Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

My mother in law has two sisters, who on the face of it are the epitome of white middle class respectable ladies.

Within hours of their mum being dead they’d raided her house for her jewellery and antiques.

I’ve heard similar stories many times.

A death can bring out the very worst in people, as well as the best.

I'm afraid so, I could recall a similar tale from within my own family.

So getting a degree changes your life. For the better or for worse? I got my degree in the summer, first class n all - yay me. Was going to go straight into a research masters but wasn’t fully sold on the idea I’d chosen so was advised to have a year out to make an informed decision. So I get a part time postie job which turned out to be a bit shambolic with uncertainty over hours and bullying throughout the tiers of management etc. I ended up leaving and heading back to Sainsburys where I used to work years ago as I know the manager so it was a good way to just switch jobs for the time being. The downfall of this is that it is 4am starts four times a week (4-8) plus one afternoon shift in the middle. I used to do it and struggled with the sleep etc. But my god it’s terrible now. Within a few days I could feel my mood had changed and the lack of sleep etc just takes it’s toll (I can never sleep properly before the shift!!). So I am feeling pretty miserable about it all and have been trying for a couple of months now to find an alternative (either part time or full time to tide me over whilst I make up my mind re my studies). Nowhere will touch you with a bargepole if you have a degree it seems! I’d prefer part time work really so I could stick with it if and when I go back to uni. Certainly no companies with part time positions seem to even entertain the idea of employing me.

So the point of this is that I just feel so miserable. The lack of sleep is just killing my mood and I feel so helpless as I am trying hard to find alternatives and seem like I am stuck. It’s hard not to feel pretty negative about all of this as I have always worked hard, always had a job, even alongside my studies (I went back as a mature student and sacrificed the full time income etc!)... and I worked hard to get the degree I did, and then I feel like you come out in a worse position than before you had the degree!

I’m not sure if any of this makes sense but I’m just struggling to feel any positivity right now regarding my position. I feel like I’m in limbo and I can’t do anything about it. I want to work, I want to earn money, I want to feel like I am worth something, but I want to sleep adequately also!! And often advice is that there are people worse off than me and I have so much going for me etc. I appreciate that, I really do, but you know when you’re just so dissatisfied with where you think you should be because of how hard you’ve worked etc? Maybe I’m being too negative. I know a lot of people have it worse or just get on with it. I just need to get this all out and hope someone can advise me or tell me about some kind of job that I can jump at!! If there are any fellow 3am risers then please, let’s chat ‍♀️

So getting a degree changes your life. For the better or for worse? I got my degree in the summer, first class n all - yay me. Was going to go straight into a research masters but wasn’t fully sold on the idea I’d chosen so was advised to have a year out to make an informed decision. So I get a part time postie job which turned out to be a bit shambolic with uncertainty over hours and bullying throughout the tiers of management etc. I ended up leaving and heading back to Sainsburys where I used to work years ago as I know the manager so it was a good way to just switch jobs for the time being. The downfall of this is that it is 4am starts four times a week (4-8) plus one afternoon shift in the middle. I used to do it and struggled with the sleep etc. But my god it’s terrible now. Within a few days I could feel my mood had changed and the lack of sleep etc just takes it’s toll (I can never sleep properly before the shift!!). So I am feeling pretty miserable about it all and have been trying for a couple of months now to find an alternative (either part time or full time to tide me over whilst I make up my mind re my studies). Nowhere will touch you with a bargepole if you have a degree it seems! I’d prefer part time work really so I could stick with it if and when I go back to uni. Certainly no companies with part time positions seem to even entertain the idea of employing me.

So the point of this is that I just feel so miserable. The lack of sleep is just killing my mood and I feel so helpless as I am trying hard to find alternatives and seem like I am stuck. It’s hard not to feel pretty negative about all of this as I have always worked hard, always had a job, even alongside my studies (I went back as a mature student and sacrificed the full time income etc!)... and I worked hard to get the degree I did, and then I feel like you come out in a worse position than before you had the degree!

