2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Carlo's advice to him was simple which is why it worked. If you want to score goals then stay in the box. Don't be running around all over the show trying to win the ball back which is precisely what he is doing in Dyche Ball.

Part of it mate, being fed by Digne, Jamo, Gylfi and Richarlison helped.
True mate but even without them we still get plenty of balls in. We are creating like 20+ chances practically every game. Would be really handy if there was a striker in the box to try and score them. Most of the time it is anyone but a striker on the end of them and when they do get in there is that much pressure on them they flunk it. Being in the box has to be his main priority and let the rest of the team win the ball and try get it into him.

Part of it mate, being fed by Digne, Jamo, Gylfi and Richarlison helped.
Lob's got a point there - half the time DCL (or any striker)'s job is to either make a goal on his own as he's isolated or rn the channel to either wing to lay off the ball to a winger who is in a good position to whip the ball in, but now there's no striker in the box lol

I have no idea how we persist with that by the way, it's a ridiculous self-imposed limitation lol

True mate but even without them we still get plenty of balls in. We are creating like 20+ chances practically every game. Would be really handy if there was a striker in the box to try and score them. Most of the time it is anyone but a striker on the end of them and when they do get in there is that much pressure on them they flunk it. Being in the box has to be his main priority and let the rest of the team win the ball and try get it into him.

I thnk at times we isolate the play going forward mate, how often do we see players having to drag it back and take the sting out of it waiting for support, this often means Dom has to check to hold the line and when a chance comes in it is VS at least three. We dont have players who can break at pace and support the play quickly and those in our advanced positions are often isolated and waiting for other to join. Neither are they of the quality of what we had. We just have limited quality a thing i think a lot of people don't recognise.

Dom has always been a high chance to return striker, he was never a dead eye slotter for all his chances, so he doesn't do well with low % chances, nor can he do something out of nothing. He has many gifts, but hes never been an efficient striker in my opinion.

The Duke being injured or being rusty coming back hasn't helped.

Just my take mate! ;)

Last edited:

Lob's got a point there - half the time DCL (or any striker)'s job is to either make a goal on his own as he's isolated or rn the channel to either wing to lay off the ball to a winger who is in a good position to whip the ball in, but now there's no striker in the box lol

I have no idea how we persist with that by the way, it's a ridiculous self-imposed limitation lol

I hit the exact same point in my analysis above mate, dont disagree, im not sure its an active choice to be honest. I think we do with what we have.

I hit the exact same point in my analysis above mate, dont disagree, im not sure its active choice to be honest. I think we do what we have.
Well considering we're playing direct no idea why Doucoure isn't the one running that channel - it would make logical and training ground sense, if we want to persist wtih this.

Well considering we're playing direct no idea why Doucoure isn't the one running that channel - it would make logical and training ground sense, if we want to persist wtih this.

I dont think Dom runs the channel that much if I'm honest mate, hes fairly and mainly central, i say he drops deep centrally a bit to much in the first phase, lays it off and then gets caught behind the play, but the Duke when fit often gets ahead.

I dont think Dom runs the channel that much if I'm honest mate, hes fairly central.
He does to receive the ball on the edge and turn/lay off to a crosser but there's literally no one to cross to so we go to him - back to (say) Harrison - back to RB - back to CB - hoof, which is a pointless circle that makes us even more dire lol

I get some of the things we try to setup but it's honestly just ass-backwards sometimes haha

He does to receive the ball on the edge and turn/lay off to a crosser but there's literally no one to cross to so we go to him - back to (say) Harrison - back to RB - back to CB - hoof, which is a pointless circle that makes us even more dire lol

I get some of the things we try to setup but it's honestly just ass-backwards sometimes haha

Yeah not sure mate, i agree on dropping deeper, less so about being wide.

I'll @ you next time he does it to see what I mean lol

I'm not saying he doesn't lay it or make the run, but its never more then the edge of the box which is fine.

I dont think we have the players to get ahead of the play if im honest, though we have at times - remember Dom away at WHU. Or against Brighton last year.

The difficulty i think is we try to protect our own central channel, defensively, if you analyse our goals conceded over the last two seasons its a huge problem for us and we have identified it and really flood that area when defending now under Dyche, it doesn't lend itself to getting up the pitch the quickly and the lack of pace doesn't help.

Carlo's advice to him was simple which is why it worked. If you want to score goals then stay in the box. Don't be running around all over the show trying to win the ball back which is precisely what he is doing in Dyche Ball.
The team was a lot better then if he just stands in the box waiting for great deliveries to come to him now he's going to be waiting a long time. That tactic also only worked for about 10 games which everyone always seems to forget.