Donovans experience of the Prem. Realistic or not?

Has Donovan seen the real Everton, and the real Prem?

• Yes

Votes: 32 91.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've kept this seperately from the main Donovan thread, as it's not really connected with that thread as such, and would be a little off topic if mixed.

Regarding Donovans experience of the Premiership.

He had his debut against Arsenal, and joined what would be considered an Everton team in good form.

The matches he has played for us are as follows:

Arsenal
Man City
Birmingham
Sunderland
Wigan
Liverpool
Chelsea
Sporting
Man United
Sporting
Tottenham
Hull
And possibly Birmingham again.

With the exception of Villa, he has experienced playing for Everton against the cream of English football, and a very famous Portugese side.

Life for Donovan (football wise) will have been very exciting during his stay with us, especially as we have been playing well, and had good results against the big sides.

We've topped the form table too, and played good football.

1. Do you think he has had a realistic experience of life with Everton?
With the exception of Liverpool, who beat us because we didn't turn up, and that can be said for Sporting too, the top sides normally beat us, and have been known to beat us quite heavily in the process. Our results against these teams weren't typical, nor predicted, so has he seen only the highs in the Prem, and not the lows, like when Arsenal beat us 6-1 on the opening day?

2. Do you think he has had a realistic experience of life in the Premiership?
His matches happened to coincide with a run of fixtures against the best sides. Would he have enjoyed his experience so much had his fixture list not included such mouth watering fixtures, and instead consisted of matches against the much more mediocre sides in the division? And what if we had not been in Europe?

3. Would he be wanting to extend his loan had we been beaten in most matches, and in poor form?
It's no secret that Moyes has broken his curse a few times against the top sides this year. Historically, they smash us all over the place. Had this happened, would he be so keen to stay?

4. Has he been a major impact, and the reason for such a good spell?
What difference do you think he has made to our teams performances during these matches? Would we have still gained such good results without him?

5. Are we genuinely turning the corner, or have we just been fortunate this time round?
Are we seeing the start of a new era for Everton? A team no longer willing to lie down for the top 4, or was this just a fluke, and we should expect normal services to resume next season against them?
The top 4 teams have been off colour this season. Will they return to domination or have the underdogs finally caught up, and given the bullies a black eye they won't forget in a hurry?

1: I think he has had a realistic shock of true fan support from Everton
2: He was stoked to play such top sides
3: Probley not, unless he had the same fan support even w/loss
4: I think he was a fuel for a fire that was starting to sprout
5: If we stay injury free than we can compete with anyone, anywhere.. I think if Donovan leaves than that could damper spirits.. Lets hope not..

1. No - You can't have a realistic Everton experience until you rip no fewer than 2 of your knee ligaments at the height of your powers. Granted there is still time.

2. Yes

3. Maybe - if he was having a good run of form. Playing for a lousy Everton side beats playing against Kansas City anyday.

4. Yes - we actually have a threat on the right side now, something I haven't seen since I've been watching Everton over the past 6 years. Even Arteta was lousy when he was deployed on the right side.

5. If few/no injuries next season yes. The top of the prem is so much better than it was a few years ago though.

1. No - You can't have a realistic Everton experience until you rip no fewer than 2 of your knee ligaments at the height of your powers. Granted there is still time.

2. Yes

3. Maybe - if he was having a good run of form. Playing for a lousy Everton side beats playing against Kansas City anyday.

4. Yes - we actually have a threat on the right side now, something I haven't seen since I've been watching Everton over the past 6 years. Even Arteta was lousy when he was deployed on the right side.

5. If few/no injuries next season yes. The top of the prem is so much better than it was a few years ago though.

What is about KC? My least favoritte team in the world for some reason.. maybe its cuz they are the "wizards" <-- Stupid

Not to mention that childs field they were playing on last year.. ugh..

The only reason why they have a team is because of Lamar Hunt. Hunt may have been the only fella in Kansas City who actually liked footie and now he's dead, so its time to bury the team with him.

He would experience the real Everton when were two nil down to Villa in the pouring rain in December and he's getting booed.
True. I think Donovan would handle that like a champ though. His Galaxy team hasn't always been good, and he dealt with some tougher times in Germany.

What is about KC? My least favoritte team in the world for some reason.. maybe its cuz they are the "wizards" <-- Stupid

Not to mention that childs field they were playing on last year.. ugh..
Their stadium is awkward, but the pitch itself is one of the nicest in the league, actually. That may be because they bring in fresh grass though? I pulled this information from the MLS players themselves, I have never been there.

The only reason why they have a team is because of Lamar Hunt. Hunt may have been the only fella in Kansas City who actually liked footie and now he's dead, so its time to bury the team with him.
Yikes! lol

KCWiz is well-situated geographically. The nearest MLS teams in the region are Chicago (~10 hour drive) and Dallas (about the same). For that reason alone, the team is financially viable so long as they are realistic about their profit margins. If the MLS or USL/NASL can establish franchises in Memphis and maintain the St. Louis experiment, I feel that the profile of the sport in the region can be improved. I think the situation could be similar to the Vancouver/Seattle/Portland region.

But back to the original topic:
As to Donovan, he has not experienced tough times with the club, so his experience can't be wholly realistic; but he's a veteran player and has matured. If he ever feels like he has found a home at Everton among the fans, his teammates, and the leadership I don't think hard times will sour his loyalty to the club. If anything, it would motivate him.

Status
Not open for further replies.