2022/23 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know the proportions mate. But some players dont react well to repetitive action. All bodies are different and they can break down or withstand life as a pro footballer.

Maybe the training system needs looking at too as we do seem to suffer a lot of injuries. If players like Tarkowski start to break down we'll know it's the system for s

There's no "fault" on the part of any player who gets injured - unless they are neglecting their fitness in some way (or ignoring consensus scientific advice, such as refusing a vaccination that can reduce the risk of illness). Patterson and Dominic Calvert-Lewin appear to be very unlucky - or there is something off in the club's training regimen. Sometimes, however, somebody's body or mind may simply not be cut out for the rigours of modern professional football. That's not to blame somebody - it's a simple statement of fact. Whether that applies in these cases is debatable. It's up to the club to make a judgement call in such cases.

I think that's fair - sometimes i get the feeling we are not overly supportive of players who keep getting injured, and in the past have accused of players of sitting around and collecting their paychecks. I'm sure there's an element of 'degrees of effort', i.e. Christiano Ronaldo everyone knows has worked like hell to get where he is and you just have to compare Rooney & Ronaldo to see what you can do to look after yourself. We see players who are injured doing something normal or non-football on instagram and give them a hard time. LIke with our support of players (which should be unconditional) we have no clue how much they are working or neglecting their fitness, but the coaching staff can easily see that, and I just hope we are doing our best to help the young players grow and develop physically.

But I wish we'd support players more when we don't really know why and how they keep getting injured. The only issue is it's really tough on young players who look fit, but keep getting niggles. Hopefully it's not our training system and I really hope the club are doing their best. It's not just effort needed, but more like expertise and training from our own medical staff.
I go back again to the start of the Moshiri ownership. I just wish he'd invested say £50m less in players, and put that money towards an overhaul of Finch Farm and especially our approach to science, fitness, training and facilities. Oh well!

I think that's fair - sometimes i get the feeling we are not overly supportive of players who keep getting injured, and in the past have accused of players of sitting around and collecting their paychecks. I'm sure there's an element of 'degrees of effort', i.e. Christiano Ronaldo everyone knows has worked like hell to get where he is and you just have to compare Rooney & Ronaldo to see what you can do to look after yourself. We see players who are injured doing something normal or non-football on instagram and give them a hard time. LIke with our support of players (which should be unconditional) we have no clue how much they are working or neglecting their fitness, but the coaching staff can easily see that, and I just hope we are doing our best to help the young players grow and develop physically.

But I wish we'd support players more when we don't really know why and how they keep getting injured. The only issue is it's really tough on young players who look fit, but keep getting niggles. Hopefully it's not our training system and I really hope the club are doing their best. It's not just effort needed, but more like expertise and training from our own medical staff.
I go back again to the start of the Moshiri ownership. I just wish he'd invested say £50m less in players, and put that money towards an overhaul of Finch Farm and especially our approach to science, fitness, training and facilities. Oh well!
Good post mate. Very thoughtful.

I'm not sure what the balance is here between the individual player and the system. Let's be fair though, we have no real idea what the system is, so it's natural people look to the player themselves in lieu of those facts. It'll make people consider whether some of it is psychological - I certainly think in some individual cases it may well be. Obviously trauma injuries lay players off for weeks / months. But it's the recovery from it that concerns me. Do we have staff capable of getting players pushing through pain barriers to get out there?

This isn't anti-player btw. A top flight footy player puts their minds and bodies through a lot of pressures. But that is their job and they have to be out there consistently. That's harsh but it's also the only way to look at it. It's a business.

Good post mate. Very thoughtful.

I'm not sure what the balance is here between the individual player and the system. Let's be fair though, we have no real idea what the system is, so it's natural people look to the player themselves in lieu of those facts. It'll make people consider whether some of it is psychological - I certainly think in some individual cases it may well be. Obviously trauma injuries lay players off for weeks / months. But it's the recovery from it that concerns me. Do we have staff capable of getting players pushing through pain barriers to get out there?

This isn't anti-player btw. A top flight footy player puts their minds and bodies through a lot of pressures. But that is their job and they have to be out there consistently. That's harsh but it's also the only way to look at it. It's a business.

There are a lot of factors aren't there. We probably all know someone (unfortunately) who's had to recover from major illness or injury and either succeeded or failed. The big difference is willpower and mental strength, and the support system (family & friends). We give the players less credit because we know they are mostly well paid, and well looked after so they should have the conditions to succeed. But on the other hand, football careers are very very short and brittle - they are all one tackle away from ending their careers!

That's their job, as you said. Sometimes players will understandably tread water because 'making it' can also be just getting a contract at a big team. Say Niasse for instance or Ross Barkley. Even if they are not playing anywhere or not particularly good - they've earned enough to say that they have made a good career for them and their families.

Someone save me from reading through all the hand wringing and doom and gloom here and just tell me what his new injury is please.

There are a lot of factors aren't there. We probably all know someone (unfortunately) who's had to recover from major illness or injury and either succeeded or failed. The big difference is willpower and mental strength, and the support system (family & friends). We give the players less credit because we know they are mostly well paid, and well looked after so they should have the conditions to succeed. But on the other hand, football careers are very very short and brittle - they are all one tackle away from ending their careers!

That's their job, as you said. Sometimes players will understandably tread water because 'making it' can also be just getting a contract at a big team. Say Niasse for instance or Ross Barkley. Even if they are not playing anywhere or not particularly good - they've earned enough to say that they have made a good career for them and their families.
Absolutely mate. It's complex the road to recovery and needs to be so. But clubs will start to look hard at a player's situation if they aren't getting any value out of them. It's a pivotal season for DCL. I relaly think he needs to become a feature again in this team or the club will leave him behind in terms of what they expect of him and how far they're prepared to stay the course of what appears constant breakdowns in training.

Status
Not open for further replies.