Confirmed Signing Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because, as proven season after season after season, in the main, basically 99% of the time, we are absolutely crap at signing players. We sign players who are too expensive, we sign players who are injury prone, we sign players who have a bad attitude, we sign players who are simply crap.

It's very rare that we sign a player that ticks a lot of the boxes of a positive signing let's be honest.
So when that changes and we look to sign a young English player with potential and PL experience for a reasonable fee with sell on value, is there still a frenzy? Can't we just wait and judge when he plays?

Always one tedious bore who brings out the bedwetting comment. Caring about the future of your football club isn't wetting the bed.

McNeil is plan B, C or D. He does not improve the attacking aspect of our team irrespective of how we need to structure our payments.

Just because a Vauxhall Corsa is cheaper on finance it doesn't make it a good car.
That's not the definition of bed wetting though and that's not what people object to.

True but the people I was replying to where moaning about the price of him Vs cornet.

Realistically we are never going to replace Richy with someone as good are we.

I'd rather spread the money over 2/3 hungry young players than try splash 60 mil on trying to find an exact Richy clone
That’s a fair point, I think my main point of frustration is that we don’t appear to bother scouting anywhere but the UK, despite consistently getting burned by overpaying for absolutely crap players. Overall I’m happy with the signing of Tarkowski as he’s demonstrably better than our existing crop of crabs at centre back, but McNeil is a massive, massive downgrade on Richarlison

It's one of those signings where if you are a fan of one of the other clubs that was linked with him you are beyond relieved to have "missed out". Unfortunately, for us it's one of those where we think why/how haven't the front office learnt from signings like Walcott, Bolasie etc in the past. Rinse and repeat sadly.
How he’s 22?

don’t hate the signing, £15m on a PL experienced 22 year old who is half decent is not the worst business in the world at all - should be coming in as a back up to an exciting winger of higher calibre but we’re a sh!tshow atm so take what you can get really

True but the people I was replying to where moaning about the price of him Vs cornet.

Realistically we are never going to replace Richy with someone as good are we.

I'd rather spread the money over 2/3 hungry young players than try splash 60 mil on trying to find an exact Richy clone
I’d prefer we employed scouts with a working knowledge of the world beyond Lancashire, Merseyside and the West Midlands.

We would have got as much or more next season from Jeffrey Schlupp and he would have cost buttons enabling the front office to save the £15-20 million to spend on a proper DCM.

Raises our floor as far as I'm concerned. He's not a player that will let you down. But we really needed someone else to deliver good balls and take set pieces, and I think McNeil can be part of the puzzle there. For me it all depends on how much money we can spend after this signing. But stand alone it's very good value.

Status
Not open for further replies.