2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
As do the posts defending DCL and making him out to be an incredible striker.

Dont think many think he is incredible, but he has developed into a really good striker. If you cant see that, well, dunno what you are watching.

But the header that nearly snapped the crossbar for England the other day should be Exhibit A.

Bar the goal against Spurs, Vardy would have scored every goal this season that Dom has scored. Plus he doesn’t miss half of the chances Dom missed either.

Vardy is levels above DCL. But most on this forum thought DCL was better than Kane a few months ago. Madness.
When you start a sentence with would have...

tell me how you know so much about something that never happened?

As do the posts defending DCL and making him out to be an incredible striker.

…whatever adjective you use is opinion and opinions differ. I 100% accept that & I’m happy to enter into reasoned discussion with posters on any topic, but when debate goes into a cul-de-sac it can border on ignorance.

An unnamed poster said something along the lines of; “DCL will never play for a top club because he can’t link play”. I responded with reasoned examples of really good link play and exchanges in the home defeat against Villa. I was met with: “that was against Villa, so it doesn’t count”. Perhaps we can only use examples against Manchester City.

Bar the goal against Spurs, Vardy would have scored every goal this season that Dom has scored. Plus he doesn’t miss half of the chances Dom missed either.

Vardy is levels above DCL. But most on this forum thought DCL was better than Kane a few months ago. Madness.
Must've missed that moment Vardy became a 6 foot plus striker with a 4 foot leap. Vardy ain't scoring half the headers Dom does. Liverpool for example he gets nowhere near.

Add to that that Vardy takes his teams pens, Dom doesn't yet.

Another massive point in Doms favour is that Vardy is in his mid 30's.

…whatever adjective you use is opinion and opinions differ. I 100% accept that & I’m happy to enter into reasoned discussion with posters on any topic, but when debate goes into a cul-de-sac it can border on ignorance.

An unnamed poster said something along the lines of; “DCL will never play for a top club because he can’t link play”. I responded with reasoned examples of really good link play and exchanges in the home defeat against Villa. I was met with: “that was against Villa, so it doesn’t count”. Perhaps we can only use examples against Manchester City.
DCL has his flaws but going after his link play is a mad one. The amount of times that lads just plucked it out the air under pressure and laid it off.

I don't know if I said better, I think I said he'd score more domestic none pen goals than Kane, which is the central component to what makes a top striker for me. He got very close to doing that (he may have even done it).

I did also say it when DCL was flying, and probably was the in form striker in the league.
Oh I wasn't digging you out mate just pointing out to the other guy that most of the forum said no such thing lol

Not arguing who is better but there is no way in the world that Vardy would have scored a lot of the headers that DCL did.

…totally agree.

It’s great to have reasoned discussion because opinion differs, but posts from certain individuals in this thread border on the ignorant.

I remember Carragher and Neville years ago had a debate about playing for your home town club and only club. I can't remember which made the point (think it might have been Carragher) and he basically stated that it was harder because the fans see all your bad games while you're learning and they remember them. Whereas if you leave at 20/21 etc those new fans don't see them. I thought it was a really good point.

I see similar with DCL really. People have seen his development but find it hard to probably forgive his inconsistency. If he went to another club now, and was scoring 15+ goals aside from pens, season in season out, plus all the other stuff he offers they would be delighted. I just think some people saw his bad games, made their mind up and probably struggle to say they got it wrong.

I always say to anyone, if he's so bad, show me the list of strikers in this country who have his goals-outside of pens in domestic comps over the last 2 years. It's a very small list.

It's funny really, but in my whatsapp group full of fans of different teams, a lot of them want DCL to start the next game as Kane looks jaded. Kane is a world class striker and probably the best finisher the country has produced since Shearer and outside of the Everton bubble people think Calvert Lewin may be a worthwhile alternative to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.