Match Thread Crystal Palace v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roy’s post match was pretty spot on and echos a lot of the feeling around the handball rules (I know we profited today and aren’t complaining) because in general, the rules are ridiculous. His suggestion of players deliberately hitting the ball against hands isn’t that farfetched I don’t think
It is only going to work if defenders are reckless with where they position their arms. Keep them down and you're fine as the DCL and first Ward appeal show.

In fact it is genuinely comical that these shouts are coming out over an incident in the same game where two similar ones were turned down because the defender did keep his arms down.

Well he didn't do it on purpose ha its the same as offside the rule makers have totally lost sight of why these rules were brought in in the first place. To stop people standing in front of the goal and basically to stop people punching the ball away.
Are most free kicks and penalties given away on purpose though? I don’t think so.

Amazon refusing to give up on this handball thing, it was handball based on the rules and everything that's been given this season. I don't particularly agree with VAR and those decisions seem pretty stupid when the replays are slowed down so much it makes even the slightly movement towards the ball look even worse instead of the reality of real time, but the stupid decisions have at least been consistent so far.
That doesn't make the rules any less stupid..what were the people who make these rules thinking about?
Moving further away from the game I was brought up with...not for the better I fear.

Any stats from this? lsat time we won 2 away in a row? last time we won first 3 league games was 1993/4 i think?

2 away was Koeman's first season... not so long ago. But 1993 is correct. We lost the next three (Newcastle and Arsenal away, Villa home).

The Arsenal one saw THAT Wright goal which gets constantly played when it's his turn for a rub down from one of sky's cringeworthy 100 club shows on at like 3.30 am on weekdays.

The current interpretation is very difficult to have consistency with either. For me there are either 3 given today or none.

Roy is pragmatic enough to know they benefitted last week but he's completely right to say the rule is wrong. Dont get me wrong im very happy to take it today, but we will inevitably get stung under this law.

Palace probably deserved a draw, but we found a way to grind it out.
I think the difference is clear really. Dom and the first one the arms are straight down. The given one Ward has his arm about a foot or so off. Yeah it is splitting hairs but then again aren't we always in football? I mean no one thought the RS losing the league because a ball was a couple MMs short of the line was wrong.

He said he doesn't want to profit from them and he doesn't want to lose by them, he doesn't like the rule
OK. He’s saying that now because he’s peeved it went against him this week. Last week he was fine with it. I like Roy but look how many times we have suffered and because of that I just don’t feel sorry for him or Palace, that’s all.

Status
Not open for further replies.