2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
@
I've got to be honest mate before Dunc took over I just didn't see him as the complete forward we needed at the time .
He second guessed every move beat bigger defenders for strength but let smaller players boss him about .
Now I see a forward with decent physical strength and a poachers instinct . That goal yesterday for instance . Now he has a strikers instinct and Dunc's arrogance . Now he is all over the box like me with the missus when all the kids go out .
If you could see the potential he is showing now in the last 18 odd months , I sincerely bow to you .
I saw some flashes of brilliance earlier on.. inconsistent yes but that’s to be expected in all young players.. its crazy how people seem to expect a Rooney or Ronaldo straight away- 1 in a million players! Trust the coaching staff they know wha
I'm not being unkind to him; and if we want to want to be in the top echelon of footvall we habve to recognise we need better than a limited player like him.
forum boys lah

Off Topic
In his own words he said he had a poor game yesterday. Incredible that you think he cant be criticised.

I;ve seen some class forwards at Evertpon over the years, and I can tell you that this lad is miles off their standard. He lacks courage at times (compare and contrast with Richarlison on that), his runs when team mates are looking for a pass are clueless, there's no intelligence to them. He is limited to having an impact in games where we play two up front. He cant lead the line effectively (again, compare and contrast with Richarlison).

It's not illegitimate to point all that out.
Forum boys lah

Been a tough few months for poor @davek Marcel and the Mosh bringing in one of the greatest managers of this generation. Planning permission on a new waterfront stadium submitted and the boy Dom slotting in the prem.

Thoughts and prayers in this difficult time.
The upturn is ENTIRELY down to Ancelotti...and not helped one iota in the January window by the DoF or the owner.

Scoring a lot more goals but still not a top 6 striker if that’s where we’re aiming to be?

Hopefully he irons out his weaknesses for then start of next season as I cant see us selling or signing another striker.

If we end up in the top 6 and DCL has scored more goals than players like Martial Pepe Giroud etc. who are considered top 6 strikers then is he not by default a top 6 striker?

Scoring a lot more goals but still not a top 6 striker if that’s where we’re aiming to be?

Hopefully he irons out his weaknesses for then start of next season as I cant see us selling or signing another striker.

Honestly don't think we need another striker.

Kean will have had 12 months here, and Richarlison and DCL are productive.

A right winger, dominant Centre Mid and Centre half is what is required. Ideally a proper captain too. Holgate is probably the nearest thing to a leader on the pitch currently.

He had an alright game yesterday, good awareness for his goal, that sitter he missed though! that sums him for me.

That was a terrible miss. He was celebrating before he made contact and lost focus. Hopefully he learns from that.

I don't think he will ever be a ruthless, clinical finisher. But we have 3 strickers with an average age of 21, who could all develop into top class players ( Richy is already showing this).

That is exciting.

I'll wager when @davek opens his christmas presents, he says "thanks for the nice gift, although for a bit more investment you could have got one of a better quality, and the wrapping paper was average".
Well it's not looking a gift horse in the mouth, is it?

He's handed a starting place every week and he's handsomely rewarded for it.

He's been playing professional football for 5 years, and I expect in a PL striker basics - like combativity and the ability to make intelligent runs.

Well it's not looking a gift horse in the mouth, is it?

He's handed a starting place every week and he's handsomely rewarded for it.

He's been playing professional football for 5 years, and I expect in a PL striker basics - like combativity and the ability to make intelligent runs.
Which he does.

Just to point out, but some very, very good strikers haven’t became quality until their mid-late 20’s. Examples like Van Persie, Luca Toni, Ciro Immobile and Diego Costa all attest to this. DCL is useful to us and is clearly improving all the time. If Carlo reckons he can make him into a top striker I believe him, as I think he has the assets to become one

Status
Not open for further replies.