Zonal or Man-To-Man

• Zonal

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • Man-To-Man

Votes: 236 86.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have two aerially dominant CB’s getting clowned on set pieces. That speaks volumes.

Better teams often get away with it, but they also have better players overall and much better organization.

Not to mention the confidence you give the opposition when they have space as well.

Silva/Brands opted to sign Mina for £27m.

You'd think then he'd be *right* for the system they want to play.

Watch Millwall's first goal. Gregory is celebrating his header while Yerry Mina is outside the 18 yard box;

View attachment 53535

Staggering. What's Mina doing there?

They've signed a complete dud/moron or his instruction has let him down.

Highlights below. It's a horror show.

At this point, Brands is as culpable as Silva.

Wasn't it Mina who didn't win the first ball - the ball that went to Gregory? Not only did he not win it, but his challenge wasn't sufficient to prevent the Millwall player directing the ball exactly where he wanted. There's so much wrong with our defending.

Not to mention the confidence you give the opposition when they have space as well.

Silva/Brands opted to sign Mina for £27m.

You'd think then he'd be *right* for the system they want to play.

Watch Millwall's first goal. Gregory is celebrating his header while Yerry Mina is outside the 18 yard box;

View attachment 53535

Staggering. What's Mina doing there?

They've signed a complete dud/moron or his instruction has let him down.

Highlights below. It's a horror show.

At this point, Brands is as culpable as Silva.

Unfair to pick out Mina.
We defend set pcs poorly with or without him. Biggest culprit is the person who set this silly zonal defence with amateur instructions.

Not advocating zonal marking but technically we've been doing it for years. Lukaku, Cahill, Saha, Fellaini use to be decent at it. (marking the front post/attacking the ball)

They were often used as the man in space at the front Post to win that first ball/cross from a corner. We have some tall decent attackers of the ball you'd think one of them would be instructed to win that first ball. Not seeing this at all.

The others should be man on man with possibly one on a post. Always thought a mix of Zonal/man marking works best.

We seemed to get better at defending them then worse again how does that work? Now we are at a total nadir. The players don't seem to want to avoid free kicks, win first balls or clear up second balls. They have to be practising this every day. Surely to goodness they could get a Stubbs or Weir type in just to coach set pieces, the RS have a throw in coach!!

Unfair to pick out Mina.
We defend set pcs poorly with or without him. Biggest culprit is the person who set this silly zonal defence with amateur instructions.

Hence why I started this thread on 25th August...

Wasn't it Mina who didn't win the first ball - the ball that went to Gregory? Not only did he not win it, but his challenge wasn't sufficient to prevent the Millwall player directing the ball exactly where he wanted. There's so much wrong with our defending.

As I said, He's marking space originally. Cross comes in to the man who isn't in a 'zone' to be marked, he attempts to challenge the man when he was always now going to be hamstrung.

Mina is caught in two minds. He's following instruction/zonal originally, then opts to challenge but 2nd best by that point because his focus is never the man.

There was the argument we need to allow time for players to adjust to a change in style, but even the players we're signing for that system look clueless in it.

No excuse for that but he had just got a foot injury may have been affecting hm could be why he came off not soon afterwards. Still the main point is none of them are dominant or spot danger.

I’ve always been of the opinion that systems are just detail. What matters is the quality / attitude / belief of the players.

We could talk zonal vs man marking, 4-4-2 v 4-3-3 v 3-5-1-1, 10s v false nines or playing in the hole, oooer matron...

At the end of the day if you’ve got 11 players on the pitch with great touch who are switched on, OR have great belief/attitude/team spirit, they will make any system work.

Defending set pieces requires aggression, desire & ruthless winning attitude. I don’t see that in this squad. As I’ve said on other threads, I think the yellow streak starts in the boardroom & runs through the club.

Not advocating zonal marking but technically we've been doing it for years. Lukaku, Cahill, Saha, Fellaini use to be decent at it. (marking the front post/attacking the ball)

They were often used as the man in space at the front Post to win that first ball/cross from a corner. We have some tall decent attackers of the ball you'd think one of them would be instructed to win that first ball. Not seeing this at all.

The others should be man on man with possibly one on a post. Always thought a mix of Zonal/man marking works best.

Exactly. We don’t pick out runners at setpcs anymore. All we’re doing is deploy players at a fix location without moving or tracking and expect each and everyone of them to defend his respective zone. A running leap is far superior compare to a standing leap and it’s no surprise we keep giving free header game after game.

He has effectively called out Mina in his echo interview. Along the lines of "for the first goal, I put my tallest defender on their target for the diagonal but he lost the header".

I must say, Zouma and Mina have both been dreadful aerially. The players literally look clueless. I can't actually believe they are bottling it and just don't fancy it. There's got to be more.

Every system including man to man has a player whose job is to defend the near post and attack the ball.

If I was a centre forward playing against zonal I would go and plonk myself next to the smallest player in that area. I get what Silva is saying the players are not aggressive enough and we don’t attack the ball. Another problem we have is 6’2” centre mid who don’t even try to win an Ariel ball l in the box. Get the lad up field he is a liability. You only want your brave strong characters in the box from set peices not prima donnas.

Status
Not open for further replies.