I’m not sure if any of this makes sense but I’m just struggling to feel any positivity right now regarding my position. I feel like I’m in limbo and I can’t do anything about it. I want to work, I want to earn money, I want to feel like I am worth something, but I want to sleep adequately also!! And often advice is that there are people worse off than me and I have so much going for me etc. I appreciate that, I really do, but you know when you’re just so dissatisfied with where you think you should be because of how hard you’ve worked etc? Maybe I’m being too negative. I know a lot of people have it worse or just get on with it. I just need to get this all out and hope someone can advise me or tell me about some kind of job that I can jump at!! If there are any fellow 3am risers then please, let’s chat ‍♀

Have you got a driving licence mate ?

There’s loads and loads of part time driving jobs out there. Many in which you can work your own hours - Yodel etc.

I’m not sure if any of this makes sense but I’m just struggling to feel any positivity right now regarding my position. I feel like I’m in limbo and I can’t do anything about it. I want to work, I want to earn money, I want to feel like I am worth something, but I want to sleep adequately also!! And often advice is that there are people worse off than me and I have so much going for me etc. I appreciate that, I really do, but you know when you’re just so dissatisfied with where you think you should be because of how hard you’ve worked etc? Maybe I’m being too negative. I know a lot of people have it worse or just get on with it. I just need to get this all out and hope someone can advise me or tell me about some kind of job that I can jump at!! If there are any fellow 3am risers then please, let’s chat ‍♀

Have you tried going to the doctor's for something to help you sleep? My wife worked nights a few years back and the only way she could sleep before a shift was to take nytol.

As for the job applications, have you tried simply neglecting to mention that you have a degree?

I don't really know how to post this so I'll just have to say it directly. I've deliberated posting this for a while now and always clicked off so taking a lot to write this.

On New year's Eve I lost my nan. Around half 11 to be precise. I had no way of getting over there by the time I found out so all i can do is support my mum every step of the way. I'm not a person who really deals with emotions about anything, going the flat was a coping mechanism simply to have it all hit me. As you can probably expect I was close to her and essentially she helped raise me , all through my life I have memories.

The last week has been none stop with problems with everything , believe me I haven't had time to grieve or deal with it properly as a result. Plus still being normal for the family is a big thing for me. Can't have them see me upset , which I know isn't the right attitude but there you go.

Anyway, I went the bank with my mum to close it over today as my auntie was the nominated person to take money out for my nan whilst she was still alive. So she would take money out for her on her behalf when she asked and that only really was for shopping or going the pub with my mum on a Monday night. Nothing excessive bar a phone bill for about 20 quid. There was no card , it was simply a paying in book that she would take and withdraw each amount. Up until now she has always forgot to bring the book with her when she met up with my mum.

After over an hour in the bank after they couldn't find her account we found out 2 things. One was that sometime in the past she had changed the bank address to her own without telling anyone.

The second? She has been withdrawing every penny out the account for as long as we know. Even 12 months ago she was taking every penny out, she knew what went in and when it did so that meant more than one trip to the bank a week sometimes. We are talking thousands here , not just a few quid off the top like I thought it would be. My nan died with 160 pounds to her name.

To be honest I have no idea how to feel, about what to do. They is no money to get back from her as she would never have it to pay back. Plus why claim the money? It belonged to my nan only , noone has claim to it. The other side is criminal activity but my mum wouldn't want to send her sister to prison. So I have no idea what to do and the weight of the world is on my shoulders because it's going to have to be me to bring all this out . I'm not just losing my nan , I'm losing an aunt, uncle , cousins here.

Also for context , my auntie chose to go home drinking for new year after knowing her mum was dying. Didn't go to see her Christmas day in hospital . She did however go and take more money out the day she died, possibly even after knowing.

