English Football League Trophy 2016/17 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerbyshireAndHarper

Player Valuation: £2.5m
Thought this was interesting. They've rebranded the Johnstones Paint Trophy as the English Football League Trophy, and it appears Everton will be submitting an U21s team to participate against League 1 & 2 teams next season.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-set-enter-team-revamped-11457015

Also here on the Football League site: http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/premier-league-trial-for-the-trophy-3140598.aspx

EFL Clubs have agreed, at their 2016 summer conference, to pilot a new format for the EFL Trophy as part of their ongoing commitment to creating more and better home grown players.
The one season trial for season 2016/17 will include 64 teams made up of EFL League One and Two clubs, plus an additional 16 category 1 Premier League academy/under-21 sides.

Central to the competition will be the introduction of a new group stage format with 16 regional groups of four teams. The top two teams will progress to the knockout stages of the competition with the final staged at Wembley Stadium in April 2017.

Full details for 2016/17’s competition will be finalised within the next 14 days.

Wembley final on offer in April. The idea of regional groups of 4 is interesting too.

Gives our young players more experience in 'proper' games and gives smaller clubs more revenue, don't you think mate?

If Everton goes to, say, Accrington Stanley, they'll be a decent draw and they'll get a good gate from us and our fans.
I like the concept. Will only benefit our youngsters playing against older/seasoned professionals imo.

Gives our young players more experience in 'proper' games and gives smaller clubs more revenue, don't you think mate?

If Everton goes to, say, Accrington Stanley, they'll be a decent draw and they'll get a good gate from us and our fans.

Well if a PL side wants to give their players more experience in "proper" games, play them in one. Not hijack an established competition that has developed into a well liked and rated competition for the very clubs it was designed for.

And if the PL are so concerned about the revenue that Accrington Stanley might get, well, there are tons of ways the PL could address that.

What would actually be a better idea, if the PL are in such a benevolent mood these days, would be tell their clubs to play U21s in the League Cup. A competition that they are allowed to play in.

Well if a PL side wants to give their players more experience in "proper" games, play them in one. Not hijack an established competition that has developed into a well liked and rated competition for the very clubs it was designed for.

And if the PL are so concerned about the revenue that Accrington Stanley might get, well, there are tons of ways the PL could address that.

What would actually be a better idea, if the PL are in such a benevolent mood these days, would be tell their clubs to play U21s in the League Cup. A competition that they are allowed to play in.

Some good points mate. I know it's not ideal. I did read that the Premier League have contributed over half the prize money for this coming season, and that the prize money on offer has nearly tripled, from £700,000 for the winners in 2015/16 to £1.9m for the winners in 2016/17. That's what a lot of the smaller clubs care about the most, money. There's also no guarantee the Premier League youth sides will win it. I guess we'll know more this coming season. I think it's worth a go.

This is the only chance some clubs get to win something and now it'll probably be taken away. Not sure I'm a fan

As a follower of, at the time, a lower league team, Bristol City, it wasnt the winning it so much, it was the thrill of seeing them at Wembley. Now that has been downgraded a bit with Play Off finals and that, but even so, at the time, seeing them at Wembley was a thrill. Not sure a final between 2 PL U21s would get the same response. Nor attendance.

Some good points mate. I know it's not ideal. I did read that the Premier League have contributed over half the prize money for this coming season, and that the prize money on offer has nearly tripled, from £700,000 for the winners in 2015/16 to £1.9m for the winners in 2016/17. That's what a lot of the smaller clubs care about the most, money. There's also no guarantee the Premier League youth sides will win it. I guess we'll know more this coming season. I think it's worth a go.

Well they say its a trial, but as long as the final say on if it is adopted permanently is the Football League, then I guess that would be their own goose they are maybe cooking.

FWIW, I feel exactly the same with CL failures dropping into the EL.

An interesting note to add is that the Academy teams will be at a disadvantage in the group stage, as they will only be allowed one home game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36503204

The changes will see the 16 academy sides evenly distributed throughout the groups alongside the League One and League Two clubs, with the competition continuing to run on a north/south basis until the final.

Each team will play each other once in the group stage, with the academy team getting just one home game. The knockout stages will be single ties apart from the semi-finals, where there will be two legs.

As a follower of, at the time, a lower league team, Bristol City, it wasnt the winning it so much, it was the thrill of seeing them at Wembley. Now that has been downgraded a bit with Play Off finals and that, but even so, at the time, seeing them at Wembley was a thrill. Not sure a final between 2 PL U21s would get the same response. Nor attendance.

Im the same, I follow Rochdale and we rarely have anything to shout about and this is the only real chance we have of doing well and winning something, feels like theres now nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.