2017/18 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I'm perhaps slightly concerned about is that we'd be encouraged to play more route one based on his presence up top. Fair enough, use him as an out ball when we need it, but we need to treat him like any other striker who prefers being played in with the ball to feet.

The only thing I'm perhaps slightly concerned about is that we'd be encouraged to play more route one based on his presence up top. Fair enough, use him as an out ball when we need it, but we need to treat him like any other striker who prefers being played in with the ball to feet.
He's more than comfortable on the deck as well, I don't see him as purely a target man, looks to have a decent all round game. Let's hope he develops into the real deal.

To be fair to the kid, he worked as hard as Straq did and also displayed actual pace and skill.

At least as good...probably better at holdup play compared to Rom. Seems to actually have depth perception.
I thought his performance on Monday was a real coming of age performance, he had their back three rattled, he had Kompany 'taking on for the team'as he just couldn't cope with him.

His performance in that role, coupled with his 2nd half performance V Stoke has made it exciting to see him tonight. But at the same time I'm wondering whether he should've saved for Chelsea.

Brilliant spot by Unsworth. Great faith shown in youth by Koeman.

Yeah playing route one too much would be a concern, reality is though he's not yet the first choice striker that we will build our game around as Lukaku has been in the past few seasons so should not result in a complete change of style.
His ability to take an aerial ball , bring it down and use it is a surprising strength in one so young and without having a huge physical frame. It remains a great outlet for us though on those occaisions where it is the only/best option . Perhaps the best example of this was his goal for England U20s in the World Cup final. All 11 opposing players were between the ball and the goal when the free kick was taken, playing an intricate passing movement would have likely floundered on numbers of defenders. The high ball up to DCL was the best option maybe looking for a knock down, he won the ball on his chest and created enough space to score with his second shot.

Didn't realise how quick he was until Monday night.

He's got real potential, but he's young and will undoubtedly have games which will bring the 'gash' shouts back in between his good games.

Can see him getting 10 league goals this season - already has a couple of assists

Didn't realise how quick he was until Monday night.

He's got real potential, but he's young and will undoubtedly have games which will bring the 'gash' shouts back in between his good games.

Can see him getting 10 league goals this season - already has a couple of assists

think city are the first team we have played this season with a high line, so prob didnt see it before

Very useful player to have in the squad. Will be interesting to see if he is able to add a few goals to contribute his movement and work rate

Status
Not open for further replies.