In total since my nan went into hospital she has taken out anywhere between 1000-1500 with my mum only seeing 300 for the funeral . She has withdrew for herself since my nan died 600 pounds , possibly more as the statement only went to friday and she let slip she has been yesterday even.

So yeah , sorry for the long post . I know there isn't an answer in all of this and it's an impossible situation. I just don't know how to feel knowing what's to come and then weight of it all on my shoulders now. even now I haven't got time to deal with anything and I have work to go back to next week so that's not going to be encouraging.

Sorry for the post
First of all, so sorry about your Nan. I see loads of this in my job - not particularly family members but Care workers robbing the old folk they are supposed to look after. Have the bank admitted any kind of liability. They should have identified irregularities in the frequency and amounts of money being withdrawn. It's certainly worth a letter of complaint. Did your Nan own her own house. You might want to make sure she still does - if your aunt had power of attorney she could have changed the ownership - although Land Registry ( my old employer) are very good at spotting potential fraud. It's easy to do, you can go on line and check. Will cost you £3

Have you got a driving licence mate ?

There’s loads and loads of part time driving jobs out there. Many in which you can work your own hours - Yodel etc.
I do yeah and have done delivery driving for Sainsburys before so quite like it, I just always look at the reviews for those things and they’re never very good. Do you know what it’s meant to be like?!

Have you tried going to the doctor's for something to help you sleep? My wife worked nights a few years back and the only way she could sleep before a shift was to take nytol.

As for the job applications, have you tried simply neglecting to mention that you have a degree?
I have been taking Nytol that you can get over the counter. It seems to work but leaves me dazed the next day! Might be something I have to deal with ‍♀️

I have considered that recently yes!! I worked alongside the degree so at least an employment gap won’t show up if I take it off. Feels a bit dishonest but not sure I have much choice!!

I don't really know how to post this so I'll just have to say it directly. I've deliberated posting this for a while now and always clicked off so taking a lot to write this.

On New year's Eve I lost my nan. Around half 11 to be precise. I had no way of getting over there by the time I found out so all i can do is support my mum every step of the way. I'm not a person who really deals with emotions about anything, going the flat was a coping mechanism simply to have it all hit me. As you can probably expect I was close to her and essentially she helped raise me , all through my life I have memories.

The last week has been none stop with problems with everything , believe me I haven't had time to grieve or deal with it properly as a result. Plus still being normal for the family is a big thing for me. Can't have them see me upset , which I know isn't the right attitude but there you go.

Anyway, I went the bank with my mum to close it over today as my auntie was the nominated person to take money out for my nan whilst she was still alive. So she would take money out for her on her behalf when she asked and that only really was for shopping or going the pub with my mum on a Monday night. Nothing excessive bar a phone bill for about 20 quid. There was no card , it was simply a paying in book that she would take and withdraw each amount. Up until now she has always forgot to bring the book with her when she met up with my mum.

After over an hour in the bank after they couldn't find her account we found out 2 things. One was that sometime in the past she had changed the bank address to her own without telling anyone.

The second? She has been withdrawing every penny out the account for as long as we know. Even 12 months ago she was taking every penny out, she knew what went in and when it did so that meant more than one trip to the bank a week sometimes. We are talking thousands here , not just a few quid off the top like I thought it would be. My nan died with 160 pounds to her name.

To be honest I have no idea how to feel, about what to do. They is no money to get back from her as she would never have it to pay back. Plus why claim the money? It belonged to my nan only , noone has claim to it. The other side is criminal activity but my mum wouldn't want to send her sister to prison. So I have no idea what to do and the weight of the world is on my shoulders because it's going to have to be me to bring all this out . I'm not just losing my nan , I'm losing an aunt, uncle , cousins here.

Also for context , my auntie chose to go home drinking for new year after knowing her mum was dying. Didn't go to see her Christmas day in hospital . She did however go and take more money out the day she died, possibly even after knowing.

In total since my nan went into hospital she has taken out anywhere between 1000-1500 with my mum only seeing 300 for the funeral . She has withdrew for herself since my nan died 600 pounds , possibly more as the statement only went to friday and she let slip she has been yesterday even.

