Current Affairs Donald Trump POS: Judgement cometh and that right soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
He tried in either 2009 or 2010 but the other media outlets supported Fox News and the WH relented

It turns out that the whole "Obama tried to ban Fox News" is actually a fake story. Fox was never banned by Obama...they just reported it that way. But what happened was that the Department of the Treasury (not the White House) omitted Fox News from some press conference, because Fox news never submitted an request to attend the press conference. The other networks, based on a mutual agreement of sharing news, insisted Fox should be there even if they forgot to submit a request. It wasn't "Obama versus Fox" or anything like that.
 
White House scrambles to damp down scandal over FBI inquiry into Russia ties
  • Trump spokesman says FBI called links ‘BS’ but agency has yet to comment
  • Ex-CIA chief John Brennan warns White House to ‘steer clear’ of investigation



The White House chief of staff, Reince Priebus, urged the FBI’s director and deputy director to publicly debunk the story of Trump campaign links with Russia. They declined. Photograph: Joshua Roberts/Reuters
Shares
410


Tom McCarthy



Sunday 26 February 2017 18.26 GMTLast modified on Sunday 26 February 2017 19.38 GMT

The White House made a messy attempt on Sunday to control public perceptions of a widening scandal over alleged contacts between aides to Donald Trump and Russian intelligence officials during the 2016 election, alleging that the FBI had dismissed reports of such links.

The scandal has shown little sign of coming under control, with a Republican congressman calling for an independent inquiry, multiple congressional committees pursuing investigations and Trump escalating a war with the media in an apparent attempt at distraction.

While the White House has, by its own clumsy admission, been working behind the scenes to try to manage the conduct of Congress and intelligence agencies in the scandal, those efforts have so far backfired.

Contacts between the White House chief of staff, Reince Priebus, and top FBI officials have come in for particular criticism as a violation of a necessary line separating the White House from justice department investigations with potential targets inside the administration.

On Sunday, a Trump spokeswoman once again tested that line, saying the FBI had dismissed allegations of inappropriate Trump-Russia ties as “BS” – bullshit.

“The FBI has already said this story is BS,” Sarah Huckabee Sanders said on ABC’s This Week. “Those were their words, so I apologize to my mom. But literally those are the words of the FBI, that the story is BS.”

The FBI has in fact made no public comment on its investigation into alleged contact between Trump associates and Russian operatives, which was first reported two weeks ago by the New York Times and CNN, citing anonymous law enforcement and intelligence community sources. The labelling of the story as “BS” has been attributed to the FBI’s deputy director, Andrew McCabe, by anonymous administration officials.

The White House press secretary, Sean Spicer, has confirmed that Priebus had asked top FBI officials to publicly debunk the matter, which they declined to do.

Under fire, Trump has lashed out on two fronts. The president attacked the intelligence community over the story, warning that the sources of the leaks that fed the news reports would be punished. But he saved his sharpest attacks for the media, which he called “enemies of the people” in a speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference.



Current Time0:00
/
Duration Time2:15
Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%
Mute

Trump at CPAC: I oppose fake news, not the media
That line of attack was redoubled on Sunday by Sanders, who is the daughter of former Arkansas governor and presidential candidate Mike Huckabee.

“Just because reporters say something over and over and over again doesn’t start to make it true,” she said.

Trump himself tweeted that the Russia story was “FAKE NEWS” put out by the Democrats.

Donald J. Trump(@realDonaldTrump)
Russia talk is FAKE NEWS put out by the Dems, and played up by the media, in order to mask the big election defeat and the illegal leaks!

February 26, 2017
White House attempts to write the story off as a confabulation were undermined, however, by expressions of alarm on Capitol Hill. In an appearance on HBO on Friday, Republican congressman Darrell Issa, a fiercely partisan warrior, called on the attorney general, Jeff Sessions, who was a member of the Trump campaign, to recuse himself from justice department investigations of the affair.

“You’re going to need to use the special prosecutor’s statute and office,” Issa said. “You can’t just give it to your deputy. That’s another political appointee.”

Advertisement
Former CIA director John Brennan, who served in top intelligence roles under presidents Barack Obama and George W Bush, said on Sunday investigations of the Trump-Russia affair were in the early stages and that no one yet knew where the facts would lead.

