Europa league ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

daza_1973

Player Valuation: £60m
With the possiblity of european football looking increasingly good after Utd's win today - Does anyone know what the format for this new 'Europa league' is next season - sounds exotic is it just the same old comp....with a new name???

Its practically the same, theyve just renamed the thing and the 1st round from previous years is now a qualifying round (which we all considered it to be anyway).

Its practically the same, theyve just renamed the thing and the 1st round from previous years is now a qualifying round (which we all considered it to be anyway).

They are renaming the UEFA Cup to the Europa League for reasons i am uncertain of, yet the continue with the UEFA Champions League despite the name being false advertisement. What part of "Champions" do those numb skulls not understand??

The group stage is expanded to include 12 groups of four teams each. Each team plays the other three sides on a home-and-away basis, with the top two teams in each of the 12 groups progressing to the Round of 32.

I think thats the biggest and most noteworthy change. It should have been like that from the start.

I think thats the biggest and most noteworthy change. It should have been like that from the start.

I wasnt aware of that, we can look forward to 3 guaranteed away trips then should we get further than this year.

But failing Champions League dropouts are rewarded for entering the tournament at a later stage which gives them greater chances to win the Europa League having played less games than the original participants. UEFA once again are favouring the "so-called" bigger clubs despite Plattini apparently creating a more level playing field.

But failing Champions League dropouts are rewarded for entering the tournament at a later stage which gives them greater chances to win the Europa League having played less games than the original participants. UEFA once again are favouring the "so-called" bigger clubs despite Plattini apparently creating a more level playing field.

Rangers for example (n)

Rangers for example (n)

Well Rangers are no bigger than Everton, infact they are a lesser side. If they and Celtic where in the English Premier League, they would finish mid-table each and every season. I was both upset then pleased when Rangers was beaten by Zenit St Petersburg. I was upset by former Evertonian's David Weir and Walter Smith when they showed the UEFA Cup no respect when they entered it through their Champions League failure, calling it has scant consolation. Strange how they changed there tunes once they reached the Final but where turned over by Zenit, a club side who played through the earlier stages and deserved to win the trophy.

does anybody know if the prize money involved in the yooropa league, has been notched up at all?
If they are trying to claw back some prestige by rebranding it, I would have thought an obvious thing to do would be to ramp up the pathetic amount of money on offer compared to the champions league!

So it's just 11 matches to the final then? :oops:

Not good really is it but UEFA want to tart up a competition they will soon scrap alltogether. It will never happen but they should bring back the Cup Winners Cup back, the European Cup for Champions of their domestic Leagues ONLY, and keep the UEFA Cup for those that finish second in thier own domestic Leagues. Like i said. it will never happen but it should.

Not good really is it but UEFA want to tart up a competition they will soon scrap alltogether. It will never happen but they should bring back the Cup Winners Cup back, the European Cup for Champions of their domestic Leagues ONLY, and keep the UEFA Cup for those that finish second in thier own domestic Leagues. Like i said. it will never happen but it should.

I wished they'd just expand the CL and have done with it. And by that I dont mean Platini offering some friggin' Bulgarian outfit called Club Internazionale Sofia a freebie, just give the powerhouse leagues an extra place or two. Selfish? You bet. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.