Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I think I posted on here last week or something regarding being steered towards getting myself checked out for ADD/ADHD. Tomorrow is the day that I'm going to go and talk to the doctor... I am terrified. As I said last week, if this is indeed the case then it would explain an awful lot but there is a lot of fear there... What if he doesn't take me seriously? What if I really am just lazy and disorganised? What if I do have ADHD? That;s a lifelong path I'll be starting on and, I imagine looking back, will cause me some real trauma and regret.

I called up an old friend this week who had been posting on facebook a lot about her diagnosis and her response was "I thought you knew and just didn't talk about it"... Was overall a very positive experience and kind of reinforced my impression that there is something in this. I am, however, still terrified about what tomorrow will bring.

I think I posted on here last week or something regarding being steered towards getting myself checked out for ADD/ADHD. Tomorrow is the day that I'm going to go and talk to the doctor... I am terrified. As I said last week, if this is indeed the case then it would explain an awful lot but there is a lot of fear there... What if he doesn't take me seriously? What if I really am just lazy and disorganised? What if I do have ADHD? That;s a lifelong path I'll be starting on and, I imagine looking back, will cause me some real trauma and regret.

I called up an old friend this week who had been posting on facebook a lot about her diagnosis and her response was "I thought you knew and just didn't talk about it"... Was overall a very positive experience and kind of reinforced my impression that there is something in this. I am, however, still terrified about what tomorrow will bring.

Good luck with it mate! Just remember whether they say you have it or you don't have it, it doesn't define who you are. If you have it then it might bring you more closure to past decisions you've made and it might even help you going forwards when you're evaluating things. Many people have undiagnosed issues and frankly, if you do, it sounds strange but it's not the worst thing to be diagnosed with.

They will 100% take you seriously as people don't just go in to get checked for the crack with something like that; it's not like you're someone searching for a diagnosis to get out of work etc.

Good luck with it mate! Just remember whether they say you have it or you don't have it, it doesn't define who you are. If you have it then it might bring you more closure to past decisions you've made and it might even help you going forwards when you're evaluating things. Many people have undiagnosed issues and frankly, if you do, it sounds strange but it's not the worst thing to be diagnosed with.

They will 100% take you seriously as people don't just go in to get checked for the crack with something like that; it's not like you're someone searching for a diagnosis to get out of work etc.

Yeah, that;s the part that worries me. Having had 4 months off with stress and depression in the last year and left my job because of it I don't want to seem like someone who's been listening too much to doctor Google. I guess you're right, however, I just want to understand how my brain works and whether there's a better way than staring at my screen for hours doing nothing and then wondering where the day went and being unable to remember the names of people i've met loads of times.

Yeah, that;s the part that worries me. Having had 4 months off with stress and depression in the last year and left my job because of it I don't want to seem like someone who's been listening too much to doctor Google. I guess you're right, however, I just want to understand how my brain works and whether there's a better way than staring at my screen for hours doing nothing and then wondering where the day went and being unable to remember the names of people i've met loads of times.

I think the last one is just living too close to a nuclear plant a while.

If you have a Bible, just read Romans 8 26-27 . Trust in God my dear friend. At my lowest I know the Holy Spirit is with me. God bless
Strange isn't it your in Tesco and say to someone " God talks to me all the time" people view you as paranoid or delusional, say the same thing within a Holy place and people say your in touch with your spirituality. I've always took comfort from my view that I will see lost loved ones again once I pass. If I haven't thought of mam for a while I tell her I'm sorry. In times of mental turmoil you get peace of mind any way you can and lost loved ones I believe watch over us.

As has been said you have nothing to be worried about. The way you behave, think and act do NOT always define who you are. Be yourself m8, ask as man

Be yourself, ask all the questions you need and remember, all your asking them is to clarify things for you. You have nothing to worry about. Your diagnosis DOES NOT define who you are. I have created a link for you disgruntled, I hope it is helpful for you. Good luck and don't worry.

As has been said you have nothing to be worried about. The way you behave, think and act do NOT always define who you are. Be yourself m8, ask as man

Be yourself, ask all the questions you need and remember, all your asking them is to clarify things for you. You have nothing to worry about. Your diagnosis DOES NOT define who you are. I have created a link for you disgruntled, I hope it is helpful for you. Good luck and don't worry.

Thank you very much for that!

I haven't experienced the NHS for 6 years now and I have to say I was super impressed with that pamphlet.

Its heartening that getting an understanding hearing for mental health is no longer determined at random depending on who your GP is.

Not been feeling good. I'm working but the place is ran like an asylum, plus the owner is a bit of freak with his OCD and snooping.

I am desperate for a break of some kind, absolutely stuck in a rut and can't feel good about anything. People have it FAR worse and are deing with real problems I know, but thoughts of self-harm are creeping back in. So fed up my life.

Brethren, one in four of us suffer from depression. It is a simple fact of life. Hopefully your GP is competent and sympathetic. Btw, I know its early, but I often get up during the night for a nice smoke of a pipe! Be good and strong!

