Derbies in the nineties, noughties and now

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGW89

Player Valuation: £35m
As you have probably guessed, I am far too much of a football geek for my own good.

Yesterday I took the liberty of looking at our head to head against the dark side and was shocked to learn that if Liverpool win three more Goodison derbies without reply they will better OUR OWN record against them at Goodison!

These days the derby, while a obviously very important match to me, is no longer the season-defining cup final I once saw it as. However, I think it would be a disgrace if the reds were to ever overtake our home record against them.

On the 23rd February 1998, we played a derby at Anfield in front of the Sky cameras and the whole world expected them to tear us a new poophole. At the start of the match, the commentator states quite clearly that Liverpool are "only 3 wins ahead". The 1-1 draw which ensued stretched our unbeaten run against them to eight games.

Of course in that season we survived on goal difference, with possibly the worst, most lethargic squad ever to stink out our great club in the last century - yet we still managed to take four points of the reds that season. This was however, the pivot point for a complete reversal of fortune in the coming years.

Aside from a small oasis in 1995/96, the 90s were a period of decline and despair. As far as derbies are concerned though, the 90s conjures glorious images of triumph against all odds - Beagrie slotting home at the old park end, Mark Ward's thunderous drive leading Grobelaar to altercate with McManaman, Ferguson rising head and shoulders above the defence to head home in Royle's first match, Kanchelskis' double strike at the Kop End, Cadamarteri's jink and shot past Kwame and James and Campbell's decisive strike 14 years ago for our most recent Anfield triumph....

Throughout the 00s, largely a Moyes-led "renaissance", Liverpool subjected us to near constant pain and humiliation. While we were unlucky on some occasions, we simply didn't turn up for others like we used to and the emergence of Steven Gerrard also seems to have heralded such a change in derby day fortunes.

This brings us to the 10s and our Goodison record stands at 1 win 1 loss and 1 draw. While our loss in October 2011 was hugely unfortunate, there can be no doubt that we were the better side in the other two games. Even in general, with the exception of March 2012, our games with them this decade have been a tale of two evenly matched sides.

So ultimately my question is, why can we not seem to get our 90s derby day mojo back? What, in your opinion, heralded the change and has seen red dominance since? Stevie G? Weak refs? Respective financial resources? DAVID MOYES!??

I just made the point in another thread that our players seem to freeze in these games, especially at Anfield. It's almost like the pressure becomes too much and they forget how to play football.

Then there's also the fact Liverpool have had a better a team than us for most of the last decade, and that always helps when you're trying to win football matches.

I just made the point in another thread that our players seem to freeze in these games, especially at Anfield. It's almost like the pressure becomes too much and they forget how to play football.

Then there's also the fact Liverpool have had a better a team than us for most of the last decade, and that always helps when you're trying to win football matches.

But they were MILES better than us in the 90s and we always turned them over! And don't tell me there was less pressure back then, a lot of the time we had to win simply for our survival.

But they were MILES better than us in the 90s and we always turned them over! And don't tell me there was less pressure back then, a lot of the time we had to win simply for our survival.

Absolutely, sometimes it just happens that way, but I think if you look at their team back then it wasn't exactly built to deal with the dogs of war approach we adopted to those games. Whereas for the past decade they've had the spine of a team that can cope with the intensity of a derby match.

And don't get me wrong we've put in some tragic displays at Anfield, the 3-0 Gerrard hatrick being the most criminal of the lot. But if I'm going to be pragmatic I'd say the overall reason for us struggling is simply down to them having better players. Wins at Anfield have always been few and far between, even during the 90s it was hardly a regular thing.

Moyes.
Its not ridiculous to claim its largely down to him when u look at his record vs all 'big' teams during his time with us.
Sometimes we showed what we could do and recorded memorable victories but those were rare.
Big fan of his, even still, though I couldn't be happier with Martinez. But no use in ignoring that this was a massive negative of his during his time with us. Hoping for greater success now with Roberto.

Two things for me.

1. Moyes - Not to beat a dead horse, but simply put the man doesn't understand the meaning of a local derby, the 4-1 reverse at the Etihad this season being a perfect example. Worst derby record for an Everton manager isn't it? Certainly over a prolonged period of time.

2. Gerrard - The lad ups his game for this fixture, no doubt. Him and Carragher certainly seem(ed) to drill in the meaning of a derby much more than any of our lot can do. They're both c*ntier than usual in this game too, which takes some doing, but it works. Not that they were ever at a similar level, but can you see Osman and Hibbert doing what they do in a derby? Neither can I.

[video=youtube;bm6i70m4-Oo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm6i70m4-Oo[/video]

Johnsons one were he makes Reina look like a blert is one of my all time favourates.

Status
Not open for further replies.