English Football League Trophy 2016/17 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
great for us i believe, i feel it would only hinder lower league clubs, but who knows. maybe they can spot more possible loans as a result ... even though i would hope we could loan players to a higher level.

Lets ask Real Madrid to blood their young lads in first two rounds of the FA Cup.

Same thing.

Let's say Delal Brewster or someone goes on loan for a season to Coventry or wherever, and then our U21's get drawn against Coventry in this. Who does he play for?

Let's say Delal Brewster or someone goes on loan for a season to Coventry or wherever, and then our U21's get drawn against Coventry in this. Who does he play for?

And the irony being he was on loan to get said experience.

Lets ask Real Madrid to blood their young lads in first two rounds of the FA Cup.

Same thing.

To be fair, the Johnstones Paints Trophy wasn't exactly a big deal. Most of the smaller clubs involved in the voting wanted it. It's not like a proud history is being tainted. It's better than the alternative on the table, which was B teams joining the Football League. Ironically that's the system in Spain, where Real Madrid have a B team in the Spanish 3rd Division to blood their youngsters. They won their league this past season but were ineligible for promotion as per the rules about B teams not getting promoted beyond the 3rd division.

To be fair, the Johnstones Paints Trophy wasn't exactly a big deal. Most of the smaller clubs involved in the voting wanted it. It's not like a proud history is being tainted. It's better than the alternative on the table, which was B teams joining the Football League.

Oh christ yes. That would have been even worse! Just like the smaller clubs having their competition, which they like. And being frank, non of them target it as a pre season priority. But as they progress, it becomes really important to them.

It's a curious thing that the Football League would rather invite 16 Premier League academies to participate than the 24 teams in the Championship and just rebrand it as the FL72 cup

Same thing.

The likes of Real Madrid , Barcelona etc have a B team and in some intstancesa C team playing in the Spanish league structure. what goes on there is far worse than this proposal.

Need to see what the rules are regarding player eligibility for the PL rule in the under 21 league that they can play over age players would be an issue but putting on academy team in each of the groups will create an interest that may well produce an extra few £

I think full credit for trying something different for until you test these sort of things you really don't know anything for a fact.

It's a curious thing that the Football League would rather invite 16 Premier League academies to participate than the 24 teams in the Championship and just rebrand it as the FL72 cup

I suspect that was thought about but the number of games championship teams play already is significantly higher and based on them getting exemption to the 3rd round of the FA cup I suspect it was thought that they wouldn't take this trophy seriously till the later stages whereas the academy teams will play to full strength.

So let me get this straight

Our under 21's are about to acheive that bigger club southampton's greatest achievement?

Why not disadvantage the PL teams further and have an open draw. There might be a few tough groups to negotiate.

I think that FIFA and UEFA should adopt this. For example instead of 10 groups of 5 teams trying to qualify with the present seeding format change to the following

Pot 1 15 teams
Pot 2 10 teams
Pot 3 10 teams
Pot 4 10 teams
Pot 5 5 teams.

Now draw 10 Seeds and 5 teams drop into Pot 2 - repeat again and 5 drop into Pot 3. This makes the draw more imbalanced and reduces the chances of the top teams sleepwalking into the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.