David Unsworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what you job is but some people are happy with the lot, and don’t want to run the business.
Some are happy in middle management.
Not necessarily a bad thing
Of course, and superficially you make a good point.

Except Unsworths job is somewhat different to a more typical role in the "real" world, as we both know. Unsworth has one of a very limited number of jobs that command that title, an exclusivity dictated entirely by the nature of the football pyramid itself rather than any external market forces. And those jobs are seen as a stepping stone, or an apprenticeship of sorts you serve before taking the next step along.

Some middle management roles are ends in themselves, and others are actually potential stepping stones to greater things. Once a fair determination has been made there is little sense keeping someone content with middle management in a stepping stone type role. They should be moved to another part of the business - assuming there is one - to utilize the skill set you've determined they have. This, obviously, then frees up their old role for someone else to step into it, and determine if perhaps they can move onto bigger things by succeeding within it.

Your analogy of middle management is almost a good one, as I've pointed out. But Unsworths situation is more akin to a student being in the seventh year of his three year course isn't it?

Move him aside, or move him out, but don't just ignore the opportunity cost of keeping middle management material content.

Have to agree what most are saying, he has had more than enough opportunities to push the kids on to no avail.

I would give Duncan the opportunity to manage them with a view to future management.

Of course, and superficially you make a good point.

Except Unsworths job is somewhat different to a more typical role in the "real" world, as we both know. Unsworth has one of a very limited number of jobs that command that title, an exclusivity dictated entirely by the nature of the football pyramid itself rather than any external market forces. And those jobs are seen as a stepping stone, or an apprenticeship of sorts you serve before taking the next step along.

Some middle management roles are ends in themselves, and others are actually potential stepping stones to greater things. Once a fair determination has been made there is little sense keeping someone content with middle management in a stepping stone type role. They should be moved to another part of the business - assuming there is one - to utilize the skill set you've determined they have. This, obviously, then frees up their old role for someone else to step into it, and determine if perhaps they can move onto bigger things by succeeding within it.

Your analogy of middle management is almost a good one, as I've pointed out. But Unsworths situation is more akin to a student being in the seventh year of his three year course isn't it?

Move him aside, or move him out, but don't just ignore the opportunity cost of keeping middle management material content.
I disagree - sure you would like someone who is doing a good job and happy rather than someone who is constantly looking for the next move. Stability in the u23 is important for player development.
Whether unsworth is doing a decent job is another thing entirely

He had a chance as caretaker manager and looked like a rabbit in headlights, in fact we might as well have stuck Boys Pen Bill in the dugout. Now he has a new fancy title. We may not care too much for Mr. Barton but I think the FAT PE Teacher taunt actually sits well. He epitomises the slack, underachieving boys club created by Kenwright and our backsliding long rooted culture. Unsworth should be on the Moshri list. The owner now needs to decide who he and we need at the club or keep this going and its the Championship and possibly worse.
He's littered our youth academy with garbage ex players.

Also for a coach to be in the physical shape he's in while coaching young adults and surrounded by world class facilities makes you wonder if he leaves the canteen at Finch farm.

He had a chance as caretaker manager and looked like a rabbit in headlights, in fact we might as well have stuck Boys Pen Bill in the dugout. Now he has a new fancy title. We may not care too much for Mr. Barton but I think the FAT PE Teacher taunt actually sits well. He epitomises the slack, underachieving boys club created by Kenwright and our backsliding long rooted culture. Unsworth should be on the Moshri list. The owner now needs to decide who he and we need at the club or keep this going and its the Championship and possibly worse.
We have hired the best people to build the ground, let's do the same with the football side .

Before Jeffers (I know he’s left), Jevons, Ferguson and whatever, Unsworth should be the first one gone.

Whoever is monitoring him too, needs to be turfed out too.

In Unsworth’s 9 years in charge we’ve..

• Spent £15m on players, of which none have made the first team (Markelo, Adeniran, Gibson, Bowler to name a few).
  • Not adapted tactics to that of the first team for that easier transition, it’s been 9 years.
  • In that time those tactics he did adopt were one dimensional, rigid and bully tactics, garbage.
  • 1 youth prospect established themselves (Tom Davies) in that time, and he’s not very good. Gordon is on the fringes and I expect will make it as 2. But neither have said to me “Guantanteed starter”, harsh on Gordon, but that’s why he’s not established yet.

Oh yeah, but he’s close with the board and especially DBB, so he’s got a job for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.