Cup quarter final memories, good and bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbucktoo

Player Valuation: £2.5m
While we have been unsuccessful at winning a trophy for the last 25 years, we've had some cup runs that got us to the latter stages of the cup, within sniffing distance of ending our barren spell without a trophy. When you get to the quarter final you can really start to think its achievable, even when the team is not in top form.

I've been to quarter finals when we've won and been absolutely convinced that this was the year (Sunderland away replay 2012), and when we've lost and come out off the ground wondering how we were so poor (Wigan home 2013).

Looking back what are your best memories of cup quarter final days from the past?

1969 v Man Utd at Old Trafford - won 1 - 0 with Joe Royle kneeing the ball in from, IIRC, a corner. Big deal beating a team with Best, Charlton and Law but we had the better team at that point.

Murderous trouble afterwards but hey ho.

1969 v Man Utd at Old Trafford - won 1 - 0 with Joe Royle kneeing the ball in from, IIRC, a corner. Big deal beating a team with Best, Charlton and Law but we had the better team at that point.

Murderous trouble afterwards but hey ho.
A dangerous day to be an Evertonian at Old Trafford. As I remember, we had to fight our way back to the coaches after the match.
It was just as bad in 1983 when United scored in the 92nd minute (Macari or Stapleton?). Mayhem coming out of the ground at the Scoreboard End.

A dangerous day to be an Evertonian at Old Trafford. As I remember, we had to fight our way back to the coaches after the match.
It was just as bad in 1983 when United scored in the 92nd minute (Macari or Stapleton?). Mayhem coming out of the ground at the Scoreboard End.
Absolute gutting that result but there were the signs of a good team coming together

Best ones for me - Ipswich 1980,Newcastle 1995,Chelsea 2016. Goodison at it's finest against teams we supposedly had no chance of beating,if only we could have that bear pit type atmosphere today.
Worst ones - definitely Wigan,Man City in 81 was sore,losing the replay after being so close to winning the first tie and West Ham away in 91 after all that effort of knocking Liverpool out in the previous round.

If we had beaten Wigan in 2013 we would have had Millwall in the semi at Wembley, that would have been a crazy day.
That year there were so many bigger teams getting knocked out early that when the quarter final draw was made most people had their sights fixed on who we might get in the semi. Wigan looked set on being relegated, we had home advantage, everyone were all really up to celebrate a trip to Wembley. 0-3 down after half an hour, talk about being brought back down to earth with a bang!

Losing 3-0 to Wigan was the worse, I was gutted as I knew that if only we won that we would have won the cup, only to be proved right soon later.

Status
Not open for further replies.