2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually meant in all comps but Im not being the pedantic one here. My point is merely DCL has yet to prove he is a striker that is lethal in goalscoring situations for me. You know, when Vardy, Aguero, Lukaku or any of the above close down on the goal, you expect them to score. Even Richarlison I do. I still expect DCL to miss. That's all I'm saying. He's had a great season, contributed massively, come on leaps and bounds. I like him. I'm just saying that some of the praise has been slightly distorted.
At this moment in time he thoroughly deserves to be in the team. However, I still believe that if want to get into the CL (that is the aim here right?) we are going to need somebody who when he gets one of those chances against the big teams, puts it away most of the time. Although DCL had a good game against Man U. He was still the difference for me, between 3 points and 1 point by missing that early, and what proved to be crucial chance. Im a DCL fan. I just don't think he will ever be top drawer, which is what we are aiming for.

15 goals for a PL striker is incredible and very rare, especially for a young striker, if you have one you hold onto them for dear life, if you have one you’ve bought for less 3million, you have won the lottery. He should get to 15 this season,

Challenge for Dom now is consistency, he has to baseline 15 a season to be considered in the above company. He’s doing brilliantly though, he still needs to be pushed, he has another striker younger biting at his heels.

Id be on record as having doubts about him, he’s proven me wrong the second half of this season, he has to prove though it’s not just a purple patch.

I did however always feel, that what we often saw with Dom was not the full story, every single manager we have had has always talked him up and played him, it wasn’t always visible on match days, but they all must see incredible potential.

15 goals for a PL striker is incredible and very rare, especially for a young striker, if you have one you hold onto them for dear life, if you have one you’ve bought for less 3million, you have won the lottery. He should get to 15 this season,

Challenge for Dom now is consistency, he has to baseline 15 a season to be considered in the above company. He’s doing brilliantly though, he still needs to be pushed, he has another striker younger biting at his heels.

Id be on record as having doubts about him, he’s proven me wrong the second half of this season, he has to prove though it’s not just a purple patch.

I did however always feel, that what we often saw with Dom was not the full story, every single manager we have had has always talked him up and played him, it wasn’t always visible on match days, but they all must see incredible potential.
As I said, I do agree that he's a valuable player. There's no way you play for every level of England up to the first team (I'm sure this may happen soon though) if you are not a decent player. I just want him to improve a large aspect of his finishing. Im honestly not knit picking, it's hard to put it into words, but when you look at his goals I cant think of many when i thought great finish. Didnt he take that well. Does that make sense? And the ones that he misses are the ones where you think, we needed a good finish then, some composure, a dink, for example. I hope Im wrong, if he scores 20 goals a season by just headers and scrambles then I stand corrected and who cares. My point is, I just dont think its sustainable.

As I said, I do agree that he's a valuable player. There's no way you play for every level of England up to the first team (I'm sure this may happen soon though) if you are not a decent player. I just want him to improve a large aspect of his finishing. Im honestly not knit picking, it's hard to put it into words, but when you look at his goals I cant think of many when i thought great finish. Didnt he take that well. Does that make sense? And the ones that he misses are the ones where you think, we needed a good finish then, some composure, a dink, for example. I hope Im wrong, if he scores 20 goals a season by just headers and scrambles then I stand corrected and who cares. My point is, I just dont think its sustainable.

Its a very good point mate, i agree as it goes, he does get the scruffy ones and angled tenacious headers, i think its fair question is that luck/hard work vs skill set and is that sustainable.

Gary Linekar was a terrific striker but id say 80% of his goals were scruffy, but he was brilliant at being a nuisance, always annoying and holding positions in the danger area to get an opportunity for half a chance. Dom is a bit like that, if he brings home the numbers that might be good enough.

I know where you are coming from and you are not being polarised in your opinion, when Dom gets in one on one with the keeper you are never 100% sure he will stick it away, the way you would see with someone like Aguero, Kane, Vardy or Auba.

I think another point is the mark up turn is his goals return since Christmas, its phenomenal and fair play, but it strikes me that we are playing and developing a team to his strengths, rather then say previous management teams building the team around other players. For example Gylfi got a similar goal return last year but the formation and team was built to bring the best out of him for me this season hes playing deeper or out on the flank, arguably now the same thin has happened to Dom with the team being set up to maximise his strenghts and Gylfis goal return has now transferred to Dom, thats fine of course, but have we actually increased out goal scoring as team to make a table impact.

Im delighted for Dom has to be said, but i do think the challenge for him now is to repeat the trick next season and 15 has to be a baseline. im not saying hes the best thing since white bread or is rubbish, just genuinely being constructive on a micro and macro level and having an open debate - these things sometimes get very polarised on in or out.

Its a very good point mate, i agree as it goes, he does get the scruffy ones and angled tenacious headers, i think its fair question is that luck/hard work vs skill set and is that sustainable.