So yeah , sorry for the long post . I know there isn't an answer in all of this and it's an impossible situation. I just don't know how to feel knowing what's to come and then weight of it all on my shoulders now. even now I haven't got time to deal with anything and I have work to go back to next week so that's not going to be encouraging.

Sorry for the post
first off sorry for your loss. and dont apologise for posting. I've just read your post to my missus and her advice is to do what you think your nan would do in this situation.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply . I have been reading them all and hopefully I can now respond to you.
Firstly don't apologise mate. Good to get it off you chest. I was really close to my nan who I lost 7 years ago. I still speak out loud to her and I sometimes swear I can see her in my little boy. She died of dementia which my dad is currently in a home for. I know how it ends and I stopped seeing my nan in the end because I couldn't bear to see her in her condition so I never got to say goodbye properly. I just hold on to the years of fantastic memories of her and she'll always be with me.

In regards your aunty, sounds awful what she's done. Are you able to talk to her and find out why and what she's done with the cash? On the face of it it sounds disgusting but I guess you never really know why people do these things. Guess your number one priority is for you and your mum to take care of each other.

We haven't but then we don't want to raise the issue beforehand in case it led to issues ahead of the funeral . That and covering tracks if that is at possible.
Just get the bizzies involved.
Will make you feel better.

Had similar, but keep the good memories good.

We are going tomorrow.
Yeah, you have to do something about that. It'll eat you up otherwise. It's important to remember that its your auntie who wrote the problems, not you.

Is it possible to talk to her first?

We don't really want to bring it all out in the open ahead of the funeral. As you can probably imagine but we don't want to let it all rest.

Hi mate,

This is such a tragic state of affairs in so many ways and what your Aunt has got up to must be tearing you up.

Was there a power of attorney over your Nan`s financial affairs - has to be two people to try and stop what happened happening or even forged signatures ?

If so, your Aunt may have committed criminal offences, as she will have acted without the knowledge of the second person who has power of attorney.

Either way, I`d advise you to seek legal advice as to what she has done.

I believe Age Concern may be able to advise, as this sort of thing sadly isn`t uncommon.

The rest of your family need to know what your Aunt has done, as if you keep it in house with you and your mum, fingers may be pointed at you too - why didn`t they tell anyone / what have they got to hide too ?

Plus the knowledge of what she has done will eat you up.

It was a nominated person of sorts on the account. So she was going on her behalf to withdraw money. So when there was returns to the bank, bigger withdrawals at events such as holidays etc it's clear to see the pattern.

Luckily so much of my mum's life was traceable from holiday payments to bills. Any accusations thrown her way won't stick.

This will all need to come out eventually to everyone and I have no idea how it will go down on my uncles side of things as they are the old fashioned type of family. Will they turn on is or disown him?

Christ, that's awful. Is your aunt not popular with the family or something? Why would she do such an abhorrent thing?

The opposite. She was close to some extent whilst living her own life. Seen her at holidays, had contact and even my uncle I grew up looking up to.

Gone through a horribly similar situation over the last 18 months and this is all spot on.

Thoughts with you @Kenshin but deffo start looking into all of the above.

Cheers, horrible that this sort of thing isn't that uncommon in the world.
I'm afraid this isn't going to end well and unless your Aunt comes clean it's going to cause no end of a rift in the family. Don't know how close your Mum is to her sister or whether she would wish to take her to account for the sake of family dynamics.
It's a rotten situation when people you thought loved your Nan were secretly taking advantage. Sticks like a fishbone in the throat.
One thing for sure, this could develop into a major rift especially between your Mum and her sister (small 's' because her actions don't deserve anything more) but I wonder if it may be something the two need to sort out together. Maybe threaten to tell the family unless she comes clean and can justify her abhorrent actions before getting legal?
One thing is for sure, blood is thicker than water and would your Aunt wish to shove a wedge between her and your Mum. In time she may develop shame - none of us are getting any younger - and regret her actions as they clearly are hurting the ones she professes to love.
Take solace from knowing Nan is in a better place and would not have condoned her daughters actions. If your Aunt can sleep knowing that she has taken such advantage without thought to her nearest and dearest then Karma will have a way of putting things straight.
I hope mattes are resolved, amicably, but emotions are running high and you need to let things settle before taking your next step.
In the meantime, so sorry for your loss

