Everton 3-1 Manchester United. Saturday 20th February @ 12.45.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton looked like a top four team today. Both teams had a mid-week game.

I have rarely seen Man U dominated in the middle like they were today. Osman and Arteta were able to play all day long. They were never left without options because the spacing and movement off the ball was superb. Whenever a right midfielder can pick up a knock down like Billy did on the goal, it means that the opponent has been stretched vertically and caught out. That only happens when the midfield has been able to dictate consistently for long periods of time. Even early in the game there were signs that the Everton midfield might gain ascendancy.

They did it as a unit, and as the game went on, and the ball movement became more fluid the Man U midfield became a sieve, unable to hold the Toffees at all. The telling moment for me was a sequence when Osman received the ball and was able to literally look about the park three times as if to say, "Hmm, who shall I play. Nope, I can to better. Ah, well, not bad, but... There, I'll play him." Man U's middle had been worked so thoroughly that they could only react to the movement around them.

Donovan, Arteta, Osman, Pienaar, and Billy all found themselves in threatening the goal. Everton runs came from all angles, overlapping wide, Baines out of the back. It was like a cauldron of boiling movement in front of the back four. Saha made dozens of intelligent space-making runs that were followed closely by players running out of midfield. King Louis was involved in every play, but without necessarily even being in the picture. His looping run opened up the play for Rodzilla and his diagonal run set up the knockdown for Billy.

I found it very interesting that when Gosling came on LD took on a more advanced role and there was an offensive explosion. It pushed the Man U defenders even farther away from the midfield. Carrack has probably never been worked over like he was today. He spent the whole day chasing the game and the Man U defenders played on their heels.

This Everton midfield is very fast, very technical and very hard to mark when they are running off each other and changing positions like they were today. They open spaces in which to play and can exploit those spaces in an instant.

Sorry. Long post, but it is very rare to see a team play a game like this one, a work of art, a masterpiece of sublime quality.

Honestly agree with every word. Couldn't have put it any better. ;)

Please Please Please Mr Moyes don't turn Rodwell into a center half. That goal was pure class, and shows that he has everything require to be genuine all-round (not just a defensive) midfield player that opposition teams will fear.

Everton looked like a top four team today. Both teams had a mid-week game.

I have rarely seen Man U dominated in the middle like they were today. Osman and Arteta were able to play all day long. They were never left without options because the spacing and movement off the ball was superb. Whenever a right midfielder can pick up a knock down like Billy did on the goal, it means that the opponent has been stretched vertically and caught out. That only happens when the midfield has been able to dictate consistently for long periods of time. Even early in the game there were signs that the Everton midfield might gain ascendancy.

They did it as a unit, and as the game went on, and the ball movement became more fluid the Man U midfield became a sieve, unable to hold the Toffees at all. The telling moment for me was a sequence when Osman received the ball and was able to literally look about the park three times as if to say, "Hmm, who shall I play. Nope, I can to better. Ah, well, not bad, but... There, I'll play him." Man U's middle had been worked so thoroughly that they could only react to the movement around them.

Donovan, Arteta, Osman, Pienaar, and Billy all found themselves in threatening the goal. Everton runs came from all angles, overlapping wide, Baines out of the back. It was like a cauldron of boiling movement in front of the back four. Saha made dozens of intelligent space-making runs that were followed closely by players running out of midfield. King Louis was involved in every play, but without necessarily even being in the picture. His looping run opened up the play for Rodzilla and his diagonal run set up the knockdown for Billy.

I found it very interesting that when Gosling came on LD took on a more advanced role and there was an offensive explosion. It pushed the Man U defenders even farther away from the midfield. Carrack has probably never been worked over like he was today. He spent the whole day chasing the game and the Man U defenders played on their heels.

This Everton midfield is very fast, very technical and very hard to mark when they are running off each other and changing positions like they were today. They open spaces in which to play and can exploit those spaces in an instant.

Sorry. Long post, but it is very rare to see a team play a game like this one, a work of art, a masterpiece of sublime quality.

Excellent post, you summed the game up perfectly.

There wasn't a defensive minded player in that midfield, just five intelligent, versatile, hardworking midfielders. We where very fluid all game, constantly moving and interchanging.

It was very enjoyable to watch all round really, and it's not often I say that, I'm always one for picking out faults and things we can work on.

Please Please Please Mr Moyes don't turn Rodwell into a center half. That goal was pure class, and shows that he has everything require to be genuine all-round (not just a defensive) midfield player that opposition teams will fear.

In one of Moyes's interview he said something like that, that he thought because of his size you think he has to be a defensive midfielder, but he thinks he's better when he's going forward like that.

Donovan was Sick?

Until just a few moments ago, I hadn't heard that Donovan had the flu. My guess is he's feeling much better now. :D

There wasn't a defensive minded player in that midfield, just five intelligent, versatile, hardworking midfielders. We where very fluid all game, constantly moving and interchanging.

It was very enjoyable to watch all round really, and it's not often I say that, I'm always one for picking out faults and things we can work on.

Me too, but there was nothing to pick on, nobody had a bad game.

efc__1266680593_rooney-despondent.jpg

Buzz and King Louis have definitely got something going on there.

HaHa lollollol

You were right about having Piennar in the centre instead of Donovan. was a good move by Moyes having LD on the left and Bily on the right. Probably realised he'd link up with Baines in a similar way to Piennar. Superb display. All came together yesterday. The approach play, movement off the ball, pressurising the defense. we've been threatening to put in that type of all round performance with three excellent goals from open play. Didn't think it would be against the champions though

The result had been a long time coming(10 years in fact) An when Berb scored i thought heres we go again, there thier customary jammy goal, as it flicked off Distan an landed perfectly at Berbs feet.

Then suddenly out of nothing really Bily shows us what he capable of and scores a utterly brillaint goal that complete bamboozed one of the best keepers the worlds ever seen. An suddenly Everton realized WE CAN BEAT THESE. Our midfield then started to play together and work together and pull Utd defence all over the place.
Rooney unhappy at having Berb as a partner had a shocking game, which really helped us. As they couldn't keep the ball up front. So it kept going back at them.
Pienaar was everywhere as usual. Donovan was outstanding and Heits was a rock.
Distan made up for his mistake for the first goal in the last 2 minutes by heading away Rooney free kick.
Goslin and Rodders were both fantastic when they came on.

Best performance by an Everton team i think i've ever seen.

This was an absolutely, fantastic game. I can't think of anyone who had a bad game. Pienaar, Osman, Bily and Donovan stood out, really the entire midfield was like a flash flood against the Manu defense.

I bellowed 5 or 6 times during the game and my wife had to tell me to shut up and stop scaring the pets and the kids.lol

Freaking beautiful.

Come.
On.
You.
Blues.

My god, I am truly hooked on this team.

I have 1 gripe, Leighton Baines, the lad is a top class player, but his game isnt helped by the massive [Poor language removed]* in the GSE who think they can tell him how to defend.

They think that if the other team puts their winger on the touchline, that Baines should go over and mark him, what the cluessless clowns fail to realise, is the frigging huge gap in our back line that would leave.

So if your reading this and you shout stuff to Baines like "FFS GET OVER BAINES", 1 day, im gonna slot you.

Status
Not open for further replies.