Confirmed Signing Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
As unglamorous they may be, I think these as a replacement to Bernard at a fraction of the wage price could be shrewd. They’re risk free and offer depth. I am happy with this if we shift the deadwood and show a little more ambition (or scouting) in other areas like RW and RB (probably Denzel?).
Will wait and see before I judge this one, it’ll either be shrewd in wider context or embarrassing if this the level we’re looking at exclusively

Risk free like Delph and Sandro?

Demarai Gray was given so many chances with us and failed to take every single one of them, it’s quite surprising he lasted as long as he did at Leicester.

The type of player who turns up in about 1 in 20 games, that’s not an exaggeration either.

It seems to me that Rafael is just replacing garbage with garbage.

Utd fans probably said this to WHU fans about Jesse Lingard in fairness as I deffo seen it written on here.

Pienaar was class at us but awful when he moved to Spurs.

Salah was bang average at Chelsea now world class at Liverpool.

I wouldnt judge a youngish player based solely on what he did at one club.

At £1.5 million its a decent squad option considering he'll be on half the wages maybe less than Benard who barely plays a game and will be off this summer for a few million profit.

The amount of times it’s been said on here that the drop off in quality in our team, when we get injuries, is shocking. If these are to be squad players, and realistically they will be more than that, then I fail to see how we have improved that situation.

The pairs combined wages will probably be the same as what Benards on alone who barely features.

From a squad perspective it makes sense as Benard will be off in the coming weeks.

The problem is Iwobi can not be a starting 11 player he needs punting and a Bailey/Zaha type coming in.
Who’s interested in signing Bernard ??

This was inevitable with the years of overspending we've had. I don't rate either very highly, but in a way I'm happy that we're not splurging money again. Fairly decent squad players.

What's more concerning is that neither is the big upgrade that we need for such a key position and it suggests that we won't bring in an exciting winger.

Fundamentally these two are okay (sound financially even) IF:

we shed 4 or 5 of the deadwood AND we sign a quality attacking player.

If we look back in a month and Tosun, Bernard, Iwobi, Gomes and a couple of others and their high wages are gone then it could be okay.

Dumfries, a new quality attacker, Kean, Gbamin, Townsend and Gray could actually result in a better quality match day squad than we had last season…

Dumfries is better than Coleman (though Seamus is a fine reserve)
Begovic / Olsen is a push
Gbamin is better than Gomes I hope
a new quality attacker would be nice
Gray would be better than having a second keeper in the match day squad
Kean is better than Josh King

Status
Not open for further replies.