I think what some other people have said about not letting it define you is really important. Remember, ultimately a diagnosis is a statistical tool to define populations. It's the same as being categorised as English, an Evertonian, a man etc. Okay, there are many traits you share with others in the group, but that is not at all the essence of who you are. The main purpose of a diagnosis is to encourage someone to sit up and take note that they have an issue that needs work.

The most important job going forward, diagnosis or not, is that if you feel you can't concentrate, lose interest quickly, whatever it happens to be, is that you begin to figure out what that's about. You won't be able to find that in a book.

My experience working with people wondering if they ADHD is that once they get past the label and start speaking about the many different events in their life things begin to change. Often the idea of 'ADHD' fades in to the background and appears again some time later in the form: "well no wonder I can't concentrate if X, Y, Z happened to me!" Or other times in the form "...jesus, I only realised yesterday that I haven't been doing X over the last months. I hardly noticed!"

Best of luck with it today mate! Nothing to fear.

Not been feeling good. I'm working but the place is ran like an asylum, plus the owner is a bit of freak with his OCD and snooping.

I am desperate for a break of some kind, absolutely stuck in a rut and can't feel good about anything. People have it FAR worse and are deing with real problems I know, but thoughts of self-harm are creeping back in. So fed up my life.
EFC I'm sorry to hear your feeling that way. People self harm for a number of reasons but it's predominantly associated with anxiety. Self harm is way of coping but as you know it is a negative way of doing so. Your beating yourself up, hurting yourself however from what you said, I suspect it's your circumstances, and not due to anything you've done. Have you seen your GP, told them your down and very low. Your workplace is causing you stress and that should not be happening. I would speak to your line manager, manager and raise your concerns. Tell them how stressed you are. If that's not possible or they don't listen, go sick. You should not be in an environment that is so pervasive and anxiety provoking. You can't feel good about anything is I suspect due to you being pre occupied with the horrible work conditions. I would find it hard to enjoy myself and relax knowing I have to go back to " that". Exercise is very good for anxiety with an excellent evidence base, have you got someone you can talk to. What have you done in the past to help you relax, apart from self harm. You need m8 to get a modicum of control in your life, this gives you time to think about options, other than self harm. It might be hard for you but the work environment is excasserbating your anxiety and staying there will I think lead to a deterioration in your mental health. Your already thinking about self harm, I'm not judging you but you need to find something more appropriate to deal with your anxieties. Go to see the GP and cut yourself some slack. No stressful situations will help and take stock. You probably can't see the woods for the trees and you need clarity, where you can think of nothing but chilling out. Sorry for this being so lengthy but you have to get our of such an anxiety provoking environment. Once you've done that then other parts of your life will start to fall into place. Take care buddy.

Don’t worry about how other people have it, mate; if you need help and want to vent/chat then get in here and get it done. Diminishing your own problems will just make you judge yourself more harshly on how you’re dealing with them.

Problems at work are difficult ones because it’s never as easy as we’d like getting out and finding something new. I’m gathering from what you’ve said about your boss that he’s not the sort that would take constructive criticism well?

I guess the avenues to explore are either going over his head or maybe getting yourself signed off (depending on how viable option 1 is).

In any event take it easy man, and let us know how it all plays out.

One thing that struck me this year and as it’s gone on, is from personal experience, some would rather remove you from social media than say hello or how’s it going to you, particularly if you haven’t been using your account for a month or two. You could be ill or something happened know what I mean.

I’d understand if it was strangers or if you had been a bit of a bute to them , it’s people I know personally too, I try to make conversation but I barely get a response from them these days. I feel ostracised.

Even my niece and nephew, who I love dearly , no longer speak to me. Usually I try not to let things bother me like that , it really hit home over the past few days tho.

One thing that struck me this year and as it’s gone on, is from personal experience, some would rather remove you from social media than say hello or how’s it going to you, particularly if you haven’t been using your account for a month or two. You could be ill or something happened know what I mean.

I’d understand if it was strangers or if you had been a bit of a bute to them , it’s people I know personally too, I try to make conversation but I barely get a response from them these days. I feel ostracised.

Even my niece and nephew, who I love dearly , no longer speak to me. Usually I try not to let things bother me like that , it really hit home over the past few days tho.
A lot of social media is fake I find. People pretending that life is perfect so I tend to browse but not comment.
It struck me how hurtful it could be yesterday though when I was chatting to my 15 year old daughter. She doesn't have many friends and it really worries her. She recently had a "popular girl " delete her from social media because my daughter is not in the crowd at school.
Another girl from school again a " popular girl" wished her happy birthday so the another day my daughter sent her a birthday message as lots of others had. The "popular girl " opened all the messages wishing her happy birthday but not my daughter's. She has totally ignored my daughter to look cool in front of her friends.
My daughter is now on about trying to change as she is desperate to be accepted and finally enjoy school and have friends.
I wish she would realise that she is a beautiful and intelligent young girl and people should accept her and love her for who she is but it is so hard for a 15 year old with no friends and as her dad it is horrible to see her struggling.