David Unsworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
….he’s been in charge of U23s for years, when was the last time we got to the latter stages of the FA Youth Cup at U18 level?

It’s an indicator the club are not recruiting top talent & there might be a number of reasons for this. Unsworth gets the stick because players are rarely coming through from U23s but the basic reason is because they aren’t good enough. It would be a valid excuse if our youth teams are successful in younger age groups.
It would explain why our best talent at that level are either leaving the club first chance they get for better academies (smalls) or why the young players we sign from other clubs tend to waste away until released at a much older age than you would expect. That is if the set up isn't up to scratch.

Just saying none of our young players are good enough isn't really true if none ever have a pathway into the team. Harry kane is a prime example of this, loaned out and not given a chance , not really a player to look out for until he was thrown in at the deep end and was first choice by the end of that season.

Realistically we should be developing one player every 3 years. That is what better academies do. 3 years to determine whether a young lad has what it takes to step up or not. To my memory , I don't think we have ever promoted a player after a loan spell away.

It would explain why our best talent at that level are either leaving the club first chance they get for better academies (smalls) or why the young players we sign from other clubs tend to waste away until released at a much older age than you would expect. That is if the set up isn't up to scratch.

Just saying none of our young players are good enough isn't really true if none ever have a pathway into the team. Harry kane is a prime example of this, loaned out and not given a chance , not really a player to look out for until he was thrown in at the deep end and was first choice by the end of that season.

Realistically we should be developing one player every 3 years. That is what better academies do. 3 years to determine whether a young lad has what it takes to step up or not. To my memory , I don't think we have ever promoted a player after a loan spell away.

…don’t get all this pathway stuff, they can have as many pathways as they want but still have to be good enough to come through. Lewis Gibson signed a new contract with a ‘pathway’, bottom line is he’s not forced his way in because he’s not good enough.

it’s like every U23 should be given games in the PL to see if they’re up to it. The truth is, if there’s a real talent there the Manager will want to utilise it and not leave it in U23s. If players aren’t coming through it’s because they aren’t there.

I’ve been watching since the early 60s, I’ve stood on the touchline watching literally many hundreds of Everton youth games & there’s not many young professionals who are released to play top flight for another club. The truly top Academy players are few and far between, now and then you get a crop.

The FA Youth Cup is an indicator of talent & we haven’t reached the latter stages for many years.

Guarentee he gets extra helpings from the dinner ladies there! Because he's such a lovely guy!

I mean, how do you work in such an athletic, physical enviroment, with all that equipment and healthy food at your disposal and end up like this

aa1.jpg
Jabba the Hutt

Not sure what Unsworth brings to the table to be honest.

Rooney was the last big homebred breakthrough. DCL was bought from Sheffield Utd.

We were in a worse position when he bought the club both financially and structurally.

None of it has been "good" Johnson and Moshiri (so far) have been worse though.

Stating the truth and being even minded is not making excuses.

Was you even born when Johnson was in charge? (I may be getting you mixed up with someone else there).
“We were in a worse position when he bought the club both financially and structurally “ And you call that the truth?

You are definitely getting me mixed up with someone else, maybe my grandson, I was born before Johnson and the man you make excuses for.

…don’t get all this pathway stuff, they can have as many pathways as they want but still have to be good enough to come through. Lewis Gibson signed a new contract with a ‘pathway’, bottom line is he’s not forced his way in because he’s not good enough.

it’s like every U23 should be given games in the PL to see if they’re up to it. The truth is, if there’s a real talent there the Manager will want to utilise it and not leave it in U23s. If players aren’t coming through it’s because they aren’t there.

I’ve been watching since the early 60s, I’ve stood on the touchline watching literally many hundreds of Everton youth games & there’s not many young professionals who are released to play top flight for another club. The truly top Academy players are few and far between, now and then you get a crop.

The FA Youth Cup is an indicator of talent & we haven’t reached the latter stages for many years.
I don't agree with the thought if there is talent then the manager will play them part. We've employed 2 managers back to back who don't trust youth. Ancelotti was awful for this when the game was calling for stone pace and crosses in to the box he would leave options on the bench. Benitez made 1 sub in a game we lost instead of bringing on any youth option that we greatly needed an injection of pace in.

I don't agree with the thought if there is talent then the manager will play them part. We've employed 2 managers back to back who don't trust youth. Ancelotti was awful for this when the game was calling for stone pace and crosses in to the box he would leave options on the bench. Benitez made 1 sub in a game we lost instead of bringing on any youth option that we greatly needed an injection of pace in.

…it’s a fair point re leaving Rondon on at Brentford but we are talking about Benitez & his ego.

Not sure what Unsworth brings to the table to be honest.

Rooney was the last big homebred breakthrough. DCL was bought from Sheffield Utd.
The freak that Rooney was, has been to the detriment of every young player since.
Every young player that comes through is always harshly judged at this club, and never given the time to actually develop.
Simms hit 16/17 and people were saying start him.

Status
Not open for further replies.