2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH mate if Bournemouth spent 19 mill on a lad who's only had a handful of games I would want at least that for DCL probably more .Hes definitely getting better and seems to be putting himself about a bit more which is good to see . Me personally I wouldn't sell him and if he carries on like this I have to hold my hands and say I was wrong about the lad he played really well today well in Dom
I wouldn't sell him either it was more of an answer for all the "He's not good enough" etc.

He was doing this today.
He was moving toward and wide for it - easily snufffed out when he turned with it almost immediately; I''m asking for him to go and show his feet to an Everton midfielder and screen the ball and link up. He didn't do anything like that. And his physicality is non-existent.

He was moving toward and wide for it - easily snufffed out when he turned with it almost immediately; I''m asking for him to go and show his feet to an Everton midfielder and screen the ball and link up. He didn't do anything like that. And his physicality is non-existent.

He literally did that in the second half, just then.

.....ah, I think you were watching the golf.
No. I can see what he does and he is not an inspired player. He's a bog standard run-around player with almost no ingenuity.

When we get a decent striker in you and others will go: "ahhh, that's what we were missing".

He's a nice lad and all that, but Lordy, what a terrible player. He just runs aimlessly across the last third. I can never remember him coming short to offer a ball to feet or playing off the shoulder of the last defender.

If we had a striker with more intelligent movement (and a GK who wasn't a complete clown for 3 out of every 4 games) we'd be in business.

274.jpg

I said in my post he looks to be developing into a decent squad player.
Not every player in the squad is going to be potential game changer, but rather fulfill a wider role.

You’re right, if this squad wasn’t a complete mess, he wouldn’t be a guaranteed starter, but it is so he is. And that’s good for him as it’s allowing him to develop and showing what he can do if given an opportunity.

Once again, will he be good enough to be our #9 long term? I don’t think so, but how much would we pay for a backup striker of his potential? If he continues to improve at this rate he is good enough to fulfil that role.
No, you said swerve the not good enough quotes. He’s not good enough. Even as a squad player you need to be pushing the first choice as competition. Imagine for a moment that we sign a first choice stiker. Let’s say Rondon, for example, do you think he would be pushed to play harder/better by Dom? Rondon is hardly the level we should be looking at and even he wouldn’t feel pressure from Dom. He’s not good enough, squad player or first team.

No, you said swerve the not good enough quotes. He’s not good enough. Even as a squad player you need to be pushing the first choice as competition. Imagine for a moment that we sign a first choice stiker. Let’s say Rondon, for example, do you think he would be pushed to play harder/better by Dom? Rondon is hardly the level we should be looking at and even he wouldn’t feel pressure from Dom. He’s not good enough, squad player or first team.
Sorry, but that’s absolute nonsense.
Wouldn’t push Rondon? Get a grip.

Do you really think that if we splurge 40/50mil on a top quality striker that we are then going to spend another 20/30 mil on another striker at the level to push them?

Or maybe we spend 10/20 mil on a young up and coming striker who could develop into a player who may take a season or 2 to get to the level needed to push our main striker?

Why do that, when we have a decent up and coming attacker already with first team experience?

You say he’s not squad level quality or ever will be.
Firstly, he’s been one of our best performers recently, so by that metric, NONE of our first team are good enough.
Secondly, he is very highly thought of by the manager, DOF and the England set-up, and I’ll take their opinion over yours tbh.

I’d take the opinion of Eggs that’s actually kicked a football before over a TV warrior like me and you.
I back my judgement.

If you were impressed with DCL today then it means you're content having a striker who runs about in areas of the pitch where you dont do damage.

His header off the corner today that set up Richarlison was his one and only contribution of value as a striker all afternoon.

Running about doesn't impress me, tbh.

I back my judgement.

If you were impressed with DCL today then it means you're content having a striker who runs about in areas of the pitch where you dont do damage.

His header off the corner today that set up Richarlison was his one and only contribution of value as a striker all afternoon.

Running about doesn't impress me, tbh.

The header that led to the opening goal? Yeh I’ll take that as worthwhile involvement.

No. I can see what he does and he is not an inspired player. He's a bog standard run-around player with almost no ingenuity.

When we get a decent striker in you and others will go: "ahhh, that's what we were missing".

.....I don’t think anybody is saying we don’t need a top striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.