2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

It shows that a good manager can get better out of him i.e. Carlo v numpties.
I loved Carlo, but we would need to see the numbers for that season to know if he was getting more chances. My gut feel is that he probably is getting similar amounts of chances but had slightly better ones that year.

All we can tell from that table is that this year he has had plenty of chances to score a lot more goals. We can always improve the service and the quality of the chances we create, but it's disappointing to see someone so far down on the XG. I still think he could go on a little run of scoring if he gets one, but it does now have to happen sooner rather than later at this stage of the season.

Puts to bed the “he gets no service and would score 30 for Arsenal” argument. 3rd most chances outside of anyone in the league outside the top 6 and has scored less than Arsenal centre back Gabriel Magalhaes.
It's not been a service issue this year - at least not on the whole any way. The eye test alone would tell us that, and the numbers just back it up.

It's also been a collective issue as well, so no point blaming just the central strikers. We have missed so many good chances, and all the attackers have been guilty of it.

I thought as much. I remember questioning his selection at the time. At times he never seemed to bring much to the table but we were obviously doing ok, relative to today I mean.

What confused me was that he was the least Moyes-like striker ever, yet was immune from getting dropped. You think of Moyes strikers as being workhorses that will run the channels, press high and unsettle defenders, that couldn’t have been any less like Saha.

The problem we have is a team wide problem. We are just not cutting in the final third snd that is the fact of the matter. Dyche hasn't addressed this, I'm not sure that he will but it won't change the fact that there are players in Dyches team who are not delivering as might be expected. Dom is doing what he's always done, and we'll. He shouldn't be expected to win flick ons and the like and then be the only option to chase that down and the like. I suspect under Dyche he'll beat his previous best of 6 goals this season. He'll also be playing every game whilst fit as Dyche, like every manager he has had has seen that his all round game is an asset to the team. I'll expect this to cause lots of angst among a certain few.

What confused me was that he was the least Moyes-like striker ever, yet was immune from getting dropped. You think of Moyes strikers as being workhorses that will run the channels, press high and unsettle defenders, that couldn’t have been any less like Saha.
Yeah, the inner Rinus Michels in me couldn't work that out. None of this 'run the channels like Andy Johnson Louis' or 'be the big sexy slotting machine like you were for Man U when you bounced our cb's around aots'... still, that's why the Moyesiah got paid 30large a week, and I struggled to just about get thro the UEFA B.