2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

The point was we don't seem to be a good environment for strikers and haven't for years now.

I don't think Beto improves our chances to score. I think he also lessens Doucoures impact because I'm not sure Beto can hold the ball up or bring others into play.

I think he needs to play off the shoulder/space behind defenders.
Neither can Dom. His poor first touch and lack of upper body strength/understanding of how to lean into the defender lets him down time after time. I keep reading his hold up play is a strong-point. I strongly disagree.
Beto may not be much better, but by scoring a goal he has earned the right to have a go for a few more games still.

Imagine if we played 2 up top, a RB at RB, tell the 2 wingers to hug the touchline, get their head down and put the ball into the box.

But no, I dont have any UEFA coaching badges, so I couldnt possibly understand this very simple game of football.

With Beto and DomDom up front we’d have a forward line that only cost us £1.5m! Dychey’s moneyball blues.

Neither can Dom. His poor first touch and lack of upper body strength/understanding of how to lean into the defender lets him down time after time. I keep reading his hold up play is a strong-point. I strongly disagree.
Beto may not be much better, but by scoring a goal he has earned the right to have a go for a few more games still.

Disagree mate. Saw this in the Athletic last month which supported my suspicion around Calvert-Lewin's all round game vs Beto.

He definitely holds the ball up more. I have a feeling Doucoure will struggle behind Beto because I don't think he can.

1710182366864.png

Disagree mate. Saw this in the Athletic last month which supported my suspicion around Calvert-Lewin's all round game vs Beto.

He definitely holds the ball up more. I have a feeling Doucoure will struggle behind Beto because I don't think he can.

View attachment 248579
This is what I’ve been saying for ages about starting DCL over Beto. DCL brings other into the game more. He also creates the space for players like Doucoure to step into.

Part of the problem is, Doucoure has been out for a decent amount of time and we have no one to replace him. I don’t think Doucs is a particularly technical player but he finds the space DCL creates and has the energy and pace to support when DCL holds it up.

I thought that.

Think we all maybe wrongly assumed the type of player he was.

Dyche mentioned it not long after he signed that he's not of the same mould as Calvert-Lewin.

I don't think Beto fits Dyches style - Chris Wood style. Doesn't strike me as a player who can play with back to goal/retain the ball/bring others into play.

Still early days though.
Throwback comment here, sorry, but - if he's a different player than DCL, why is he using him in the exact same way? He employed Maupay in the same role as well and he's... well, Maupay.

Bit weird from Dyche - "we got this guy so we can use him in different ways than what we currently have, HOWEVER we will continue to use them all in the exact same way". Remember the hoofs aimed at Maupay? :(

View attachment 248579

Goal creating actions? Thats a new one on me. Does that mean if he moves he's credited with a goal creating action?
His goal assists btw are terrible over the past few years. Since 2020 his direct goal assists are 4. To put that into context. ollie watkins direct goal assists since 2020 is 23.
Did it leave out that sheff united are below Everton on every single stat. Goals. Goals expected. Chances created.
Yet cameron archer has scored more than our centre forward.

Still, at least he's got the goal creating action award. Whatever that is.

In terms of interested clubs I think you're looking at Fulham and West Ham.

Antonio and Ings did o.k yesterday but both haven't played for months and in their 30s and past it at prem level. He'd do o.k under Moyes with how he plays but Moyes could easily leave in the summer.

Just as Iwobi is a good fit for Fulham then I think same could happen with DCL as they've never really replaced Mitrovic but still had a comfortable mid table season.

Neither of those clubs would offer anything above 20m though. Think they'd lowball for a bit and then one would go to about 15-18m with a few adds ons (and a free London fashion week ticket for DCL).

Throwback comment here, sorry, but - if he's a different player than DCL, why is he using him in the exact same way? He employed Maupay in the same role as well and he's... well, Maupay.

Bit weird from Dyche - "we got this guy so we can use him in different ways than what we currently have, HOWEVER we will continue to use them all in the exact same way". Remember the hoofs aimed at Maupay? :(

In terms of interested clubs I think you're looking at Fulham and West Ham.

Antonio and Ings did o.k yesterday but both haven't played for months and in their 30s and past it at prem level. He'd do o.k under Moyes with how he plays but Moyes could easily leave in the summer.

Just as Iwobi is a good fit for Fulham then I think same could happen with DCL as they've never really replaced Mitrovic but still had a comfortable mid table season.

Neither of those clubs would offer anything above 20m though. Think they'd lowball for a bit and then one would go to about 15-18m with a few adds ons (and a free London fashion week ticket for DCL).

We sold Iwobi to Fulham for £22mil.

We's get more for DCL.

We've only got a handful of games to stay in the league.

From what I've seen of Beto - I think Beto has started 7 games now - I think Calvert-Lewin is the better player.

If we're sat midtable, and margins weren't so small I'd have been saying to drop Calvert-Lewin long before now. Likewise If I had a higher opinion of Beto

Maybe I'm missing something with Beto. I hope I am. Early days, and it's a tough gig being an Everton striker. He's waiting on crosses from Mykolenko and Godfrey, or Harrison and McNeil and relying on the composure and creativity of Doucoure behind him.

We know what we are going to get with DCL and that’s zero goals in over half a season.

I don’t want to go into the final 10 games knowing that he is unlikely to score another goal.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

At least Beto gives us hope of something changing and at the very least it will take pressure off DCL or make him feel he isn’t a guaranteed starter and he will raise to the challenge.