Darron Gibson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any one told Felli hes a def mid? someone needs to mention that when hes making giant leaps into the enemy territory.

Defensive midfielders don't need to stay in their own half all the time. The top tier ones have more to their game, like Fellaini.

But if you're trying to tell me that Fellaini's most important work isn't done in front of his back four then I'm going to tell you that you don't know what the flip you're talking about.

He is a defensive midfielder. That is not subjective. It is a fact.

He doesn't drift as much as Rodwell and is more willing to ask for the ball, which gives Fellaini more room and a better sense of where he needs to be. There are obviously a thousand variables, but I think the fact we haven't lost a game he's played in is quite telling.

Defensive midfielders don't need to stay in their own half all the time. The top tier ones have more to their game, like Fellaini.But if you're trying to tell me that Fellaini's most important work isn't done in front of his back four then I'm going to tell you that you don't know what the flip you're talking about.He is a defensive midfielder. That is not subjective. It is a fact.
i didnt say his most important work was striking forward, i was making the point that when hes been partnered by Gibson it gives him the freedom to go forward. if he was partnered by a "playmaker" then he would have to stay back to cover his defensive duties.

He doesn't drift as much as Rodwell and is more willing to ask for the ball, which gives Fellaini more room and a better sense of where he needs to be. There are obviously a thousand variables, but I think the fact we haven't lost a game he's played in is quite telling.

Again I just haven't seen that mate. Gibson's definitely got a decent reading of the game and will receive the ball, but more often than not I see Fellaini bypass him entirely and play it to Baines or recently Pienaar. I forget Gibson's even there, and I don't think that necessarily means he's the Lee Carsley type (doing an important, but often unseen job)... I think he might just be a passenger.

He's not been bad though, and right now with our injuries he's the best option we've got. I've got no qualms with him really, I just personally think Fellaini's good form is because of Fellaini. I think people are looking for reasons to explain it when the main one is right in front of you: Fellaini is ace.

i didnt say his most important work was striking forward, i was making the point that when hes been partnered by Gibson it gives him the freedom to go forward. if he was partnered by a "playmaker" then he would have to stay back to cover his defensive duties.

That's true, but again what has Fellaini done so great in the final third in the past few weeks?

I'd say he's been in good form because he's:

a.) Been dominating teams defensively; winning the ball back for us and
b.) Been then laying it off intelligently and calmly to players like Baines and Pienaar, who are the ones who get forward and make the difference up top.

I think people are looking for reasons to explain it when the main one is right in front of you: Fellaini is ace
Agree with this whole heartedly RFUS, i dont think gibson is the long term answer, just for our meagre budget hes doing that "carsley" role well enough. definately not long term though

I don't buy the whole 'Gibson is making Fellaini better' line. He's been invisible for large amounts of the games recently, and not in a good way.

That's my point really.

He does look rusty mind and I'm sure he's got more to give. It's just that, with a full squad, I think we already have better players in every position he might play.

Agree with this whole heartedly RFUS, i dont think gibson is the long term answer, just for our meagre budget hes doing that "carsley" role well enough. definately not long term though

It will certainly be interesting to see his role when Osman and Rodwell return.

It will certainly be interesting to see his role when Osman and Rodwell return.
Would like to see an extended run for Rodders and Fellani, i think thats the partnership that will be our doing, maybe with Barkley buzzing around them picking up the ball and attacking opppositions

Status
Not open for further replies.