubborn rash decisions are gonna keep happening without any logical thinking.
Watching Ask the Ref or whatever it’s called on Sky Sports, you could see the exasperation on the Sky interviewer’s face when Dermot Gallacher refuted his argument that it should have stood, and then Warnock also said it should have been given! On the plus side, Carlo has made us relevant again, him going onto the pitch has meant half the country is arguing over this.

Watching Ask the Ref or whatever it’s called on Sky Sports, you could see the exasperation on the Sky interviewer’s face when Dermot Gallacher refuted his argument that it should have stood, and then Warnock also said it should have been given! On the plus side, Carlo has made us relevant again, him going onto the pitch has meant half the country is arguing over this.

I like that fella who argues with ferret head Gallagher.

I'd love him to go one further and say to him "with all these mistakes that referees are doing week in week out, along with the VAR official, it's no wonder that no wonder none were selected for the last World Cup and surely that trend is set to continue as its only got worse"

Theres the quotes above. Very strange opinion.
DERMOT'S VERDICT: I saw this and I wasn't sure it was a penalty. I think Sigurdsson gets the shot away, and then goes over the leg of Wan-Bissaka. When you see that there, he collapses.
You can't give a penalty for something that hasn't happened. I don't think it's a foul, I agree he sees the leg coming in but he collapses.

More bs protecting incompetent referees....
If a player slides in, taking someone out in the middle of the pitch after they've played the ball it's a foul, so why not in the box?
Dermot comes from the same town as me ,before he started reffing he supported united think he may have even had a man utd tattoo at one time

I know I'm just a stupid Yank, but has there been any explanation of which part of the offside rule Sigurdsson violated?

Offside position

It is not an offence to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:
  • any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
  • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
  • The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered.
A player is not in an offside position if level with the:
  • second-last opponent or
  • last two opponents
Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
*The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used

or
  • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
  • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
  • been deliberately saved by any opponent
  • A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.
A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

I know I'm just a stupid Yank, but has there been any explanation of which part of the offside rule Sigurdsson violated?

Offside position

• any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
  • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
  • The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered.
  • last two opponents
Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

or
  • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
  • A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.
A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

Makes the rules in rugby union look simple

And this is the whole reason why var has been such a disaster,var should just be an advisory ,onfield ref should have the final decision after watching back a replay of the contested decision,the other major problem is var only seems to be interested in looking at ridiculous offsides(armpits,heels,people sat/lying on the floor) and totally ignores obvious decisions(walcott penalty v brighton),it would help if we didnt have so many substandard referees both on pitch and at stockley park,maybe john moss vision was obscured by his belly when he was laying down in the truck.

Offside position

• last two opponents
Offside offence

[*]preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or

or

Yes, it's the highlighted bit. Looking at videos and pics of it it doesn't look like Sig stopped De Gea seeing and therefor playing the ball, most certainly not "clearly".

However, i'm not sure if "line of vision" does simply mean blocking him from seeing the ball, or simply being in his general eyeline when watching the ball, which Sig clearly was, he was directly in between De Gea and the ball at the moment it hit Maguire.

I don't think it should have been disallowed, general consensus seems to be at 75% in favour of that from fans, pundits and refs.

But i can see, how in law they do have a justification for disallowing it, however harsh.

Yes, it's the highlighted bit. Looking at videos and pics of it it doesn't look like Sig stopped De Gea seeing and therefor playing the ball, most certainly not "clearly".

However, i'm not sure if "line of vision" does simply mean blocking him from seeing the ball, or simply being in his general eyeline when watching the ball, which Sig clearly was, he was directly in between De Gea and the ball at the moment it hit Maguire.

I don't think it should have been disallowed, general consensus seems to be at 75% in favour of that from fans, pundits and refs.

But i can see, how in law they do have a justification for disallowing it, however harsh.

I guess I have issue with 3 things on this:

1) What is "clearly obstructing?" Dictionary seems to suggest this means prevent or hinder. I don't know what level of "in the way" = obstruction of sight, but I would presume it is more than 1%, and so "marginally in the line of sight" does not equal "clearly obstructing." It's of course impossible to know what De Gea's line of sight is, but it does appear that De Gea is clearly tracking the ball before and after deflection in an unhindered manner.
2) "Clear and obvious" error seems a 2x issue when laid on top of "clearly obstructing." I know it's argued that offsides is binary, but this is not an issue of whether he was offside, it is an issue of whether he was obstructing, which is a value call. Is it "clear and obvious" that the ruling on the field was incorrect?
3) Finally, is Maguire's deflection considered "an opponent who deliberately plays the ball" ? If so, then it's not even offside to begin.

This is really #2, again. Whether you consider it potentially disallowable or potentially allowable is very different from whether you consider the decision on the field a "clear and obvious error." The correction should be based on incontrovertible evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.