“Anybody who claims that the facts are already known in terms of what did or didn’t happen between Russian officials and US persons during the election, I think is speaking very prematurely,” Brennan told CBS’s Face the Nation.

“And the White House needs to understand that the interaction with the FBI on criminal investigations is something that really they need to steer clear of.”

Brennan defended the FBI director, James Comey, one of the officials acknowledged to have spoken with Priebus about the White House request to deny the story of links between the Trump campaign and Moscow.

Brennan said he doubted whether Comey would have spoken with Priebus about the progress of the FBI inquiry.

“It’s been my experience, working with Jim, that he wouldn’t do anything to compromise the integrity of an ongoing investigation,” he said.

Comey’s impartiality came under question, however, when he made a double announcement in the final weeks of the election that the FBI had opened a new thread in its investigation of Hillary Clinton’s emails and, subsequently, found nothing.

Brennan also denied that he himself was a source for leaked reports of contacts between Trump associates and Moscow, including reports that former national security adviser Michael Flynn had inappropriate conversations with Russian diplomats.

“Anybody who thinks I’m responsible for that are dead wrong,” Brennan said.

Trump blamed Flynn’s exit on his “unfair” treatment at the hands of the media, and the president has spent days advancing the media as a culprit for his administration’s woes. A poll released on Sunday by NBC News and the Wall Street Journal put Trump’s favorability rating at a historic low of -4 points, compared with +30 and more for previous young presidencies.

It is unclear, however, that the media is much more popular, a fact Trump used during his campaign and now uses to sow doubt about damaging stories.

As spokespeople were deployed on cable news to attack the media on Sunday morning, Trump tweeted an attack against the New York Times and a television commercial the newspaper planned to run during the broadcast of the Academy Awards.

“For first time the failing @nytimes will take an ad (a bad one) to help save its failing reputation,” Trump wrote. “Try reporting accurately & fairly!”

The ad asserts that “The truth is under attack. The truth is worth defending.” It’s unclear what Trump meant by “for first time” – the newspaper has created many television ads in the past.
 
You think pro trump posters are not posting here because it's embarrassing watching anti trump posters make fools of themselves? Am I reading this right?

Not the anti-Trump posters, no. I meant the "opposition" to Trump, especially those who probably see themselves at the top of it.
 
Perhaps. Wasn't the Oscars yesterday meant to be a parade of anti-Trumpism? How did that go?
What? how did the anti trump rhetoric at the oscars go?? ok, I guess.
I've no idea what point you're making. Pro trump posters aren't posting here because of the anti trump rhetoric in the media, as seen at the oscars?
I'll give you a hand here.
Pro Trump posters are not posting here because a high percentage of what the man says and does is indefensible. Most sensible people realize that aligning your views with his is probably not smart.
 
What? how did the anti trump rhetoric at the oscars go?? ok, I guess.
I've no idea what point you're making. Pro trump posters aren't posting here because of the anti trump rhetoric in the media, as seen at the oscars?
I'll give you a hand here.
Pro Trump posters are not posting here because a high percentage of what the man says and does is indefensible. Most sensible people realize that aligning your views with his is probably not smart.

Think there's a cultural difference too. This forum lets people air their views respectfully but also demands a fully-formed opinion. Most American political forums are nothing but sound bites and insults and the moderation is nonexistent. That tends to strongly favor the kind of people who also support DT.

They don't have a tilted playing field here and all they really want to do in political discussions is tell LIBRUHLS how stupid they are, so a site like this is too much effort.
 
In fairness to Dubya his comments are the most engaging, intelligent, honest thing I've ever heard him say.

It reflects poorly on Trump that a retired Republican President can be so critical and vocal in his condemnation..
 
We're getting more tanks and missles! :) YAY
Heard this before. Not sure on the exact figures, yet they were talking about a reported 10% increase of your already sizeable military budget.

Last time I checked the expenditure was not much shy of £600bn, so if it is 10% then you'll be getting a fair few more HUGE missiles and stuff.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome

Join the Everton conversation today.
Fewer ads, full access, completely free.

🛒 Visit Shop

Support Grand Old Team by checking out our latest Everton gear!
Back
Top