Diagnosis on Poor Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
To sum up, we have very little in the way of quality in our team, bar Arteta, Felliani and pieman. Nothing technical about our approach play.

Main things for me are:

Our only fit striker is a free signing with no Premiership experience.

The transfer window was diabolical for us, as was the one before.

We still have no attacking tactics in open play.

We still have a [Poor language removed] mentality.

To sum up, we have very little in the way of quality in our team, bar Arteta, Felliani and pieman. Nothing technical about our approach play.

Disagree. Baines, Jagielka, Heitinga and Bilyaletdinov are all CL quality players.

Maybe mate. But he's not had much professional football. Tony Hibbert was a striker for England school boys...

I can only fathom Coleman is being held back because of defensive concerns - he's looked pretty fantastic on every outing going forward - maybe he can be developed into a right winger?

Who knows. It's all out of desperation to address that right hand side. It really does squeeze the optimism out of me every time I see it announced.

You're kidding?

Right?

Good point.

You get a system that fits your players rather than plugging your players into a system.

I guarantee (as would Ghost) that Billy would be playing more if Moyes had a system that would accomodate a player of his skill and ability.

Yesterday he woulda been perfect for Barton . Who , amazingly appeared to able to both Arteta's shadow , yet run the fukn game like Bally when they had the ball .

Bad day .

Poor selection .
Top players playing intermittently / not at all .
Poor selection .
Beckford is patently NOT READY for a 4-5-1 . Least , not in this League .
Poor selection .
Injuries .
Poor selection .
Better players absconding responsibility and passing the ball consistently to Jags / Distin KNOWING that their only option is to launch it .
Poor selection .
Failure to make the most of opportunities .

Did I mention , poor selection ,..???

No, I don't think so. What I don't get - i mean especially, apart from all the other stuff - is how after swapping Arteta and Felliani around last week against Man Utd he can revert to Felliani AM and Arteta DM? Wtf, does he have a short term memory loss problem or something? Is he the guy from Memento, and he can't remember these things without inking himself? Maybe thats why Coleman can't get a start either???

Maybe mate. But he's not had much professional football. Tony Hibbert was a striker for England school boys...
I can only fathom Coleman is being held back because of defensive concerns - he's looked pretty fantastic on every outing going forward - maybe he can be developed into a right winger?

Who knows. It's all out of desperation to address that right hand side. It really does squeeze the optimism out of me every time I see it announced.

Put Hibbo up front this weekend! Can't do any worse, crowd would riot.

We have the quality through the team to be able to at least beat lesser teams, even if we are light in a couple of areas. Even with Osman acting as a winger and an unfit strikeforce we should still have the class to beat lower teams!
To be honest something smells, I don't sense a happy team at the moment...Aston Villa/MoN anyone?

Moyes hasn't changed. He is the same manager doing the same things he has always done.

Sure, we've probably all moaned about him for it, mostly the same things mentioned here.

Yet the team managed to achieve top 6 finishes regularly.

So why are we now facing our worst start for god knows how long?

Is it because teams have figured out how to neutralise us and Moyes doesn't know how to do anything different to what has worked before?

There is no plan B. On Sat our only tactic seemed to be cross the ball into the box whenever you get a chance no matter what part of the pitch you were in. Pathetic.

Our movement is crap as well. Crapbags like Barton and Nolan managed to play rings around our midfield at times. And with the players we have we should be able to do the same.

I'd love to see a training session of ours and see what the players actually work on week in week out. Sure sometimes we do play brilliant football but those times do seem pretty rare.

Moyes has been brilliant for us for turning a team facing relegation into European challengers with little money, building a hard working hard to beat sometimes pleasing team.

Yet now he seems to be holding us back because we need different qualities from the team. We need someone with the tactical skills to get the best out of the players he has bought and to make games change in our favour if things aren't working.

He still seems stuck in the mindset of work hard, keep it tight and try to nick a goal for the win.

He deserves time to see if he can turn things around like he has in the past. But something doesn't seem right and its worrying. Its no good every week being the week we turn things around yet come away with a dissapointing result again.

Do the players feel the same way about his decisions as we do?

Moyes hasn't changed. He is the same manager doing the same things he has always done.

Sure, we've probably all moaned about him for it, mostly the same things mentioned here.

Yet the team managed to achieve top 6 finishes regularly.

So why are we now facing our worst start for god knows how long?

Is it because teams have figured out how to neutralise us and Moyes doesn't know how to do anything different to what has worked before?

There is no plan B. On Sat our only tactic seemed to be cross the ball into the box whenever you get a chance no matter what part of the pitch you were in. Pathetic.

Our movement is crap as well. Crapbags like Barton and Nolan managed to play rings around our midfield at times. And with the players we have we should be able to do the same.

I'd love to see a training session of ours and see what the players actually work on week in week out. Sure sometimes we do play brilliant football but those times do seem pretty rare.

Moyes has been brilliant for us for turning a team facing relegation into European challengers with little money, building a hard working hard to beat sometimes pleasing team.

Yet now he seems to be holding us back because we need different qualities from the team. We need someone with the tactical skills to get the best out of the players he has bought and to make games change in our favour if things aren't working.

He still seems stuck in the mindset of work hard, keep it tight and try to nick a goal for the win.

