Do Everton need a CB

• Yes - Jagielka/Distin/Stones/Alcaraz aren't good enough

Votes: 296 82.2%
  • No - Knee jerk reaction.

Votes: 64 17.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you probably right mate. I only see him play for a couple of times. I just want to get someone in. I am desperate after witnessing these shameless defensive display. Harsh but I feel extremely disappointed.
I know i know. I was there mate, had to stop drinking at halftime because i could feel myself getting proper wound up. I feel your frustration as does every other Evertonian.

Six goals is woeful, and it doesn't excuse the fact that something needs to change (not sure what), but three of the goals are: offside for the second, unlucky deflection for Coleman's OG, and Besic making a mistake in midfield. It was an off-color game from the midfield, which didn't help, but I think Stones for Distin may be a slight change that isn't a disruption but at the same time can change things for the better.

Tyias Browning is not the answer right now to our problems, but I do think there needs to be a heightened emphasis on evaluating him as part of our senior squad this season. There is value in sending him out on loan, but I think it's more important that we see him play for us in Cup matches and Europa League. The club needs to know where they stand with Browning before deciding what kind of financial commitment to make in the transfer market.

(Assuming, of course, the coaching staff still rates him as highly as they did in the spring.)

It's jags. He's the one all over the shop. Give stones and the aging distin the nod. 9 shitty (sorry mods) goals we've conceded.

Yes we need to improve our CB.

I don't see it happening this window, I just don't see clear upgrades available that we can afford. We could probably take a shot on someone with upside for the future, but then we already have that in Stones.

Seems like our experienced CBs are making mistakes because they're not what they used to be physically. Problem is if you bring the young bucks in then they'll be making mistakes that come from lack of experience (like Besic today and let's not forget about Stones' preseason mistakes on the ball when pressured). But, like Besic, there's no remedy for being green other than to play and learn from mistakes. So while I'd like to get someone else in who would be quality immediately, I think the best move would be to start regularly rotating Stones in as a CB. That, for me, would mean finding cover at RB (RB is much cheaper than CB anyway) so Stones can focus full-time on CB.

Unfortunately this question is futile. There is no time left to find a suitable defender anymore. We decided to invest our budget into our offence/midfield. Let's wait and see how things develop. I still have faith in our defence, the unit that was one of the best last season does not turn into the worst overnight. :)

Unless we can loan out Nastasic, I can't see us finding an available player who would instantly improve us, we won't be paying large sums, especially not for a defender. This ship has sailed lads for now.

Add in Joe Gomez to Stones, Galloway and Browning and theres 4 young centre backs with England youth games and lower league experience to come through.

Distin and alcaraz will be gone at the end of the season. Leaving Jags and Stones -- 2 of these 3 remaining players should get chances to impress this season and then act as backup next season.

Then we have 4 young England players with Jagielka mentoring them.

Status
Not open for further replies.