DoF satisfaction rating: summer transfer window 2019/20 season

Are you satisfied with the DoFs performance this past summer?

• Yes

Votes: 197 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 164 46.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are injuries (Gbamin most notably)and players who have hardly played yet so the jury is out. I do think we still lack in defence pace wise and in midfield in terms of a box to box player. But we were never going to get everything in one window and losing Zouma and Gana was always going to be tough. Maybe we revisit the Zouma situation in January? As he doesn't seem to be first choice there. Going forward we have enough(even if I would have liked a more experienced striker) but Kean needs time and we need to get a system that suits the players better the 4231 is totally old fashioned and becomes a 451 away.

I don’t know anout you Eggs, but I had never heard of this Gbamin fellow before we signed him.

That, to me, rings a warning bell that he is not going to be the answer to our problems in midfield :(

...I hadn’t heard of him but that worries me less. With Kean disappointing to this stage, i’m inclined to think a lot now rests on Gbamin making a huge difference. Saying that, it’s not long until January when we can address the central defensive problem.

I wonder if we’re also in the market for an alternative to Gomes.

....surely much to early to analyse, especially given the injury to Gbamin.
....he did fine getting rid of much of the deadwood, but my initial feeling is the signings aren’t as good as last summers intake.

Iwobi looks very decent, Kean is a disappointment, Delph might be an ok addition, Sidebe was poor on his only appearance. A lot rests on Gbamin.

I really rate Brands but ive voted no.

1 - No centre back signed

2 - Only Gbamin in the centre has the athleticism / physicality to potentially become a monster.

3 -- I wouldnt have gone for either Gomes or Delph in the middle for £35mil and instead would have tried for another physically imposing player able to play DM/CM.

There was a big opportinity to bring in 2 physical midfielders and use this season to gradually form an effective partnership. All the slating of the formation wouldnt be an issue if we had signed 2 of Gbamin / Doucoure / Sangare...

You have to focus on the spine and to sign Gomes / Delph makes no sense to me without another player similar to the above three.

Brands still hasn't addressed all our deficiencies, but I blame Silva more than anyone, he is the manager.
Also apparently, don't know if it's been said on here before but Silva's former assistant, who i now manager of newly promoted Famalicao, are top of the Portuguese premier league, ahead of Benifica. Wonder if he's as big a miss than was first thought ?

...I really couldn’t vote at this stage because you’re almost blaming the poor results on this summers signings rather than consider their individual performances.

There is also a balance in moving on the deadwood.
But that's being done elsewhere in other threads on the team management. I'm not controversially breaking new ground here.

I don’t know anout you Eggs, but I had never heard of this Gbamin fellow before we signed him.

That, to me, rings a warning bell that he is not going to be the answer to our problems in midfield :(
...I hadn’t heard of him but that worries me less. With Kean disappointing to this stage, i’m inclined to think a lot now rests on Gbamin making a huge difference. Saying that, it’s not long until January when we can address the central defensive problem.

I wonder if we’re also in the market for an alternative to Gomes.

I know alot of people didnt rate Gbamin but i thought he looked like he'd be a good player when up to speed...seemed to improve very quickly.

The Kean signing was a masterstroke and he'll come good. However, as ive written above i have no idea why we signed Delph + Gomes if we werent going to also sign another physical monster in there.

Neither of those two players can play in a 2 imo and neither can be relied upon over a season.

To be honest this is stupid. Can’t help but think you are on a campaign to distract attention away from your beloved Silva.
Is it not fair to keep score on the man who buys our players as well as keeping score on the man tasked with using them?

It wasn't a great window but we were hamstrung by having so many wasters on the books and not having the ability to shift them.

I don't blame Brands for the situation - he inherited a mess and he's got an equally big mess of a manager to work with.

Answer should be yes and no

The business he did do he done very well

Its the business he didn't do that's the major issue
There is that distinction, yes, and it;s been made by me in the thread. There's a firm basis for a vote for anyone who wishes to cast one.

Is it not fair to keep score on the man who buys our players as well as keeping score on the man tasked with using them?

Not when he is not responsible for picking Schneiderlin and not responsible on what tactics to deploy that suit our players. He is not even responsible for picking Silva in the first place ffs.

If there’s any fault, I suggest blaming him for sticking with Silva.

Status
Not open for further replies.