Gary Linekar was a terrific striker but id say 80% of his goals were scruffy, but he was brilliant at being a nuisance, always annoying and holding positions in the danger area to get an opportunity for half a chance. Dom is a bit like that, if he brings home the numbers that might be good enough.

I know where you are coming from and you are not being polarised in your opinion, when Dom gets in one on one with the keeper you are never 100% sure he will stick it away, the way you would see with someone like Aguero, Kane, Vardy or Auba.

I think another point is the mark up turn is his goals return since Christmas, its phenomenal and fair play, but it strikes me that we are playing and developing a team to his strengths, rather then say previous management teams building the team around other players. For example Gylfi got a similar goal return last year but the formation and team was built to bring the best out of him for me this season hes playing deeper or out on the flank, arguably now the same thin has happened to Dom with the team being set up to maximise his strenghts and Gylfis goal return has now transferred to Dom, thats fine of course, but have we actually increased out goal scoring as team to make a table impact.

Im delighted for Dom has to be said, but i do think the challenge for him now is to repeat the trick next season and 15 has to be a baseline. im not saying hes the best thing since white bread or is rubbish, just genuinely being constructive on a micro and macro level and having an open debate - these things sometimes get very polarised on in or out.
Yeah good point and well constructed. It’s fair to say too that we are in desperate need of creative players behind him and our crosses into the box are generally awful. I think crossing in today’s game is so poor I don’t understand how professional footballers can be so bad at it. Hopefully if we stick to 4-4-2 but get wide men and full backs who can put a good ball in consistently he’ll score more.

Yeah good point and well constructed. It’s fair to say too that we are in desperate need of creative players behind him and our crosses into the box are generally awful. I think crossing in today’s game is so poor I don’t understand how professional footballers can be so bad at it. Hopefully if we stick to 4-4-2 but get wide men and full backs who can put a good ball in consistently he’ll score more.

Cheers a chara, your right of course, wonhers are a dying breed all the good ones are now inside forwards and expected to play as a three, it’s all about full backs now for crosses in the box. I was thinking the other day that Andy Hinchcliffe would be worth 60 mill in today’s money, what a wand he had for sending in crosses I can honestly say I don’t hunk I’ve seen better, though Kev Sheddy was class as well!

Cheers a chara, your right of course, wonhers are a dying breed all the good ones are now inside forwards and expected to play as a three, it’s all about full backs now for crosses in the box. I was thinking the other day that Andy Hinchcliffe would be worth 60 mill in today’s money, what a wand he had for sending in crosses I can honestly say I don’t hunk I’ve seen better, though Kev Sheddy was class as well!

You had to have decent players on the end of them.

Hes fast, strong and dedicated. That will get you so far and he’s proving that. He’s improving some parts of his game. But that finesse, class and ability to elevate your performance when it matters most I don’t think you can teach. I’m not saying he’s peaked but he’s nowhere near Richarlison for me. Richie can have bad games but he oozes quality and when he’s one on one, you’re confident he’s finding the net. He scores really good goals. DCL is definitely useful and can play a part. But he’s no Vardy, Drogba or whoever else he’s been compared to on this thread.
Pretty sure drogba was still a centre halve at 22 and he turned out allright

was barking orders in the new training video .. taking it serious with richalison ( hence his full blooded tackle )

keeps his form next year could be captain material

Pretty sure drogba was still a centre halve at 22 and he turned out allright
I bet he was a good centre half. It’s funny when people compare everyone to literally the one percenters....drogba developed late, he didn’t play footy til late, Vardy came into the game late, Ian Wright did, Alex Ferguson nearly got sacked. All the above are reasons to think that there is a chance that your argument is right. But they are one percenters. It’s a ridiculous debate. I can name three forwards who developed late in the last thirty years so that means it’s possible. Good luck in court with that one.

Hes fast, strong and dedicated.
This is the basis. He IS fast strong and dedicated. He's also decent/good in the air, good at holding up the ball...hell, he;s decent to good in most things that maka striker. But he's not that good at finishing. I don't know how you improve that. Will be ecstatic if he can tho.

This is the basis. He IS fast strong and dedicated. He's also decent/good in the air, good at holding up the ball...hell, he;s decent to good in most things that maka striker. But he's not that good at finishing. I don't know how you improve that. Will be ecstatic if he can tho.
the less time to think the better finisher is he, At least right now.

Brighton = Through ball and bang.
Newcastle = through ball and bang.
Chelsea = ran with it and got it, executed it awfully but had the right idea in mind.
It's something he needs to work on and it can be worked on imo but it's something stopping him from going from a 7/10 player to a 9/10, He has everything else ready to go.

he's not good enough. Apart from being a poor finisher, it's a myth that he's good in the air and/or holds the ball up well. in every game he plays we retain possession less than 50% of the time after he has touched the ball. when we get a break away and it falls to him i don't even bother getting out of my seat - it always comes to nothing!

Status
Not open for further replies.