Do Everton need a CB

• Yes - Jagielka/Distin/Stones/Alcaraz aren't good enough

Votes: 296 82.2%
  • No - Knee jerk reaction.

Votes: 64 17.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point about jags looking like Heitinga - I agree - with the proviso that jags actually looks worse now than Heitinga ever did for us and that really is saying something considering the dogs abuse johnny took from us the fans.

In the summer the majority didn't want a centre back!!!

I don't think there is a single one of us who expected Jags and Distin, and even Stones pre season, to play so badly. Perhaps the defensive coach need binning if they are all out of sorts?

It is so typical of Everton, raise your hopes, then smash them to pieces.

Madness all of this. Firstly, our defence last season was alright. Secondly, defending is a team effort, not just that of the defenders. I mean two of our centre backs are in the England squad. What else do we want here?

Last season it was great but it has started really badly this season so something has to be done, whether that's just changing things round or bringing in somebody to help out.
I said after the last season finished that we needed to get in at least 1 quality CB to challenge both our regular CB's and take over from Distin who I think is going in to his last major season with us. My choice was Martins-Indi but he has gone to Porto so someone from the group of Nastasic, Rolando, Van Dijk, Alderweireld, Moisander would be my choice now.
Regarding the fact that some of our defenders play for England - that doesn't hold much weight nowadays because England are pretty rubbish!
Sad but true.

Yes. We need one desperately. Stones should be bedded in as well as a long-term future option, with Distin phased out.

I hear what your saying here, but imo its Jagielka thats the current week link at the back. I dont think he has been the same since his return from injury and I think Stones is very unlucky to have lost his place regardless of the pre season errors.

Talking of ageing players being caught out I'm wondering if we can't put Barry in the same category - lack of protection from the middle of the park for the defence I thought Barry looked wildly off the pace yesterday.

I don't think there is a single one of us who expected Jags and Distin, and even Stones pre season, to play so badly. Perhaps the defensive coach need binning if they are all out of sorts?

It is so typical of Everton, raise your hopes, then smash them to pieces.

Does it not look more like we are settling into the way Bobby plays, and the 1 thing he could never do as a manager is defend ???

With the back 4 he was left, they were already solid. The 1 big worry for me from day 1 was if he can rebuild this defence, when needed.

Does it not look more like we are settling into the way Bobby plays, and the 1 thing he could never do as a manager is defend ???

With the back 4 he was left, they were already solid. The 1 big worry for me from day 1 was if he can rebuild this defence, when needed.
If that's the case then someone at the club should impose some signings on him - its not completely unusual.

If that's the case then someone at the club should impose some signings on him - its not completely unusual.

Maybe that is not the case, im just throwing it out their.

Could be down to Jags form, but the whole defensive unit has been poor, Baines too.

The problem with older players is that the day of reckoning can happen very quickly - overnight almost and a change is required instantly. Certain positions you can get away with like Osman and Neville but you're so exposed at centre back. I think that's the issue facing jags and Distin now and even Barry might have run out of gas for all we know.

Maybe that is not the case, im just throwing it out their.

Could be down to Jags form, but the whole defensive unit has been poor, Baines too.
I'm just saying there are ways and means around the issue without having to involve a manager who may or may not be defensively lacking.

Yeah, let's sign another centre halve so we have 5 of the them on the books and John Stones - the biggest talent defensive wise in English football - is further pushed down the pecking order #GetAGrip #3GamesIn

Status
Not open for further replies.