2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to convince me too strenuously to go 4-4-2 ;)

Heck, go 4-2-4 even, let's live a little!!! lollollol

Would love to live a little.
Who would you leave out to accommodate an extra striker though??

Hey I'm here to make unrealistic suggestions not to carry them out LOL
I think it would be for a specific opposition maybe in the cup or something
and the 2 wide midfielders could be Lookman/ Walcott and Bernard or a Digne / New midfielder and DCL + new striker up front. Haven't thought it through. Main issue is that tactical flexibility needed.

Right so how do you propose we increase our goals scored? Because siggy and richy have pretty good numbers already

I propose we do this by playing DCL ....

He started playing as the starting main striker against Cardiff 8 games ago..... in that game and since we scored 14 goals of which he scored 2.

Thats not a great return for him.... 1 in 4..... but 4 of those 8 games have been against top 6 and if you project those 1.75 goals a game over a season it equals 67 goals.... that's more than what spurs have scored.

So yeah..... there you have it.

Mate I’m not in the stands screaming at him, I don’t post him hate mail and I don’t wait outside his house with banners saying he’s crap. I just don’t think he’s good and mention it on here. We never replaced Lukaku or his goals and that needs addressing if we are to have any chance of breaking into top 6
But he's one of those strikers whose workrate help create chances round about him which others are cashing in on, I'm not saying he shouldn't improve his scoring rate or that we shouldn't buy in competition for him but he is well worth his place at the moment and I don't understand the angst.

We are constantly being linked with Rondon and guess what? exactly the same type of player with a similar goalscoring record.

DCL is only get better, and it's only a matter of time before he's in an England squad.

Well given the fact that I'm not judging him on his goals at all doesn't make any odds to me. My agenda is to try and guide the likes of yourself to appreciate the other elements of forward play which are kind of important..... failing miserably but it's like giving a piano to a man with no hands and expecting a tune.
I can play happy birthday on the piano with my feet.

Its all well and good having a low scoring striker who creates loads of goals for his teammates, but our issue is that of our front 4 (Bernard, Sigurddsson, Richarlison and DCL), we have 2 players with low scoring tallies for their position. At least one of Bernard and DCL need to step up their goal threat next season if we are to compete.

Other than that worry I have been absolutely made up with him over the last couple of months. Has contributed no end to our attacking play. Hopefully he takes this form into next season (+goals)!

Silva benching DCL next season would send a terrible message. He's been tasked with a really difficult role and has passed the test with flying colours. If Silva casts him aside next season then what impetus would their be for other players in the team to get their heads down and work hard? Hard work and successful application on the pitch simply HAS to be rewarded with further minutes, otherwise what's the point?

I'd understand if he'd been meh this season, but he really hasn't. People harp on about the goal tally, but he's actively helped create a lot of goals even if it wasn't him ultimately sticking them in the net. It was his touch from Digne's throw in that set up the Richarlison goal for instance

If Silva wants to bring in another striker as competition for Dom then that's perfectly reasonable, but that striker shouldn't then just walk into the team. The gig should be DCL's until the other striker proves that he deserves to replace him, and if he doesn't then Dom should keep the job

I actually think he'll score a bigger total of goals next season, but the big thing to pay attention to will be the hand he plays in other players scoring. If he's helping make the goals go in then it doesn't matter if it's him, Richarlison, Sigurdsson, Bernard, Coleman, Digne or Gomes being the ones to get the ball over the line. He'll have done his bit in just getting the ball in the goal, even if he hasn't personally scored

And perhaps (Sit down for a second because I think this might blow some peoples minds) if we do get another striker in, maybe Silva could try the wild and unprecedated tactic of playing TWO strikers TOGETHER at the SAME TIME!!
Good lord, we can't get a 20 goal a season striker in coz it's not fair on DCL, what an absolutely shocking mentality that is.

Good lord, we can't get a 20 goal a season striker in coz it's not fair on DCL, what an absolutely shocking mentality that is.

Is that what he said or did he imply that dropping a player who has come through and done a cracking job would potentially demotivate DCL and players like Anthony Gordon, Lewis Gibson and others who have just delivered the u23 league?

Yeah I think it was the latter.

Silva benching DCL next season would send a terrible message. He's been tasked with a really difficult role and has passed the test with flying colours. If Silva casts him aside next season then what impetus would their be for other players in the team to get their heads down and work hard? Hard work and successful application on the pitch simply HAS to be rewarded with further minutes, otherwise what's the point?

I'd understand if he'd been meh this season, but he really hasn't. People harp on about the goal tally, but he's actively helped create a lot of goals even if it wasn't him ultimately sticking them in the net. It was his touch from Digne's throw in that set up the Richarlison goal for instance

If Silva wants to bring in another striker as competition for Dom then that's perfectly reasonable, but that striker shouldn't then just walk into the team. The gig should be DCL's until the other striker proves that he deserves to replace him, and if he doesn't then Dom should keep the job

I actually think he'll score a bigger total of goals next season, but the big thing to pay attention to will be the hand he plays in other players scoring. If he's helping make the goals go in then it doesn't matter if it's him, Richarlison, Sigurdsson, Bernard, Coleman, Digne or Gomes being the ones to get the ball over the line. He'll have done his bit in just getting the ball in the goal, even if he hasn't personally scored

And perhaps (Sit down for a second because I think this might blow some peoples minds) if we do get another striker in, maybe Silva could try the wild and unprecedated tactic of playing TWO strikers TOGETHER at the SAME TIME!!

....these are very highly paid professionals, Mikey. The primary objective is the team. The manager utilises the players for the benefit of the team. The transfer strategy has to be to bring in better than we have, the playing strategy is to select the players who best fit the team.

If we bring in a striker, DCL will know it’s competition. We can’t continue to pick players so as not to let them down. They are all squad players, DCL will be a key component even if he’s not starting every week. It’s how the best teams work.

If there is a better striker out there who we have the opportunity to sign, then we absolutely should sign them.

That goes for any position. If better is available then we should strive to sign them. Players show no loyalty to clubs anymore so we owe no sentimentality back to them. We need to constantly seek to improve.

Thankfully Calvert Lewin has stepped up to the plate in recent weeks so our need this summer is no longer desperate. But either way we could do with a forward. Any decent team needs two decent centre forwards. We currently only have one. And if we had two fighting for a spot then that's a great situation for us to be in.

Its all well and good having a low scoring striker who creates loads of goals for his teammates, but our issue is that of our front 4 (Bernard, Sigurddsson, Richarlison and DCL), we have 2 players with low scoring tallies for their position. At least one of Bernard and DCL need to step up their goal threat next season if we are to compete.

Other than that worry I have been absolutely made up with him over the last couple of months. Has contributed no end to our attacking play. Hopefully he takes this form into next season (+goals)!
Exactly right.

It's worth pointing out that whoever has played up front this season, we've still being creating chances for the other attacking players, this isn't some new phenomenon over the last few weeks. The difference is that we've started taking more of them. Earlier in the season Bernard, and particularly Walcott, were missing gilt edged chance after gilt edged chance, and we dropped a shedload of points when we really 'deserved' more from games. In the last few weeks we've been better at putting the ball in the net, but you're absolutely bang on that you can't expect to be successful with 2 of your 4 first choice attacking players only contributing 10 goals or whatever between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.