Dodging bullets: Players Everton were heavily linked with that you were glad we never signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dion Dublin. Only because we should have been so much better than what he could offer but at the time I know he’d have improved us. How had we fallen from Dean, Hickson, Royce, Latchford, Sharp to losing Kendall over someone of the limitations of a presenter from Homes Under the Hammer!

Dublin personally, singually and without ever willingly knowing aged me 10 years when he scored against us last game of the season. I might have my own sub title to this thread of dodging bullets....yet secretly admired.

Dion Dublin. Only because we should have been so much better than what he could offer but at the time I know he’d have improved us. How had we fallen from Dean, Hickson, Royce, Latchford, Sharp to losing Kendall over someone of the limitations of a presenter from Homes Under the Hammer!

Dublin personally, singually and without ever willingly knowing aged me 10 years when he scored against us last game of the season. I might have my own sub title to this thread of dodging bullets....yet secretly admired.
Met him last season outside Goodison when he was commenting on a game, I forget which as it was in the death-throes of fat Sam's tenure. Dion was lovely however, very nice guy. He admitted he was almost about to join Everton but sudden cold feet at our end killed the deal. He didn't elaborate on it, I should have asked really.

He was very sheepish when I mentioned he almost buried us in '98... Almost apologetic. Very complimentary about Everton and seemed an honest genuine bloke.

A shame really as I always thought he was a clever striker, very adept and must have been horrible to mark for defenders.

Not fair to judge him against great strikers of Everton past though - we were swimming in a very small pool at the time and he was about the best we could find. That we never bothered signing him yet got Madar and Spencer speaks volumes about how pants we really were back then..

I would have loved Dublin at us. Always a goalscorer regardless and could also fill in in defence when needed.

I would have loved Dublin at us. Always a goalscorer regardless and could also fill in in defence when needed.
It's mad to me that back in those days you could have players that can play in the centre of defence or as a striker. There aren't any examples in the modern game but I was reading when Latchford left Birmingham, the replacement was someone they had on the books who was a centre back and then he went on to play for Clough's Forest team. I couldn't think of anyone who could do that today.

Met him last season outside Goodison when he was commenting on a game, I forget which as it was in the death-throes of fat Sam's tenure. Dion was lovely however, very nice guy. He admitted he was almost about to join Everton but sudden cold feet at our end killed the deal. He didn't elaborate on it, I should have asked really.

He was very sheepish when I mentioned he almost buried us in '98... Almost apologetic. Very complimentary about Everton and seemed an honest genuine bloke.

A shame really as I always thought he was a clever striker, very adept and must have been horrible to mark for defenders.

Not fair to judge him against great strikers of Everton past though - we were swimming in a very small pool at the time and he was about the best we could find. That we never bothered signing him yet got Madar and Spencer speaks volumes about how pants we really were back then..

Dublin would have been a fantastic striker for us, very good player.

Kyle Naughton turned us down in favour of Tottenham.

He only got a handful of Carling Cup and sub appearances for them

It's mad to me that back in those days you could have players that can play in the centre of defence or as a striker. There aren't any examples in the modern game but I was reading when Latchford left Birmingham, the replacement was someone they had on the books who was a centre back and then he went on to play for Clough's Forest team. I couldn't think of anyone who could do that today.

Yeah it does seem to be a lost art. Even in the 90's there was a few of them knocking about like Ian Marshall, Gary Doherty and Paul Warhurst. We had it with Steve Watson I suppose, played him up top one game and he scored a hat trick!

I think teams just have more options these days, bigger squads, huge youth set ups etc. back then you had a core group of players and they pretty much had to use whatever they could.

Status
Not open for further replies.