Cheers. The thing is despite being close, if the tables were turned then I imagine this would be going the same way. They would have been straight down the police station. This is ripping the family apart for sure but even if you cut ties and never spoke to them again, how does that make things better? They get away with it without any come back I guess.
First of all, so sorry about your Nan. I see loads of this in my job - not particularly family members but Care workers robbing the old folk they are supposed to look after. Have the bank admitted any kind of liability. They should have identified irregularities in the frequency and amounts of money being withdrawn. It's certainly worth a letter of complaint. Did your Nan own her own house. You might want to make sure she still does - if your aunt had power of attorney she could have changed the ownership - although Land Registry ( my old employer) are very good at spotting potential fraud. It's easy to do, you can go on line and check. Will cost you £3

She didn't . It was a sheltered flat of sorts. We need to double check tomorrow if any rent was being paid and how much etc. We plan to pull bills and reciepts she has kept to see to what extent this has been.
first off sorry for your loss. and dont apologise for posting. I've just read your post to my missus and her advice is to do what you think your nan would do in this situation.
She wouldn't want to do anything but I imagine it would break her heart.

To give you an update. We are going the police station tomorrow. The more we talk about it the worse it gets. I mean at some point in time there could have been thousands in that account never mind what was taken since. We need to check the new years eve withdrawal as I'm dreading it's after they knew she was dying that day.

I have to be honest, spending 3 days talking about it made us so sure this was the right thing to do. At the 11th hour it's tearing me apart though. I grew up with them , I looked up to my uncle and modelled myself on him. These people called me son and treated me as one of their own. Yet when all is said and done, the face they see may be my mum's but it's.going to be me holding the knife.

It's the typical head over heart. I know the right thing to do is to go the police and we will do tomorrow . It's not about money, it's about my nan. All the times she had to wait for money, all the times she was left with a tenner in her purse with over a thousand in the bank that had gone in and taken out. But it still tears me apart inside knowing what I'm going to do and how much of a betrayal it will be from a family viewpoint.

My nan wasn't tight. She would give money to anyone who needed it. If I asked for a grand then she would give it to me and forget the debt, not that I ever did. To know she died with essentially not even a penny to her name , I can't let that go.

It just doesn't stop it eating me up inside after tomorrow. To know the next time I see them will be at the funeral knowing what I have done or with them knowing it.

And come Monday it's back to work and I have to pretend that none of this is happening. I have no idea how I will do that but I'm going to have to try.

@Kenshin

Your maturity and attitude to this is a credit to you and your upbringing. You haven't once made it about the money, it's always about depriving your grandmother of what was hers.

Its heartbreaking that you have to do this, but you're doing the right thing by all concerned. Stay strong and I hope it works out the best way possible for all concerned.

Never sure what to say to somebody going to a funeral... "enjoy it" obviously isn't right. But I hope it reminds you of your nan and that you can see how she was loved.

Best wishes.

@Kenshin I don't know where you work but is there any capacity for you to get some time off to sort this out? Does your employer have a policy that covers "domestic emergencies" or even bereavement leave. If you have a decent relationship with your boss could you explain what has happened and ask them for a few days off while you deal with this additional awful situation.

i understand all your feelings about your aunt, But look at the emotional harm she has caused to you and your Mum by her actions. I wouldn't feel too sorry for her. It may be very hard to get any sort of resolution from the police. It may come down to one person's word against another. Your aunt may say your Nan told her she could have whatever she wanted from the account which would be difficult to disprove. However I still think you are doing the right thing by contacting them. They will probably speak to the bank as well. I hope the funeral goes well and you have lots of fond memories of your Nan that you can think about and smile at while you are saying your final goodbye to her x

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply . I have been reading them all and hopefully I can now respond to you.

