Dyche; A Great Achievement?

In the grand scheme of things you'd say good achievement coz on points alone it looks like an improvement. But I would have preferred us to pick up points consistently at a steady rate over the season rather than too many draws early on, then a good streak, followed by a very worrying wrinkles streak then another purple patch. Not good for the nerves! Hopefully we can kick on and start winning more of those games against mediocre teams more comfortably and not relying on getting something in the tougher games, getting more confidence, creativity and end product in the team and start to believe in ourselves instead of playing with so much caution.

That 14 game run was a tough iternary at a time of utter chaos behind the scenes. I think Dyche has done a superb job. He’s not as outwardly loveable as other managers but he has my respect

He’s a dour pragmatist, the football is awful to watch but as long as we retain quality in goal and at CB, he’ll keep us up, and results will be ok ish.

So, depends if you are happy to watch that and how long for.

He’s a dour pragmatist, the football is awful to watch but as long as we retain quality in goal and at CB, he’ll keep us up, and results will be ok ish.

So, depends if you are happy to watch that and how long for.
Thing is, we've tried the possession based attacking football approach with the likes of Martinez and Silva and looks where that got us.

The only approach that seems to work is the Moyes, Allardyce, Dyche one sadly. Whether that is because we never get the right players to suit other systems is another matter. But in the situation we are in currently, we can't afford to change successfully.

Thing is, we've tried the possession based attacking football approach with the likes of Martinez and Silva and looks where that got us.

The only approach that seems to work is the Moyes, Allardyce, Dyche one sadly. Whether that is because we never get the right players to suit other systems is another matter. But in the situation we are in currently, we can't afford to change successfully.

Martinez and Silva both finished higher than Allardyce or Dyche.

Defensive managers are a dying breed, look at the diminishing returns from Allardyce, Benitez and even Mourinho.

We’ll have to change to a more progressive coach at some point. It won’t be this summer obviously.

Without a doubt a sound achievement. Would love us to play attractive football, but it's just not possible for a club as screwed as ours right now. Love it or hate it, he's the perfect manager for us at the moment, and we'd likely have been relegated 12 months ago without him.

Moyes had to deal with his own issues and I distinctly remember getting taken to task for backing him early on...to me, this is history repeating itself but I'm on the other side now. Up to Dyche how it plays out long term; I'm not hopeful obviously.
Didn’t everyone back Moyes? He was another one. Had his limitations but he steadied the ship at a time it needed a captain. Dyche has done the same. I would actually say under the circumstances he’s done better than Moyes.

Or even later on, for that matter.

_74371768_021980407-1.jpg

Great Everton Managers are judged on the trophy’s they win, I’ve had the great pleasure to have watched the Catterick and Kendall years but I got a bit of stick after suggesting that if Dyche keeps us up it should genuinely be considered one of the great Everton managerial achievements.

Players and staff don’t live in a vacuum, the off-field issues have to manifest themselves on the pitch;

- avoided relegation in the last day of the season but despite an obvious lack of quality in the squad a great improvement saw us moving along nicely until the first points deduction kicked in.
- players playing with freedom become uptight, the crowd becomes nervous. 8 points deducted but the reality is its cost us more than that. Rooney was saying in the week how impossible it is to manage a club with points deducted.
- shambles off the pitch, an absent owner, the conflict with the Board. The chairman passes away, the Board sacked and transitioned to new personnel. No money for January transfers.
- lack of quality in key positions, no goalscorer yet he found a way to accumulate points. He’s coped with injuries and still kept us competitive.
- through all the issues he’s protected the players and I never thought for one minute he’d ‘lost the dressing room’.
- we all have our selection issues but he’s uncomplicated and pragmatic. Defensively outstanding, players not found wanting for effort.

I believe keeping us up this season is one of the great managerial achievements in my 60+ years watching. Dyche is unpopular on here but I didn’t mind watching his team earlier in the season, defended well but got players forward and created chances. When the going got tough he’s done what he needed to get us over the line.

We’re safe, we can have the discussion on how well Dyche did.
Good post