2023/24 Dele

Forget the Everton angle for a while.

What would you say constitutes a successful comeback for Dele

20 top flight games (in a major league) over a full season?

5 goals? 10 goals?

An international recall?

I only ask because so many are utterly convinced he's completely finished as a top level player. What would the naysayers who say such a thing make them admit they're clueless. (one presumes a single substitute appearance would be enough as he's 'done.')
I'm convinced. Maybe he'll make it off the bench at best.. I'm more than happy to be wrong and obviously I don't know the details of his situation but I'd be shocked, pleasantly so, if he came back and scored 5 goals.

All the whispers and evidence I've seen since he left spurs points to him not having a future here at all.

I wonder, like most things in life, if the truth of Mr Ali's predicament lies somewhere in inbetween what he has told us and the opinions of some of the individuals on this thread.

What we know is that he was once a coveted footballer many moons ago but for some time now has underperformed dramatically.

We now have his explanation for why this may have occurred. I believe him wholeheartedly and I have to admit I teared up a little during his interview.

However, part of me thinks he has chosen to become public to win himself some more time at the top level. He has successfully gained our sympathy after suffering a considerable amount of fan vitriol. We now live in a time when mental health is taken a lot more seriously by organisations and the general public alike.

Everton now has a duty of care as it would not look good for the club to treat him inappropriately.

From a public relations perspective, it wouldn't surprise me if he had been advised to do the interview in an effort to try and force the hand of Everton in an attempt to extend his career.

Does he believe he can contribute on the pitch anymore? I don't know, but I hope so. That's the thing though, isn't it? He has created a narrative for himself where we have given him time to make some sort of comeback.

He has suffered appalingly as a child and I wish he had sought help earlier in his career. I don't judge him for his behaviour off the pitch or his astonishing earnings for such a small workplace contribution. I only wish him good health.

It would be a beautiful story if he indeed managed to rekindle his desire and get back to playing again. Most Evertonians would savor it as there isn't much else these days to hang onto! I would absolutely love it but I remain skeptical.

Whatever the outcome I wish him the best.
I don't get this. He has a contract until next summer. Nothing changes based on the interview. That interview didn't get him a new one. It didn't stop his current one being cancelled.
Only performances on a pitch (ours or other) can win himself more time at the top level.

What harm is there in playing him for six games to see how it goes?

….lots.

Plays ok for 6 games, we pay £10m (he gets his 10%) and then he throws the towel in again. I wouldn’t trust him, let somebody else take the risk although I suspect we’re the only club on the planet to even consider it.

I wonder, like most things in life, if the truth of Mr Ali's predicament lies somewhere in inbetween what he has told us and the opinions of some of the individuals on this thread.

What we know is that he was once a coveted footballer many moons ago but for some time now has underperformed dramatically.

We now have his explanation for why this may have occurred. I believe him wholeheartedly and I have to admit I teared up a little during his interview.

However, part of me thinks he has chosen to become public to win himself some more time at the top level. He has successfully gained our sympathy after suffering a considerable amount of fan vitriol. We now live in a time when mental health is taken a lot more seriously by organisations and the general public alike.

Everton now has a duty of care as it would not look good for the club to treat him inappropriately.

From a public relations perspective, it wouldn't surprise me if he had been advised to do the interview in an effort to try and force the hand of Everton in an attempt to extend his career.

Does he believe he can contribute on the pitch anymore? I don't know, but I hope so. That's the thing though, isn't it? He has created a narrative for himself where we have given him time to make some sort of comeback.

He has suffered appalingly as a child and I wish he had sought help earlier in his career. I don't judge him for his behaviour off the pitch or his astonishing earnings for such a small workplace contribution. I only wish him good health.

It would be a beautiful story if he indeed managed to rekindle his desire and get back to playing again. Most Evertonians would savor it as there isn't much else these days to hang onto! I would absolutely love it but I remain skeptical.

Whatever the outcome I wish him the best.
So you believe him wholeheartedly but have caveated that by saying that his issue lies somewhere between what he has said, and what a load of fans on an online forum have suggested which are intertwined with baseless rumours and accusations despite not knowing him or being part of any of it.

Suggesting he is using trauma as a way to get more money/extend his career/ whatever you want to suggest, totally diminishes the supposed belief you have.

Getting our sympathy does not extend his career in the slightest or get him more money. We had a duty of care regardless and we were paying him regardless.

….lots.

Plays ok for 6 games, we pay £10m (he gets his 10%) and then he throws the towel in again. I wouldn’t trust him, let somebody else take the risk although I suspect we’re the only club on the planet to even consider it.

Well then what’s wrong with 6 games? If he did well we may attract buyer in Jan.

You wanted to sell him, isn’t this the best scenario?

But did they… ?
WTF is your point. ?

The point I'm making is that having a lot of money doesn't automatically make your life a better one. Dele may be filthy rich but that doesn't mean it makes the trauma he suffered in his early life go away, or even make it easier to cope with. It could actually make it harder. Sorry if that doesn't fit with your agenda.

….lots.

The risk isn’t playing him for 6 games.
The risk is in forking out more money for more than 6 games.

People honestly believe if he couldn't regain even a modicum of his past skill he wouldn't be a vastly superior option to doucoure as attacking midfielder, as dele can actually control a ball and place basic passes unlinked Doucoure who serves a purpose but is a lot better off the ball and played further back

Judging by comments in Interviews I don’t think Dyche wants to play him, exactly the same as Branthwaite before mistakes forced his hand.
Therefore if Dele actually gets a game it will be because he has shown in training that he still has something left to offer.
Our midfield is shocking so not a particular hard place to force yourself in, but I don’t see how he fits in a Dyche system.