We haven't but then we don't want to raise the issue beforehand in case it led to issues ahead of the funeral . That and covering tracks if that is at possible.

We are going tomorrow.

We don't really want to bring it all out in the open ahead of the funeral. As you can probably imagine but we don't want to let it all rest.

It was a nominated person of sorts on the account. So she was going on her behalf to withdraw money. So when there was returns to the bank, bigger withdrawals at events such as holidays etc it's clear to see the pattern.

Luckily so much of my mum's life was traceable from holiday payments to bills. Any accusations thrown her way won't stick.

This will all need to come out eventually to everyone and I have no idea how it will go down on my uncles side of things as they are the old fashioned type of family. Will they turn on is or disown him?

The opposite. She was close to some extent whilst living her own life. Seen her at holidays, had contact and even my uncle I grew up looking up to.

Cheers, horrible that this sort of thing isn't that uncommon in the world.

Cheers. The thing is despite being close, if the tables were turned then I imagine this would be going the same way. They would have been straight down the police station. This is ripping the family apart for sure but even if you cut ties and never spoke to them again, how does that make things better? They get away with it without any come back I guess.

She didn't . It was a sheltered flat of sorts. We need to double check tomorrow if any rent was being paid and how much etc. We plan to pull bills and reciepts she has kept to see to what extent this has been.

She wouldn't want to do anything but I imagine it would break her heart.

To give you an update. We are going the police station tomorrow. The more we talk about it the worse it gets. I mean at some point in time there could have been thousands in that account never mind what was taken since. We need to check the new years eve withdrawal as I'm dreading it's after they knew she was dying that day.

I have to be honest, spending 3 days talking about it made us so sure this was the right thing to do. At the 11th hour it's tearing me apart though. I grew up with them , I looked up to my uncle and modelled myself on him. These people called me son and treated me as one of their own. Yet when all is said and done, the face they see may be my mum's but it's.going to be me holding the knife.

It's the typical head over heart. I know the right thing to do is to go the police and we will do tomorrow . It's not about money, it's about my nan. All the times she had to wait for money, all the times she was left with a tenner in her purse with over a thousand in the bank that had gone in and taken out. But it still tears me apart inside knowing what I'm going to do and how much of a betrayal it will be from a family viewpoint.

My nan wasn't tight. She would give money to anyone who needed it. If I asked for a grand then she would give it to me and forget the debt, not that I ever did. To know she died with essentially not even a penny to her name , I can't let that go.

It just doesn't stop it eating me up inside after tomorrow. To know the next time I see them will be at the funeral knowing what I have done or with them knowing it.

And come Monday it's back to work and I have to pretend that none of this is happening. I have no idea how I will do that but I'm going to have to try.

Hi mate,

For what it’s worth I think you’re doing the right thing.

With regards to the police, I would ask to make an appointment to see a member of the CID, as this is gonna be so complex, time consuming and with a massive paper trail, it needs someone who will be able to spend time on it.

A uniform officer just won’t have the
time and possibly the expertise either to deal with it.

Don’t let them fob you off that it’s “ a civil matter “ as it’s not, it’s theft / fraud, especially all the withdrawals made after your Aunts death - how could she give permission for those withdrawals ???

I have been taking Nytol that you can get over the counter. It seems to work but leaves me dazed the next day! Might be something I have to deal with ‍♀

I have considered that recently yes!! I worked alongside the degree so at least an employment gap won’t show up if I take it off. Feels a bit dishonest but not sure I have much choice!!

I have used nytol myself and yes they do make you feel very groggy the next day. They certainly aren't an ideal solution but I find they can correct your sleep pattern if needed.