He deserves time to see if he can turn things around like he has in the past. But something doesn't seem right and its worrying. Its no good every week being the week we turn things around yet come away with a dissapointing result again.

Do the players feel the same way about his decisions as we do?
Could not agree more. I would give him 5 games to turn it around - otherwise thank you Moyes for your sterling service, you were just what we needed at the time, but we have move on and you have not.

I'm not one for saying "Moyes out", but i do agree the tactic right now does not fit our new qualities. The squad has changed. It is the best for a long while. It's like we're backlogged two seasons - back when we had baines & nuts on the left, Moyes made that a weapon. Cahill has always been our spearhead. Felli was, last season, our new spine. He's a tactical genius, don't forget, he knows how to work those limited resources.

It seems like we have too much quality right now, no clear direction. I think we've gotten mixed up in these various sytems. We can remove the cahill weapon and go for something new. We suddenly have talent on the right. We have speed up front - why the hell are we not playing fookn through balls, long shots? Billy and Tets playing in the hole are perfect for that. Cahill on the other hand, can't play an intelligent pass just like a poodle can't fock a great dane. It seems we're trying to fit Beckford into some kind of new tactic, but that man wasn't getting service! The weekend's game made the orders for Becky very clear: Hold the ball up, bring into play. Notice how many times he did that? Nobody came along to help him out though, and he obviously lacked the skill for holding like anyone with more class. Note how the Yak did much better with the same task. There are so many options and so little clear applications. We are not a wide team, we are experts at making room in attacking moves in small areas. We don't shift sides from left to right, we try to work into the corner and cross, things easily get congested and once our opponents find out they just have to tighten the noose, get close and close down, we're choking. We're not opening up play because our system is built for closed play. We have players who definetly can open things up, and it's about time we made it happen.

I for one have a lot of confidence in Billy. The way he's treated tells me his confidence in himself is shot. He is not a winger, he is a feeder/playmaker, strictly he appears to me to look a lot more like a russian Arteta. Give him the oppurtunity to play central mid in a narrow 4-1-3-2. The three in the mid there being Billy/Nuts/Tets. Felli in the DM. Cahill on the bench. And for ****'s sake, would it kill us to establish a STRIKER PARTNERSHIP?

I'm just ranting really, but our system is stale. I desperately want to see something different against Brentford. Notice how we kill crappy sides? We did that all preseason. We're playing like a team that would dominate the Championship and suck in the Premiership. Like Newcastle have been doing recently.

Lots of very sound well thought out theories and solutions being put forth on here. I'm just worried that Moyes, for all his 'guile' and plaudits from the media for achieving constant top six finishes on a limited budget and thread bare squad, hasn't made him a granite minded man who won't budge for no one.Sadly, he hasn't learnt any lessons from last season and unless he takes his Cappello like head out of his arse and starts to manoeuvre the squad in the right direction by using players in their correct position, this is going to be a Long Winter of Our Discontent ( again) .

During the pre-season, he used Marvin (Guaye) and played with two up top, we did well, yes it was against weaker opposition, but at least he experimented and the squad felt good,fresh and almost balanced. We all felt good !

But, since the Blackburn game - we've slipped back into mediocrity and the stubborn 4-5-1 . I'm no master tactician, but even I know when a team's unbalanced and lacking real leadership. On certain match days last season, even in the U.B, you could hear Neville's girl like shrill, as he screamed and clapped his hands in encouragement to his players around him. Carragher does the same for 'them' - constantly, they might not listen, but at least he's trying to take control. I've never once heard £75 Grand look remotely like a captain this season. And I'd be kidding myself if the players can understand an irate Glaswegian screaming at them for 90 minutes! But, a little leadership would be nice.

Bring back L.D :(

I reckon Moyes sits at home each night stroking his 3 LMA manager of the year awards while looking at pics of Hibbert, Neville, Cahill and Osman.

While Roundy sits in the corner shouting "yeah stroke it boss, you're so dreamy".

At which point they're both too tired to figure out any new tactics.

I think most people are broadly of the same opinion. The frustrating thing is that Moyes fails to see it. I was concerned to read this morning that the gaffer is talking of going back to basics. We all know that that means sitting deep, being hard to score against and hoping to nick a goal from a set piece.

Personally, I don't feel that Heitinga deserves a place in the starting line up at the moment. Distin is error-prone certainly, but he covers well. I don't think that Johnny's head is in the game just now. He was hardly a rock in the Carling Cup. I would give him a spell on the sidelines to regain his focus.

Arteta hasn't been the player that we know so far this season. Perhaps the midfield is too congested for him to properly express himself? It might be worth considering swicthing him back out to the right for a while so that we atleast have his delivery into the box.

Moyes's substitutions have been baffling. Why swap like for like at right back? Why replace one striker with another when the problem isn't the forward but the lack of service?

I think Neville needs to come in as a matter of urgency to offer leadership and to protect the back four. Coleman down the right hand side of midfield is definitely one option to offer us width. We should be trying Gueye on the left too. Whilst I think that Bily would contribute far less than Cahill in the hole, there's nothing to lose by experimenting with him in that position.

Either way, Moyes needs to move forwards rather than backwards.

Its funny everybody gets on Neville's back for being [Poor language removed], then he gets injured, we go to [Poor language removed] and everybody prays that he comes back. Same thing happened last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.