2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but you can't accuse others of a lack of perspective and intellectual integrity and then claim that the top 6 'couldn't live with him'. Talk about hyperbole. He did a good job in those games, he worked hard and gave us an outlet. He wasn't the matchwinner though, he wasn't the player who made a difference in any of them, and nor will any defenders have come off wondering what had hit them. He just played his part (perfectly well it must be said) in good team performances, pretty much what you'd hope for from a Premier League striker really, no more and no less.

Superb post. Good to see people aren't having the intellectual wool pulled over their eyes by a wall of text.

Sorry, but you can't accuse others of a lack of perspective and intellectual integrity and then claim that the top 6 'couldn't live with him'. Talk about hyperbole. He did a good job in those games, he worked hard and gave us an outlet. He wasn't the matchwinner though, he wasn't the player who made a difference in any of them, and nor will any defenders have come off wondering what had hit them. He just played his part (perfectly well it must be said) in good team performances, pretty much what you'd hope for from a Premier League striker really, no more and no less.

But it is not enough basically just a passenger, we need a match winner.

Are we not wanting him to score goals now? Very edgy in here.
He’s the new scapegoat regardless of his performances. DCL has a number of flaws, which are clear to see, but equally he has positives.

Kean will be our first choice forward, so hopefully this will give Dom time to develop further and become a vital part of our ‘squad’.

He’s the new scapegoat regardless of his performances. DCL has a number of flaws, which are clear to see, but equally he has positives.

Kean will be our first choice forward, so hopefully this will give Dom time to develop further and become a vital part of our ‘squad’.

I totally disagree with this. Morgan is culprit number 1 for the weekend. Then siggy.

DCL has loads of great qualities, but currently his finishing and the knack of being in the right place at the right time isn't there for him. Example Lukaku 1 on 1 I’d be thinking ‘yes’... Walcott & DCL I’m thinking ‘oh god oh god please score’

That’s the difference (currently)

I totally disagree with this. Morgan is culprit number 1 for the weekend. Then siggy.

DCL has loads of great qualities, but currently his finishing and the knack of being in the right place at the right time isn't there for him. Example Lukaku 1 on 1 I’d be thinking ‘yes’... Walcott & DCL I’m thinking ‘oh god oh god please score

That’s the difference (currently)

Though Walcott gets a one on one (much more), virtually every game and nearly always hits the goalie

He does get into some very good positions but his finishing let's him down. Hope he works on his finishing in training.

To an extent, finishing is something you either have or you don't. No striker suddenly becomes a good finisher. It's why people get referred to as a 'natural finisher'. You can work on it all you want in training, it boils down to having total composure in front of goal in match situations. DCL has neither the positioning, reaction speed or composure to be the main striker or even a back-up striker at a top-half club. His biggest asset is his work-ethic and his pressing. Admirable qualities but as a striker, he's always going to be judged on his output and it's never going to be good enough.

To an extent, finishing is something you either have or you don't. No striker suddenly becomes a good finisher. It's why people get referred to as a 'natural finisher'. You can work on it all you want in training, it boils down to having total composure in front of goal in match situations. DCL has neither the positioning, reaction speed or composure to be the main striker or even a back-up striker at a top-half club. His biggest asset is his work-ethic and his pressing. Admirable qualities but as a striker, he's always going to be judged on his output and it's never going to be good enough.

Normally I’d agree but Sterling’s finishing has massively improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.