2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
This, and the magic of playing 2 up top so he’s not completely isolated
Absolutely this! Ferguson (or Ancelotti) wouldn’t get goals out of this lad playing up front as a sole striker. He needs 442 or 433 to thrive. Not every striker can play that role some actually need help up front. Despite all the shrieking and gnashing of teeth, when Gomes and Richy are back in this team, playing the way Carlo is starting to shape us up, I think we will see plenty of goals from this team.

Absolutely this! Ferguson (or Ancelotti) wouldn’t get goals out of this lad playing up front as a sole striker. He needs 442 or 433 to thrive. Not every striker can play that role some actually need help up front. Despite all the shrieking and gnashing of teeth, when Gomes and Richy are back in this team, playing the way Carlo is starting to shape us up, I think we will see plenty of goals from this team.
No striker can play as isolated as we left him. We did the same thing for awhile with Rom. They all need support.

Took his goal really well, I think he looks a little weak sometimes with his left leg but he didn't half finish that well last night.

Brands 100% left us light up top by not purchasing an experience player and a lot of responsibility has fell onto DCLs shoulders. If he can get through this season and get to about 15/16 goals, that'll be a great return and set him up for another push next season.

Short term pain for long term gain I think the approach has been

No striker can play as isolated as we left him. We did the same thing for awhile with Rom. They all need support.
It take a very very good striker to play up top on there own and even then they need a decent number 10 and wingers for support. I hope we never ever go back to that 1 up top system, we’ve had been playing that well for near on 20 years. About time it changed.

It take a very very good striker to play up top on there own and even then they need a decent number 10 and wingers for support. I hope we never ever go back to that 1 up top system, we’ve had been playing that well for near on 20 years. About time it changed.
I don't think we need to kill it off completely. I certainly prefer a true 4-3-3 where the wingers have defensive responsibilities but by and large are staying high enough to be that support. But if Carlo for whatever reason says he likes the 4-2-3-1 it would be alright so long as the #10 isn't someone like Sigurdsson who should be supporting the striker but instead leaves him for dead 80% of the time. Honestly I think it was as much a personnel failure as a system failure.

That was a really good goal. Un-fussy. He had an opening and he just calmly put the ball there.

11 in the league now, one behind Sterling, Salah, and Mane among others.

With DCL, Kean, Richarlison up front in some combo, if we can get a solid midfield (Bernard as playmaker???) this side could score a lot of goals. Not sure if I'd know what to do if we started banging them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.