Confirmed Signing Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_20220728_061607.png

Watched a good tactical video about him from 6 months ago and the guy convinced me(again the video was 6 months ago so unintential on his part) that he might actually really fit Lampards side. His strengths are his defensive work, winning headers, 50/50 balls, crossing, and hitting long passes. He said he actually is probably better suited to play in the middle(maybe even transitioning to midfield at some point) and then floating out wide from time to time to hit good crosses in.

Seems this is exactly how Lampard wants to play, with the wingbacks providing the main width, leaving the likes of Gordon and McNeil to instead play closer in much of the time and not playing as pure wingers. For a hard worker who is very good dribbling in tight spaces this may suit him well. 2022/2023 Everton may be his perfect situation. Also considering his defensive ability is so good, the fact we will probably have to play on the back-foot much of the time also seems ideal(not for us, for him). If he cant perform in that with DCL as a better target than he had at Burnley, he likely just wont make it.

Will start ahead of Gray, pushing Gray to the bench as an impact sub.

Gives us options as he's a completely different kind of player to Gray.

Right kind of attitude, work ethic, good on the ball, good deliver of the ball, doesn't look to constantly shirk having the ball.

Overall s good signing that improves the team.

Now go sort that centre mid out please Thelwell

Listened to the vastly varying opinions of him on here and do seem to get the impression that not many players are good enough for us despite our lowly position as a PL team. I offer my opinion that Dwight McNeil being a player that can win a ball back, protect the ball and create time and space would be a bargain at £15m -£20m. He would be the type of player that could hold the ball up and get other players into play and raise our possession stats substantially. Add crosses into the mix if DCL is up for it and we could see much needed points added to any tally we get. Thumbs up from me

Don’t forget Dele. He thrives off late runs into the box

The more I reflect on this, the more I think it is a good signing. Is he what we needed most? No, is he a direct replacement for Richy? No, but he is young, relatively cheap and whenever I have seen him play seems pretty decent.

He's got a good delivery on him, good touch, seems pretty composed and can pick a pass. Will compliment some of our other pacier more frenetic attacking options nicely.

Dare I say it we struggled last year due to the lack of the icelandic's one ability to pick a pass out so signing McNeil I think will help solve that.

Listened to the vastly varying opinions of him on here and do seem to get the impression that not many players are good enough for us despite our lowly position as a PL team. I offer my opinion that Dwight McNeil being a player that can win a ball back, protect the ball and create time and space would be a bargain at £15m -£20m. He would be the type of player that could hold the ball up and get other players into play and raise our possession stats substantially. Add crosses into the mix if DCL is up for it and we could see much needed points added to any tally we get. Thumbs up from me
Far to calm and considered a post for on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.