2022/23 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whisper it, but Calvert-Lewis has surely crossed the threshold for being regarded similarly to Yerry Mina: not somebody you can rely on to play consistently.

The manager needs to be weighing up whether he can really build around this fella, and should really be advancing his contingency plan in the light of this latest episode.
Should have done that in the summer tbh

most of those injuries are 7-10 days
one 'hamstring' was 8 days
other was 'illness'
2 are serious enough
but it is getting worrying now that he can't string a few months together
I think it’s the fact that he can’t seem to get or stay fit that’s the concerning thing, rather than what the injuries are. Those injuries have led to him missing 30 games out of the last 67, spread over 21 months. It’s undeniably a pattern now.

Should have done that in the summer tbh
I agree. We need to stop acting as a convalescence home and start making some hard judgements about some of our players. A pattern of absence should be enough for people to start making their minds up. None of our players are so good that we can wait for ever. Anyone can get a few injuries over the course of a season. But some seem to collect one after another over an extended period of time, and when they tend to be of different physical varieties and drop in a bit of mental health concerns on top of those, the alarm bells should be going off.

Mina is an open and shut case. Calvert-Lewin is headed the same way. Godfrey is going down that route, too.

I agree. We need to stop acting as a convalescence home and start making some hard judgements about some of our players. A pattern of absence should be enough for people to start making their minds up. None of our players are so good that we can wait for ever. Anyone can get a few injuries over the course of a season. But some seem to collect one after another over an extended period of time, and when they tend to be of different physical varieties and drop in a bit of mental health concerns on top of those, the alarm bells should be going off.

Mina is an open and shut case. Calvert-Lewin is headed the same way. Godfrey is going down that route, too.
Not sure Godfrey is the same he broke his ankle, silly challenge but that's different from being injury prone

He's a big unit who is very quick, he has just had a serious big muscle injury, which followed a broken toe. The problem here may well be that he has been running with an unnatural gait because he was originally playing through the pain with the broken toe. This may well have been the root cause of the thigh injury and his gait may have been further compromised due to trying to protect his thigh.

All this can and often does, happen to runners. It is something which is done unconsciously through a subliminal wish to protect the area of weakness. The only real cure is a total lay off and then a whole reassessment of the running action during rehab. In runners with explosive pace, they may find that they can no longer function at the upper limits of their power. Unfortunately I fear that Dominic may have to rethink his whole playing style.

Not sure Godfrey is the same he broke his ankle, silly challenge but that's different from being injury prone
And, apparently, wasn't so keen on the old COVID vaccine and, well, paid the price for that too. Bottom line: some of our players may not be giving themselves every chance of staying fit for Everton.

It’s funny people are calling him “finished”
He’s got a minor groin strain
I doubt he's finished. But it's not completely implausible now that he may never again string together 10 games for Everton. There is a pattern of absence over 21 months now. From the outside, people are entitled to have serious concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.