2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess time will tell won’t it. He’s had a 13 game purple patch at the moment ... he’s been here 3-4 years . His shooting hasn’t improved and that’s my main concern .
I understand why you call it a purple patch but it's a bit harsh, He's rapidly improving and ever since the Dunc game something has switched on, I saw a clip on twitter about Gary Lineker saying ever since Ancelotti took over he's the top scorer in the league. Obviously it's a skewed stat because it's more than half way through the season but it bodes well doesn't it, Only 23 and bought for 1.5m!

As I've stated not good enough to take us to the next level would love him to be 25/30 goal a season man but not gonna happen .To me finishing is something that comes natural to you and not something you can learn .I see comments regarding if he played with better players he would get more chances and would score more so would I but he does get his fair share of chances and his finishing at best is ordinary that chance he missed at Chelsea was embarrassing.

Whenever he has time to think about a finish, he fluffs it. He's also not instinctively in the right place in the six yard box to be that goalscorer and as you say, you can't teach that, it's instinctive. But hey, he's been a hell of a bargain for £1.5m

I guess time will tell won’t it. He’s had a 13 game purple patch at the moment ... he’s been here 3-4 years . His shooting hasn’t improved and that’s my main concern .
It isn't the same when a 23 year old gets continuously better over 4 years culminating in a great run of performances as when someone who is 27 suddenly has their best run after 4 years.

We should expect and welcome him getting to this point instead of questioning it continuously.

I understand why you call it a purple patch but it's a bit harsh, He's rapidly improving and ever since the Dunc game something has switched on, I saw a clip on twitter about Gary Lineker saying ever since Ancelotti took over he's the top scorer in the league. Obviously it's a skewed stat because it's more than half way through the season but it bodes well doesn't it, Only 23 and bought for 1.5m!

DCL as far as a piece of “business “ is concerned ? He’s been hugely successful. You won’t hear me argue against that . Going on solankes trqnfer her fetch 35m + and realistically north of 40m would be achievable. I just do t think he’s good enough at finishing when we need it , tight margins in this league decide things and he isn’t reliable enough in front of goal for me. His physical attributes are amongst the best in the league and I won’t argue that either , I also like him as a person or should I say his attitude? He has the work ethic , hunger and seems to want to listen and learn and he gets Everton and seems to know how fortunate he is to be a footballer. I just don’t see him ever being a top CF. It’s just my opinion , a very unpopular one I know , but I had the same kind of reaction when I said Barkley was over rated . I hope this isn’t a purple patch and he becomes composed in front of goal and we can trust him to finish that “ one chance” that he may get in that tight , important game ... I guess we will know by the end of next season for sure

I don't think he's changed much. His strengths have always been just about everything except for the one part that counts. He's REALLY good at the off the ball stuff but finishing he is really poor with. This season he's scored a bunch(and I'm discounting 100% the header for the Coleman goal that was just about over the liner ffs).

Would love to be wrong honestly, he's a pretty solid lad by all accounts. I just think he is a woeful finisher. If he turns out like a van Nistelrooy even the better! I just don't have any faith that he will be able to be reliable.

If you watch him in training he puts them from anywhere so it is a confidence thing for me ,he is becoming more and more confident with the game and himself so I think he is on his way to being a top striker .
If you consider that he actually is top scorer over the last couple of months it does seem a bit obsessive to keep saying he hasn't got it as a goalscorer .

Tim Cahill predicted he will be a future international for England alongside Harry Kane -
But what does he know hey -

TBF I seen Cahill say DCL isn’t good enough a while ago on bbc. So as much as I love Cahill I don’t think he’s punditry is as good as his football career.

N4c-TZ.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.