2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, you really are hurt by people not rating DCL.
He doesn’t start for City and would be sold after a season or 2.

It's not the 'not rating' him bit - it's this idea that if a player wouldn't get in, on paper, the best side of the best team in the land, he's not somebody that would do well for them.

Bernardo Silva doesn't get in their best team.

Indeed. He's never going to be all things to all men, but he's great at what he does, with room to improve hopefully.

Right, back to posting polarised stuff about him, far too balanced this.

The hope will be that he goes on to develop that ability to create his own goals - but y'know (and this isn't having a dig at you here, as I agree with you) this would make him pretty much one of the best strikers in world football.

He definitely does need to get better in a few aspects. One-v-ones he's not great, we know that, but it infuriates me that we're so crap at getting him decent service on a consistent basis.

Can’t wait for the inevitable £100 million offers for such a top class striker.

I don't think we'll get an offer like that or any offer - because teams know we wouldn't sell, for anything less than crazy money.

He's scored 24 this season for club and country.

Got a lot to work on, but consider where he was this time last year, and then the year before that. The development is great.

We should be creating 3-4 chances for him every game. And by chances, I mean finding him in the area.

Yet we faff around with it trying to play through midfield, which we can't do, and it leaves us really open, or we end up sitting on the edge of our own box and him and Richarlison feed off scraps.

The hope will be that he goes on to develop that ability to create his own goals - but y'know (and this isn't having a dig at you here, as I agree with you) this would make him pretty much one of the best strikers in world football.

He definitely does need to get better in a few aspects. One-v-ones he's not great, we know that, but it infuriates me that we're so crap at getting him decent service on a consistent basis.
I don't think he'll ever be the sort to conjur something from nothing tbf. But as you say there's tons of room for improvement.

And I think that's the difference- recognising he's got elements of his game thst could be improved (and backing him to) versus calling him either amazing or poop.

...I appreciate he’s more central but even against Villa there were two quality exchanges between DCL & Richarlison, 2nd half near the half-way line & Bullens Road. It’s just moments like that which demonstrate the ability to link. He actually protects the ball well and invariably keeps possession or draws a foul.
I definitely agree with the closing sentence. His decision making is very good, and he almost never gives the ball away cheaply.

Even where I've said that I don't think he runs the channels or pressures opponents off the ball as much as used to, it isn't mean as a criticism. It's just part of the evolution of his game that's seen him look much more composed in possession.

Overall, I genuinely do see him as a good player. I'm just a bit baffled by some of the talk about him being among the best in the world, but then it's the same when I read that Richarlison is off to Real Madrid or Barcelona.

i feel playing with Kun will improve DCL . i loved the 442 diamond Carlo used in chelsea with two strikers , and call me old school but i miss the two strikers era . also i feel kun still has a lot to offer and he can do for us what Suarez did for Atleti . These days experience has taken a back seat and everyone looks for youth and pace . YEs Kun has lost a yard of pace , but when he is in front of the goal , that instinct to score is something we can use .

Well, that's the point innit :D

Goals count the same whether they're scored from three yards out or 30, or are from a cross or a brilliant solo run.

Yeah, it'd be great if we had a striker who could do it all. But we don't. We do however have one who is very good at one aspect and is coming on leaps and bounds season-by-season, and his hold up play has been generally excellent, and athletically he's exactly the type of player we need more of - and he's done that all off his own back by hard work.

Weirdly enough, we did have a striker who could do it all, and some of our fans were happy when he left.

When you see what DCL brings to a team in terms of athleticism, aerial strength, hold up play and now goals as well it makes you wonder what sport people who don't rate him think they are watching.

If there is a flaw in the City squad it is probably the lack of a player like DCL.

Why would people think that if he did sign for City that he could not adapt to the style of football that Pep would want from him. He has risen to every other challenge he has faced.

Luckily City simply do not pay the kind of money for any player that we would demand for DCL. I think he is one of the players not for sale at any price.

No the response was to the wham-chatting poster who said ‘when’ not ‘if’ football introduces a three point line, like it is some sort of rule change that is being suggested.

Me and @TheBigIguana disagree on a fair bit, but pretty sure he was making the point that it's never going to happen, mate...

Me and @TheBigIguana disagree on a fair bit, but pretty sure he was making the point that it's never going to happen, mate...

This is what happens when you chat so much bollox, it’s hard to filter. Still can’t work out if he was serious about Iwobi being a decent player or not, I’m sure there’s spreadsheet and heatmap to back it up tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.