Diving by Everton Players

What is your preferred outcome when an Everton player dives?

• Player wins a free kick/penalty for us

Votes: 69 39.2%
  • Player is booked for cheating

Votes: 107 60.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a really tricky one, because there's black, white and grey areas. Unfortunately, players exaggerate contact because refs simply don't call fouls otherwise (or very rarely do). For me, a dive is when there is no contact at all (simulation). The grey area is who initiates the contact... I'm fine if a defender initiates contact and the ball-player exaggerates contact to make it clear to the ref, that's a part of the game we have to accept. But when a ball-player seeks out contact (trailing leg, diverted run into a non-threatening defender), that's disappointing. The problem is (and what makes this a grey area) is how does the ref tell? When they have to make a split second decision on something that people will argue about days later with the benefit of slow motion replays from multiple angles... what can you do?

Diving has never been an Everton thing, other clubs it is a tactic, I just don't buy it myself. This is way the "we never get pens" debate for me isn't a issue, we don't get them unless the defense hands them to us, our players put scoring first not trying to cheat.

It's a really tricky one, because there's black, white and grey areas. Unfortunately, players exaggerate contact because refs simply don't call fouls otherwise (or very rarely do). For me, a dive is when there is no contact at all (simulation). The grey area is who initiates the contact... I'm fine if a defender initiates contact and the ball-player exaggerates contact to make it clear to the ref, that's a part of the game we have to accept. But when a ball-player seeks out contact (trailing leg, diverted run into a non-threatening defender), that's disappointing. The problem is (and what makes this a grey area) is how does the ref tell? When they have to make a split second decision on something that people will argue about days later with the benefit of slow motion replays from multiple angles... what can you do?

Great post.

And it illustrates why cards should not be dished out for "simulation" at the time and should be referred to a panel afterwards, like the "dubious goals committee".

It is far too hard to call......if the ref thinks a bloke had been fouled he will give the free kick.

If he thinks the player is trying it on, wave play on and have it dealt with later.

At the minute there is no consistency at all.

.....there's a fine dividing line that also takes into account players going over when they have hardly been touched or as soon as there is physical contact. Pienaar does it as did Arteta. Sadly, that's also part of the modern game and can only be stopped by referee's interpretation.

Used to be against it, but now I'm not. Everyone does it and whether you like it or not, you lose out if you don't do it. I cringe at some of our poorer attempts though!

My worry is that a player like Deulofeu goes down so easily and then gets a reputation for diving that results in a referee denying us a nailed on penalty when he has been genuinely taken down.

My worry is that a player like Deulofeu goes down so easily and then gets a reputation for diving that results in a referee denying us a nailed on penalty when he has been genuinely taken down.

Used to happen regularly with AJ.

Ross had a spell of doing it too, Geri does it when he has an advantage though and instead of carrying on dives or flails his arms in the air. The way he reacts probably puts referee off giving him the decision, as we seen when The ref called him a cheat earlier in the season.

Diving is not the Everton way..lets forget about Radwinski then.

Coleman likes a dive in their penalty box but to the best of my knowledge has never got anything. Del boy's fame
proceeds him.

What annoys me is that EFC are so bad at diving. LFC with Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge made it into an art form.

Our poor diving record and our ability to milk red cards out of refs is what annoys me. I am still annoyed at how Chelski surrounded the ref last season and got barry sent off for a nothing foul. When has EFC done something similar? We are not a win at all costs team and need to toughen up. Its part of the moden professional game or has nobody watched how Barca
for example resort to the black arts if necessary.

I don't like our players diving because they are terrible at it. Deulofeu is getting a reputation and it's now almost impossible for him to win penalties or free kicks because he's known as a diver and referees are to scared to give a foul in favour of him

Don't like diving, don't like whingeing at referees. Graeme Sharp, Andy Gray, Paul Rideout all got on my nerves back in the day. Shut up and get on with the game. As for surrounding referees, don't get me started.

We play it on the carpet, we play it in the air, which ever way we play it, we play it fair and square.

Status
Not open for further replies.