2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but DCL really needs to prove he can do it next season and on before we can start to rely on him, although it is good to see him improve so much this season but it could just be a purple patch and he could revert to type next season (i don't think he will btw)
Yeah that is a concern but sadly the only way to find that out is for the next season to be over with, You'd like to think that it's all going in the right direction though.

We can improve on every player in the squad.

Its a really poor point you are making here Dave.
But the view that we cant appears to have some support eg: DCL is the best option up front for Everton.

My opinion is that he's decent enough putting away a chance every so often (at least THIS season anyway); but that his movement is limited and it requires us to play in a rigid 442 formation to accomodate him.

A different striker with different abilities who can play up on his own can allow us flexibility.

But the view that we cant appears to have some support eg: DCL is the best option up front for Everton.

My opinion is that he's decent enough putting away a chance every so often (at least THIS season anyway); but that his movement is limited and it requires us to play in a rigid 442 formation to accomodate him.

A different striker with different abilities who can play up on his own can allow us flexibility.

And who would that be?

Here's the list in the PL right now:

Auba
Jesus/Aguero (usually not in the game at the same time)
Vardy
Kane
Pukki
Callum Wilson
Deeney

I could be missing someone, but off the top of my head those are the only strikers who consistently play up top on their own.

Are we getting any of them? No, other than we could get Pukki or Wilson, who are not an improvement.

Is there anyone else in another league? Probably. I don't know other leagues well enough.

Is there anyone else in another league that we could get for an affordable price, that wouldn't use up the cash that we need for other positions, that would not get us in FFP trouble, that would be a can't-miss upgrade over DCL, enough to justify the outlay?

I am very skeptical. If you have someone in mind I'd love to know.

I don't understand this obsession with either 1 or 2 upfront, it's hardly rigid 2 upfront. Richarlison is comfortable dropping deep to help out the midfield, which often leaves DCL alone uptop. Eg Richarlison was appox 20 yards deeper than DCL when he read that DCL would win the ball in the air from a long punt forward for his goal against Palace.

Carlo wants 442 Dave.

And who would that be?

Here's the list in the PL right now:

Auba
Jesus/Aguero (usually not in the game at the same time)
Vardy
Kane
Pukki
Callum Wilson
Deeney

I could be missing someone, but off the top of my head those are the only strikers who consistently play up top on their own.

Are we getting any of them? No, other than we could get Pukki or Wilson, who are not an improvement.

Is there anyone else in another league? Probably. I don't know other leagues well enough.

Is there anyone else in another league that we could get for an affordable price, that wouldn't use up the cash that we need for other positions, that would not get us in FFP trouble, that would be a can't-miss upgrade over DCL, enough to justify the outlay?

I am very skeptical. If you have someone in mind I'd love to know.
I see, so, bottom line, it's down to me to replace DCL before you agree he's not the answer?

Me personally, I'd move heaven and earth to get Lukaku back. However, since that 'kin helmet Moshiri called his mother a purveyor of voodoo, we've got no chance.

Carlo wants 442 Dave.
That's a port in a storm option at this club.

Ancelotti wants to be able to approach matches with flexibility.

IMO he should play DCL up front on his own for the remainder of the season and let him sink or swim; if he fails - as would be likely - I'd be saying to Moshiri that I need cash for another striker.

IMO he should play DCL up front on his own fpr the remainder of the season and let him sink or swim; if he fails - as would be likely - I;d be sayiong to Moshiri that I need cash for another striker.

But 1 up top doesnt suit any of our Strikers.

How about we see how many goals he hits and judge him on that.

Hes already scored more than some stellar names this season.

But 1 up top doesnt suit any of our Strikers.

How about we see how many goals he hits and judge him on that.

Hes already scored more than some stellar names this season.
"He is doing well but he is not enough. If he wants to be a top striker, he has to work more hard, focus hard, work more. He is doing well but he has to have the game to be focused all the time." CA

In other words: he's frustrated with what he has here up front. He knows the owners will be hearing his comments.

"He is doing well but he is not enough. If he wants to be a top striker, he has to work more hard, focus hard, work more. He is doing well but he has to have the game to be focused all the time." CA

In other words: he's frustrated with what he has here up front. He knows the owners will be hearing his comments.

Willing to bet we dont sign a Striker this Summer.

I would now like to hear you tell me that we cant improve on DCL; and if you dont think that, name some players who can improve us....
[/

IMO he should play DCL up front on his own for the remainder of the season and let him sink or swim; if he fails - as would be likely - I'd be saying to Moshiri that I need cash for another striker.
You’re not helping yourself

Classic Dave; hoping for failure so that he can argue his point. Top fan. Better WUM.

IMO if any manager does something like this then they would rightly be told to pack their bags. Maybe he should bring Sandro back and play him at right back too?

Yes, a manager needs to build for the future but it's the actions of a petulant child to put what you know is a square peg in what you know is a round hole and then stamp your feet when it doesn't fit. I think Ancelotti is probably above this. As are most adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.