2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think he lead the line very well, won and scored a penalty very well, did well to turn the snapshot on goal at 2-1 but, as has always been his downfall, think he should be doing better with the one on one that Iwobi slid him in for.

Last week the quick thinking diving header snuck in, this week the quick thinking volley was kept out, can’t argue with turning both low and on target. Would love him to get better one on one though.
Fair assessment mate what others seem to forget though is that a penalty is a one on one with the keeper when you've got plenty of time to think before you strike the ball, which he does with aplomb.
I'm glad he's not perfect the haters would have to seek out another decent player To go over with a microscope.
Yes he has to improve one on one.in open play I think we can all agree on that but let's be fair to the lad here, on this occasion the Leeds goalie closed him down quickly and made a great stop IMO, I don't believe he had the time or space to dink it.
I enjoy this thread though, he seems to split opinion more than most I'm just glad someone else is scoring regularly for us.......oh wait a minute.

20210823_005227.jpg

Had Pickford made the saves the LEeds lad did, we would be raving about him....and not blaming the striker.

It happens, DCL is not Lukaku, buts ok. The moaners need to chill out, so angry.
Dunno, it was straight at him. It's an area of Dom's game he needs to improve on, because if he does he's going to be top, top striker. There's nothing wrong with saying that. I honestly wouldn't have backed him to score the chance that Klich did for Leeds, so it's an area he needs to get better at.

But, he's still an excellent player who has strengths not a lot of others do and, finally, it looks like he's going to be on pen duties for us, so that's another way for him to get goals.

Dom doesn't shoot from out the box and sometimes he's a bit basic with how he attempts to finish in 1v1.

despite these minor critiques, I don't think we could buy a striker near his quality for £50m - the lad leads the line well. He suits us perfectly for how we want to play (maybe we could get Sir Kevin Campbell to give him some 1v1 coaching?? lol).

Dunno, it was straight at him. It's an area of Dom's game he needs to improve on, because if he does he's going to be top, top striker. There's nothing wrong with saying that. I honestly wouldn't have backed him to score the chance that Klich did for Leeds, so it's an area he needs to get better at.

But, he's still an excellent player who has strengths not a lot of others do and, finally, it looks like he's going to be on pen duties for us, so that's another way for him to get goals.

Course he need to improve, he is 24. He is 4 years younger than Lukaku & Kane.

That chance was a great save...he come out like a shot and closed the space down brillinatly...it would take a Messi level dink with power to have scored that, or a Ronaldo (real) pace step-over to go past keeper, its no shame at all missing that.

That chance was a great save...he come out like a shot and closed the space down brillinatly...it would take a Messi level dink with power to have scored that, or a Ronaldo (real) pace step-over to go past keeper, its no shame at all missing that.
Yeah. I suppose the difference is mate, at 24, you usually have those finishing instincts if you're going to have them. Lukaku did (by 21), Kane did (by 22), arguably Richarlison did by (21/22 too) then you have players like Ings who also had that instinct.

So I don't think it's an age thing really. It's not about experience, it's about instinct and natural finishing ability. Dom isn't a natural finisher but he's brilliant at getting into positions and he's developed that side of his game so much in recent years.

But it's why I've always said he'd be really good for a team like City, that create tons of chances that he'd thrive off. Now I obviously do not want him to go and he can be really good for us, but in that sense I compare him to Sterling. Sterling has never been a good finisher, he still isn't, but he gets into great positions and plays in a team that create loads of chances so he gets a lot of goes at them.

Yeah. I suppose the difference is mate, at 24, you usually have those finishing instincts if you're going to have them. Lukaku did (by 21), Kane did (by 22), arguably Richarlison did by (21/22 too) then you have players like Ings who also had that instinct.

So I don't think it's an age thing really. It's not about experience, it's about instinct and natural finishing ability. Dom isn't a natural finisher but he's brilliant at getting into positions and he's developed that side of his game so much in recent years.

But it's why I've always said he'd be really good for a team like City, that create tons of chances that he'd thrive off. Now I obviously do not want him to go and he can be really good for us, but in that sense I compare him to Sterling. Sterling has never been a good finisher, he still isn't, but he gets into great positions and plays in a team that create loads of chances so he gets a lot of goes at them.

I agree with that defo, and on the flip side Lukaku and Kane didn't have the atributes DCL has now at 22/24, hence Lukaku getting stick for us and United for his lack of hold up play at times.

Only this last 18 months has Lukaku realy devloped his game to a World Class level consistantly.

Repitition in training and games will improve DCL finishing, obviously not to Lukaku levels, but like you say, thats ok, and DCL is a fine player that will get better.

Finally someone who speaks sense. If meslier was a couple of yards further back then he has time to finish.

it was a great save. Disappointing it didn’t end up in a goal but you can’t place ALL of the blame on DCL.

if he tried to dink the keeper and gets it wrong he still gets a bashing.

Ings is looking like a top finisher now but at Doms age he had 13 premiership goals Dom’s got 42. Got more goals than Richarlison too. I don’t disagree with your points but if he was as good a finisher as those mentioned, plus had the skill set he already has, he would be the most prolific striker in the league (probably wouldn’t play for us). He’s a work in progress and I think we should be great full for what he has got, rather than focus on what he hasn’t.

He'll score more than 20 goals this season.

But to some, that won't matter. When Lukaku scored 25 league goals in his last season, people were still complaining about him.

People have high expectations of the player, but that's no bad thing. It means people think very highly of him and that he can improve.

He has flaws with his 1 v 1 finishing on the ground. That's not a criticism or an over-reaction, it's just a fact. He can get much better if he continues to work on these areas. He had big chances at the crucial moment and those are the moments you need your striker to deliver.

Ings is looking like a top finisher now but at Doms age he had 13 premiership goals Dom’s got 42. Got more goals than Richarlison too. I don’t disagree with your points but if he was as good a finisher as those mentioned, plus had the skill set he already has, he would be the most prolific striker in the league (probably wouldn’t play for us). He’s a work in progress and I think we should be great full for what he has got, rather than focus on what he hasn’t.
Ings had only played one season in the Prem at 24 though. My point is he was more of a natural one-v-one finisher.

It's not Dom's game but it is an area he needs to improve on. FWIW I think Dom is just as good as Ings.

He'll score more than 20 goals this season.

But to some, that won't matter. When Lukaku scored 25 league goals in his last season, people were still complaining about him.

Stays fit pretty sure he will.

I don't go for all nonsense about natural finisher more chance of elves and haflings living at the bottom of my garden. Can be taught to finish.

It's the positions he gets himself in, reading of the game which cannot be taught which is impressive. Sure his fitness levels and athleticism help to achieve at times. If he keeps himself in those positions those 20 goals will come easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.